Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranger One

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Ok, now this all makes sense. Just checkin.

Just had some work roll in the gate so will discuss more with you later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

show some real picsv BTW, did I leave my keys in the shop?

Do you think the seam on a piece of square tubing is going to break? And if so why did you put it forward? I think longer shackles are neato, I need some longer ones for the rear of the Belle, inverted one at Katemcy.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasic
    did I leave my keys in the shop?

Haven't seen them but I'll look today. Can you not get it there without them?

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Do you think the seam on a piece of square tubing is going to break?
    It'll break before the seamless side will. Unless you just weld the whole tube to sheetmetal with no re-enforcing. Then it will just cave in the whole side of your cab.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    It's always a good idea to put the weak side of the structure toward the greatest stress...
    So thats why you put the seam on the OUTSIDE of your bumper?

Methinks I'll have bigger fish to fry if 3x6 1/4 wall slider ruptures at the seam.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    It'll break before the seamless side will. Unless you just weld the whole tube to sheetmetal with no re-enforcing. Then it will just cave in the whole side of your cab.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Ok, enough about the friggin' seam on the bumper already. You won't see it by the time I'm done with it.

On with the build...

Once I had all the suspension hardpoints on, I bolted the axles under it and started working on the drivetrain. The engine is a GM 5.3L V8 from a 2002 Chevy Truck. The transmission is a 4L60E 4 speed auto from a 2003 Chevy Suburban. It's the new style with a removable bell housing and six bolts on the rear. Steve at A Pick-up Parts in Houston threw in the NP241 adapter for free. I got everything with it except a starter. I forgot to ask for it, but other than that he was willing to let me pull parts that were missing off of other engines. He even let me have an extra wiring harness because there was some damage to the one on it. I got a starter at Doggett's along with about $50 worth of free accessory bolts. If you need any GM metric bolts for one of these engines, go to the junkyard. They pull the accessories off of the engines either before or during pulling them out of the trucks and throw all the bolts in the bed.

edit: I just realized that I need to clarify for this bunch. They let me have the bolts for free. I did not steal them!

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by agjohn02; 03-14-2008 at 11:38 AM.

fbronco86
    Everything you go to pick-a-part you have to steel something just to cover the $2 entry fee. I normally take some extra injectors and fuses.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    not trying to start ****, but curious. Did you verify that your motor is actually a 5.3?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    not trying to start ****, but curious. Did you verify that your motor is actually a 5.3?
    Yes, I learned that from the Great Brune Debacle of '05-06. I carried a pen light and a spark plug wrench with me. After tons of research by me and a GM service manager, it is concluded that piston inspection is the only way to tell the difference.

You can also pop the oil pan off and tell by the crank/rods, but who wants to do that?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Exactly. You'd have to measure the throw. There are no stampings I know of to denote a diffence, is there? Do they actually use different rods or are the wrist pins just moved down on the 4.8 pistons?

I can't remember if it's marked 4.8 on the rods or there is an actual casting number, but I remember there was something on the inside where we were able to tell.

Found a couple more pics of the springs and axles under the frame and my in-lb torque wrench for checking pinion bearing pre-load.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by agjohn02; 03-14-2008 at 11:39 AM.