Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Goshdarn heatercore

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    The cores are aluminum. The first two I replaced were from Napa and the third was a GM part. $90 down the ****ter on that one. And to whoever edited my title
    wasnt me

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    I would try distilled water and antifreeze.
    BRILLIANT Yah I've been running one jug of antifreeze and the rest of the system filled with distilled water since I've had the truck.

Brandon, I've thought about soldering the lines onto the core and may still go that route. It seems a little ghetto but cant be any worse than my putty fix.

Jimmy, I've just been running green **** in it, is dexcool the orange stuff that is supposed to be safe for any vehicle?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

BRILLIANT Yah I've been running one jug of antifreeze and the rest of the system filled with distilled water since I've had the truck.

Brandon, I've thought about soldering the lines onto the core and may still go that route. It seems a little ghetto but cant be any worse than my putty fix.

Jimmy, I've just been running green **** in it, is dexcool the orange stuff that is supposed to be safe for any vehicle?
    dexcool is the orange **** you're supposed to run in gm vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ.../aa052601a.htm

more then you ever wanted to know about dexcool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86

I am not sure when they started the dexcool deal. But I do know if you mix them your coolent turns black and gunks up everything.

So you would have to flush the crap outta it to change.

there are no more color designations. there is green stuff that is aluminum safe now. i doubt the truck in question requires dexcool. why do you even have a heater core?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ.../aa052601a.htm

more then you ever wanted to know about dexcool.
    Good article. According to it if my truck came with Dexcool and I put green **** in it, I'm prety much ****ed. It says in that case just keep using green coolant cause it is prety much impossible to flush all the old coolant out of the system and even the slightest bit of green will contaminate the Dexcool.

IIRC when I got my truck the coolant in it looked like muddy water so it was probably already contaminated. Anything that could contain coolant besides the engine block has been replaced since I've had the truck. I dont even know what kind of coolant it came with, I'll check my haynes manual when I get home.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

ill be your pickup man
    I always ran Dexcool, but apparently I didn't flush it enough and it corroded through the aluminum...
    http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.p...ighlight=tahoe
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

lowballing someone
    what year is your truck, and you can stull flush it all the way out. and refill with the correct stuff
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    why do you even have a heater core?
    Did you really mean to ask this?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Most of them are aluminum, aren't they?
    can you sweat aluminum to copper? i've never tried. acid core solder may work although i usually use it for refrigerant lines.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Did you really mean to ask this?

no

i think I will get my neighbor the AC guy to solder it up for me. You can flush the system with that Prestone Borax junk. I have used it a few times, works pretty good.