Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: High output alternator swap?

True Hollywood Stry
    the wires that run from my fan to the 12 volt source are like 8 gauge i think.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

12 gauge should be adequete for that application. The windstar fans I am running draw as much if not more power than any other fan out there so if wire that heavy is getting noticably hot the fan's motor might be fecked up.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJIMMY
    Alright so I put in it and wired it up, and it works. But, the wires wiring up the fans are still getting extremely hot, I put a relay on, got a bigger alternator, whats the deal? Im pretty sure the wire we used to wire up the fans is like 12 gauge or 10 maybe. Any suggestions?

yeah, quit touching the wire. poof, no more problem.

both of those solutions you mentioned would do nothing more than to put more current through the wire, therefore making it hotter. V=IR, I=heat

BIGJIMMY
    Well me and my buddy figured it out, its the ground wire that went from the fan to the body, I spliced it with a 12 gauge, and not a 10 gauge, so it was overheating the wire, so we fixed that and BOOM BABY! It works, my engine stays so much cooler now, and that alternator is nice too. Thanks for the help!

I found this application chart while browsing ebay so all you suckas wont keep bugging me about what vehicles CS144's came in.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by afroman006; 04-17-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    i need sharpe or weston to help me clock my case so i dont fawk something up
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJIMMY View Post
    Well me and my buddy figured it out, its the ground wire that went from the fan to the body, I spliced it with a 12 gauge, and not a 10 gauge, so it was overheating the wire, so we fixed that and BOOM BABY! It works, my engine stays so much cooler now, and that alternator is nice too. Thanks for the help!
    I know this guy doesn't exist anymore, but is he saying he swapped out a 10 gauge wire for a 12 gauge? I'm hoping he realizes like guns, wires get bigger the smaller their number.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    I know this guy doesn't exist anymore, but is he saying he swapped out a 10 gauge wire for a 12 gauge? I'm hoping he realizes like guns, wires get bigger the smaller their number.
    yeah i think he' saying he switched to a smaller wire and that was causing his problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!