Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranger One

I parted out a 4th gen Camaro a while back and kept the steering column to use in the Jeep. Two reasons, it is black instead of tan like the Jeep one I had and the multifunction switch on the blinker is in good shape, unlike the Jeep one. They are both GM columns, so almost everything is identicle. The Camaro column has the same double D shaft that fits the Jeep column underhood, but it is slightly longer and had a firewall mount welded to it. The upper mount on the Camaro column was different too. I was planning on modifying the Jeep pedal bracket to accept the Camaro column but I was easily persuaded to do it the other way around when I broke one of the aluminum collapsing pucks. I only had one bolt in and grabbed the wheel to get in. Anyhow, I cut the Camaro brackets off and replaced them with Jeep brackets. I cut the little threaded bosses off of the Jeep column and welded them to the Camaro column. It all bolted up after that.

I cut the support rod on the right side of the column mount that goes to the firewall off when I was planning on adapting the Camaro mounts. What does it do? Should I put it back?

One problem, the column is pointed to the right just a bit. I'm using all the same Jeep mounts and the firewall mount is scooted all the way to the right. Make sense? Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-16-2007 at 02:08 AM.

I know, I know, needs more cowbell.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    you don't need that extra support rod - cut mine off too. Not sure why it's pointed to the right though...

Have you checked gauge clearence? It can be a tight fit.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

See Robbie, I told you all the cool kids have straight A pillars.

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    you don't need that extra support rod - cut mine off too. Not sure why it's pointed to the right though...

Have you checked gauge clearence? It can be a tight fit.

yeah, gauges clear fine. I had to trim the lip on the tub a little though.

One of my TCS buddies, Josh Tutt, from Mast Motorsports came down and helped me get the initial hard stuff done and taught me bending 101 plus a little Shrockworks technique. It's about 120' of 1.75"x.120" wall DOM. Everywhere I've gotten sweat on it over the past few months has surface rust. I was gonna polish it up pretty for the pics but I'll just have to do it again before paint so this is what you get. I bent the diagonals between the A and B pillars to give more head clearance.

Last edited by agjohn02; 03-14-2008 at 11:59 AM.

The B pillar is as high as it can be and still fit a soft top, as you can see in the pic.

The dash bar either had to go above or below the wiper motor. Putting it below blocks the top inch or two of the dash from view and I didn't want to do that.

Last edited by agjohn02; 03-14-2008 at 12:00 PM.

I initially was going to keep the seat sliders on the driver's side so my mom and little brother could drive the Jeep with no problem. The passenger side was a definate no on the sliders due to the transmission tunnel.

Seat mounts version 1.0 (minus mounting tabs)
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-16-2007 at 01:55 AM.

I mounted both seats as low as I could and not have to drill holes in the floor to stick bolts through from the bottom side. The driver's seat was still higher than the passenger's and made my head feel a bit claustrophobic amoungst the steel cage bars. So, I shortened the seat brackets as much as I could and still get them to go together and slide through the full range of motion.

Seat mounts version 2.0
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-16-2007 at 01:53 AM.

This still didn't get the driver's seat low enough for me, so after considering the fact that my little brother won't be short for long and my mom could still drive the Jeep even if she had to point her toe, I decided to do away with the seat sliders and hard mount both sides.

Seat mounts version 3.0

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    cage came out pretty good. I especially like the curved corner gussets - although they must've taken a while to notch out! Speaking of notching, that main intersection of tube looked like a challenge. Why were you holding out the pics for so long?? Mines been welded up for quite some time...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    cage came out pretty good. I especially like the curved corner gussets - although they must've taken a while to notch out! Speaking of notching, that main intersection of tube looked like a challenge. Why were you holding out the pics for so long?? Mines been welded up for quite some time...

got mine powder coated two weeks ago, HA!

I've got another project to work on for the next few weeks, so Jeep progress wil slow just a bit. I'd tell you about it but it's top secret and I'd have to kill you afterwards and blow up the internet.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-16-2007 at 08:47 AM.

"Eduardo" - The Pink Jeep Lynda's Avatar
    Yeah, so where are those pics?
    Lynda
    Project "CJ" in the works: http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&highlight=lynda

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    Everywhere I've gotten sweat on it over the past few months has surface rust.
    Yeah, between the constant rain and humidity, my tubing looks like **** because of all of the rust.

That is really sweet looking John! It's going to be really nice. You guys almost inspire me to finish out my floor.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'