Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Truck Shiat - Per Cook's Request...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    7.3's weren't called powerstroke until 99. I'm pretty sure the PS and non-PS 7.3's are almost completely different engines but I could be wrong
    Powerstrokes came in late 94, difference being powerstrokes don't have an injection pump like the 7.3 idi
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

7.3's weren't called powerstroke until 99. I'm pretty sure the PS and non-PS 7.3's are almost completely different engines but I could be wrong
    I didn't read the year I guess.

but yeah, in 92 there was the non turbo idi, then in 93 and 94 you had a choice of a turbo or non turbo idi

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    mmmm, 32 year old truck with a 17 year old drivetrain.

Sounds like a dependable tow rig to me
    i would have thought this would be a comment from fred, but second in line would you flem.

FYI: Tommy you are dumb for wanting this rig, for that price you can get a reasonably new tow rig that will be much more reliable

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I chose to take the high ground and sit this one out.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

are you sure about this? I am pretty sure my 97 had a powerstroke badge on it
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I think it was the super duty 7.3's that were different than the pre-SD powerstrokes. It's been a while since I looked all that crap up for my grandpas truck.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    He's wrong, I think Knoeller's 92 had a powerstroke badge on it.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    He's wrong, I think Knoeller's 92 had a powerstroke badge on it.
    did it have glasspacks too? I cruised a 93 w/ 35's and glasspacks for a while in high school.

cool story I know
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"

Is Ed off the grid? I haven't heard from him on amsoil yet. I'm about to roll 13k on cheap oil and really need to get on this soonish.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    The Powerstroke name came in 95. However, the engine became available mid-94 with a manual only. In 94, you could get the old 7.3 with and auto or manual also.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    The Powerstroke name came in 95. However, the engine became available mid-94 with a manual only. In 94, you could get the old 7.3 with and auto or manual also.
    sounds familiar
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I guess all you kids are too damn young.

I am too young for the 6.9, will leave that one out.

7.3 came out with no turbo in 88 and was available that way thru 1994. Reliable engine that got good mileage. Power was less than the 460, more than 351.

In 1994 a turbo option was added to the old 7.3. These made no more power than the non turbo version, but did burn holes in pistons. Had a "Turbo" badge on the side.

In 1994 the new 7.3 direct injection turbo was introduced. It also had the "Turbo" badge on the side, it was not named "Powerstroke" until 1995, but was the same engine. These got slightly less mileage than the old 7.3, and had a whole lot more power. Downshifting on every hill was a thing of the past, and they could outrun dodges. Always ran but never right. Almost every part on these engines liked to break, besides the mechanical parts and the glow plugs. Did not matter that the glow plugs were always good because the controller and wire harness for them always went bad. Most common problems were the injectors and the flywheels (manual trans, Ford's autos still sucked at this time). This engine was used to 1998 (there were a few cab/chassis trucks called 1998). You could get 20-40 hp chips for these trucks, hardly made a difference.

1999 saw had a new powerstroke for the new body style and now included an intercooler, had issues with injectors and wire harness. Ford corrected this and the good powerstroke was really 99.5-2003. The early 99s were probably all upgraded to 99.5 style so they can be considered good too. Only remaining constant problem was the cam sensor, which costs $20-30 and takes 5 minutes to replace. These engines got slightly less mileage and had slightly more power than the previous ones. They were also the first Ford diesels that really responded to a tune. The best truck to have would be 02-03, slightly updated interior and much quieter. It was also with this generation of trucks that ford came out with a good automatic transmission.

2003 saw the introduction of the 6.0. 2003 and 2004 had many issues, mainly with head gaskets and egr coolers. 2005-2007 were pretty good but still had head gasket and egr cooler problems. I would not pass on one if it were cheap enough, as $3000 will fix the problems and get you a truck as reliable as the good 7.3s, with a better automatic transmission, better suspension, better brakes, better mileage, better everything. These trucks could make crazy power with just an intake, tune, and exhaust. My 2005 with just these mods would run the same as my little brother's 99 with intake, exhaust, tuner, aftermarket turbo, aftermarket injectors, and methanol injection.

2008-2010 6.4L were good engines, made a lot of power, but mileage really sucked. Deletion of DPF got mileage solidly into 2 digits. Last I drove one it had 34,000 lbs behind it, and the accelerator pedal never neared the floor, this was with air intake, SCT tune, DPF delete, and 4.30 gears though.

2011 6.7L, lots of talk. Amazing how well they run, and how smooth they accelerate, will pull 30,000 lbs with no struggle, completely stock. Mileage is not near what its talked up to be. Really about what the 7.3s got, less than the 6.0. It just seems really good compared to the previous trucks, and what dodge has to offer. Dually will get 15mpg, while single wheel runs about 16.5mpg. I would imagine a 2wd single cab would cruise at 20mpg. They haven't been out long, but I have not heard of one single issue.
    Last edited by eight; 04-28-2011 at 11:06 PM.

6.9 was the first diesel i ever drove

True Hollywood Stry
    Can I run 285's on the front of my 2wd f-250 without any rub, or do I need to stick with 265 or 275's?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    did it have glasspacks too? I cruised a 93 w/ 35's and glasspacks for a while in high school.

cool story I know
    Cherry bombs....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette