Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Truck Shiat - Per Cook's Request...

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I have a 4" downpipe - and all the way out the back 4" too. Wolverton, you should come over, I can show you all the things that I did to my Dodge to make it better.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

there is no aluminum exhuausts they are alumnized just a different galvanization. word to the wise just about every new car or truck comes with stainless exhaust, why take of a better material to put on bigger cheaper material go stainless or leave the factory. I would go with the mbrp I have put on the ford ones they fit right and come with much better hangers. the hanger are where the the cheaper kits skimp, I know this because I bought a bully dog kit a long lime ago and ended up cutting up all the factory hangers and reusing them and completely rerouting the system to keep the factory heat shields. u get what u pay for

school me on what came kind of diesel came in a 1988 ford? specs? trouble spots, etc. These are NA diesels right?

should be a n/a IDI 7.3 deisel. pretty plain and pretty gutless stock

I think that is a 6.9 still . way underpowered, but oddly enough the have a fairly large following much like the gm 6.5 optimizer

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    school me on what came kind of diesel came in a 1988 ford? specs? trouble spots, etc. These are NA diesels right?
    I think the 88 had the 7.3 engine.

Yeah its a NA motor. 88 did not have the serp belt witch kinda sucks. The alt belt likes to jump off at times. Some peeps put a extra idle pully to solve this problem.

The major problems

return lines leak air into the system so you have to change out the o rings. Not a big deal I have done it once on my truck. Parts are like 40 bucks.

Cavation on these engines is a killer. So you should watch your ph on your coolent.

Dual mass flywheels suck only on standards. Most people replace with a single mass flywheel from luk. Its about 600-700 bucks to convert.

Most guys get 200 to 300 k outta them.

Checkout thedieselstop.com there is a section for 7.3na and the 6.9

The 6.9 is the same with thicker walls so cavation is not as bad on these. But they have small head bolts that like to let loose when guys turbo them.

The banks website has the stock numbers for hp and stuff like that.

I wanna say its 180 hp at like 325 ft lbs.

Mine only has 107k on it. You should buy it.

never mind the truck sold. it was a running and driving f-350 crew cab 4 X 4 for $1000
    miles unknown. plan was to pull the engine/tranny and stick it in IH dually that we bought a while back and sell the axle and whatever else. I would like to put something like that in the IH and make daily driver. or just stick in replacement motor which would be a lot easier.... I'm too cheap though. I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    What, you don't want that already built one that I posted for cheap? Ryan can back me on the fact that it's well built and you have nothing to worry about.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

fbronco86
    never mind the truck sold. it was a running and driving f-350 crew cab 4 X 4 for $1000
    miles unknown. plan was to pull the engine/tranny and stick it in IH dually that we bought a while back and sell the axle and whatever else. I would like to put something like that in the IH and make daily driver. or just stick in replacement motor which would be a lot easier.... I'm too cheap though. I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?
    Why not stick a 5.3 in it?

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?

Watch out for the banjos, just ask Rowdy about this year in Clayton...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    What, you don't want that already built one that I posted for cheap? Ryan can back me on the fact that it's well built and you have nothing to worry about.
    B/C I'm not spending $750 dollars on an IH engine. I only paid $700 for the whole truck. I may have found part of the problem. I think the PO did not know the firing order of an IH engine and it was adavanced like a whole cylinder. N-I-C-E !

my Dad noticed this the other day. He didn't check the rest of the firing order. who knows. So, may just need a head job or ?? it does run. just not real well and smokes after a while.

so this is kinda like a diesel w/ the smoke...just to say I wasn't hijacking!

is the firing order the same as a chevy?
    Last edited by Graystroke; 02-12-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Danny had the same timing problem. He and Tommy had been trying to time it off the wrong cylinder all summer but once they set it correctly the mofo fired right up.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    yes, it's the same as a chevy...it is just timed off of number 8 instead of number 1. "Time off of No 8 CYL" is stamped into both valve covers. So instead of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 it is 8-4-3-6-5-7-2-1

Oh, and I'd buy that motor, but it's more fun to see how long the current one is going to last.
    http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.p...ght=place+bets
    Last edited by Fredo; 02-12-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Last edited by Jackasic; 02-22-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    um, your hard drive linked into the worldwideweb???
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.