Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Truck Shiat - Per Cook's Request...

99 4x4 Dually with the ZF6 got 15 in ideal conditions and 14.5 with everything else (city, windy, hills, loads <10,000 lbs). Only made short trips with anything heavy so my estimation is 11 mpg with >10,000 lbs.

Also that was nearly always wide open and billowing smoke
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    99 4x4 Dually with the ZF6 got 15 in ideal conditions and 14.5 with everything else (city, windy, hills, loads <10,000 lbs). Only made short trips with anything heavy so my estimation is 11 mpg with >10,000 lbs.

Also that was nearly always wide open and billowing smoke

just for reference my Dodge gets 15-17 mpg in ideal conditions and 11 for everything else.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    just for reference my Dodge gets 15-17 mpg in ideal conditions and 11 for everything else.
    That seems kind of low. Mine does about 19 mixed driving (mostly highway) and 13-15 towing the XJ. Did the bigger tires make that much a difference, or are you a hammer down kind of driver?
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    What's the expected realworld (ie what you all have gotten not what fags on the interweb says ) mileage hwy/city of a 2002 7.3 ford.

Im looking at a 02 ext cab long bed 2wd with around 90k on it.
    Ryno gets like 20 empty and 14 or so towing Pigpen with prety much this exact truck.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I would expect 14 city (depending on your definition of city) and 18 highway. I would also expect about 20 out of a 2wd on the interstate, excursion would do it. My dad's 7.3 single wheel 4x4s always got 15-16 on the highway.

Old dodge is still right on where it always is, 16.7mpg. If the transmission will ever go out I'll see what new injectors will do, they can't be that good anymore with 250K on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    That seems kind of low. Mine does about 19 mixed driving (mostly highway) and 13-15 towing the XJ. Did the bigger tires make that much a difference, or are you a hammer down kind of driver?
    Is yours hand calculated? If I keep it below 70 I can almost get 19.
    Born to Kill

Yes, that's hand calculated. I do keep it below 70.
    BDR

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I may have finally found a job where I fit in. Found out the boss has a chip in his D6 dozer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

True Hollywood Stry
    Alright, I'm probably buying an 03 death 250 2wd.
    I have zero knowledge of diesels other than the fact that I will now use the green handle at the gas station, and I'll will pay up the rear for oil changes.

Anything I need to know?

About how much is an oil change gonna run if I do it myself? Still 3-5k per oil change I assume.
    How often do I need to change the fuel filter? Brands to stay away from or use?

Also, anything to look for besides your standard used vehicle things like leaking oil, tires, etc that is diesel specific? What brand of chips are the best bang for the buck? I won't be adding one for a while if at all, but figured the info wouldn't hurt.

The history on the truck, it was bought by my girlfriends parents in like 06-07 with around 60-65k and the dealership had sold and serviced it since new and has been babied since. This is the main reason I like this truck because I know it hasn't been "Travis'd out" and has low miles for a 8yr old truck while being the last year of the 7.3l.

I feel this is a loaded question but, do you all with chips actually get better mileage if you don't drive like a bat out of he'll? Mainly interested in highway mileage?
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 04-19-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Alright, I'm probably buying an 03 death 250 2wd.
    I have zero knowledge of diesels other than the fact that I will now use the green handle at the gas station, and I'll will pay up the rear for oil changes.

Anything I need to know?

About how much is an oil change gonna run if I do it myself? Still 3-5k per oil change I assume.
    IIRC $50, every 5k should be pretty safe

How often do I need to change the fuel filter? Brands to stay away from or use?
    If possible stay away from the replacement top (just replace the filter)

Also, anything to look for besides your standard used vehicle things like leaking oil, tires, etc that is diesel specific? What brand of chips are the best bang for the buck? I won't be adding one for a while if at all, but figured the info wouldn't hurt.
    Check the factory airbox for dirt in the intake tube

The history on the truck, it was bought by my girlfriends parents in like 06-07 with around 60-65k and the dealership had sold and serviced it since new and has been babied since. This is the main reason I like this truck because I know it hasn't been "Travis'd out" and has low miles for a 8yr old truck while being the last year of the 7.3l.

I feel this is a loaded question but, do you all with chips actually get better mileage if you don't drive like a bat out of he'll? Mainly interested in highway mileage?

Check out DP tuner, that's what I had. Both mine and my Dad's old 7.3's went for more than 250k without any motor work.

Sometimes (as the case of the dually) the factory airbox lets to much dirt pass, this fixes it
    http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...988c7d4c27678a
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 04-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Born to Kill

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    I dont change my oil, it changes itself.

my TS chip on the second to highest setting got me 21mpg last tank and thats keeping it around 70, also get on ebay and find a cheap 4in turbo back kit. I spent just over 400 for exhaust and chip and it made a huge difference, only down fall is i would like to get a muffler.

major problem to look out for: fuel bowl o-rings going bad, turbo o-rings leaking, high pressure oil line going bad, and e-brake breaking.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    major problem to look out for: fuel bowl o-rings going bad, turbo o-rings leaking, high pressure oil line going bad, and e-brake breaking.
    I had all 3 of these happen on mine
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

True Hollywood Stry
    How would you identify the turbo o rings leaking?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

spray carb cleaner around it and see if the idle increases

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Pour gas all over the engine, then light a match....oh wait, that can't be right.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)