Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: C-clip eliminators

Gearhead61

C-clip eliminators

Is it worth the money to pick these up for my trail rig? I've got a 12 bolt out of a 72 blazer. Do they really break that often? Would it be better to just keep some spare c-clips and gear oil with me? The zuk might be flat-towed occasionally, so would it be a better idea to get a c-clip eliminator kit for that reason? I've also read you need to have one if you plan on running a spool (which I do). What is your take on it? Thanks!

There is no use in carrying spare C-clips because they (usually) do not actually break. I assume you've never taken a c-clip axle apart. The C-clips' only purpose is to hold the shaft in the housing. They are located in the differential so if an axle shaft breaks, there is nothing stopping the outside portion of the shaft from sliding out of the axle tube. This is where the eliminators come in. They are pressed onto the outside ends of the shafts so that if the shaft breaks, the wheel and outer shaft will remain on the vehicle.

I can see why you'd need the eliminators to run a spool. I doubt anyone would make a spool with provisions for the clips because spools are generally used in high performance applications where someone would be using the eliminators anyway.

IMO if you are sticking with a stock type differential for now, I wouldnt bother with the eliminators until after you actually break a shaft on the trail.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah with a 12 bolts or any half ton, you sammy will be able to take a pretty decent amount of abuse, also search on here for welded differentials, its cheaper than a spool and is prolly a little easier, unless you are dead set on it.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Shaggy
    keep it cheap... maby get an extra shaft but dont spend the money if not needed dont ask me how i know

Gearhead61
    I've taken apart my Ford 8.8 in the ranger before, and it's a c-clip axle. I've just read that things break and the wheels fall out, so I just figured it'd be a C-clip that broke. I think welding would be a good alternative, and it's good to know that I won't have to worry about the eliminators... That's an extra 150 bucks I could spend on something better.

Shaggy
    it is never the c-clip that breaks it is always the axle... an axe and some rope can get you off the trail but i say always keep spare shafts just incase

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    weld the piss out of it
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Gearhead61
    Hmmm... Paul must have kept the piss for himself... there's no piss in my axle?

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    not funny... just weld it and save yourself some money, dont **** with the c clip eliminator they are more trouble then they are worth and leak like a *****
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

curious about why you want to use a 12 bolt in the sammi anyway?

Gearhead61
    ok ok it was a lame attempt at humor, sue me.

I got the 12 bolt for a good price and I want full-size axles for a wider stance for stability. The weight of the axles will help put my center of gravity lower down too. It should be plenty strong to hold up to what that little 4 cylinder can throw at it in stock form.

you paid money for a 12 bolt?

Just messing with you, but I think in your case you may be better sticking with something a little narrower. With something the width of a sami, even running toy axles is a big upgrade and seem much wider. I always thought a waggy d44 and a isuzu 12 bolt (nothing similar to a chevy 12 bolt) would be a great combo for a suzuki. It would give you a good width, 4 wheel discs, and be pretty cheap

If you already have it, I'd say weld it up and run it. I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking it. What are you going to run in the front?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Gearhead61
    I have a full-size D44 for the front. I could have paid about $100 more for a pair of yota axles and had to pick them up in San Antonio... but I figured I'd try something different! I've seen a few guys run fullsize axles on a sammi with good success, so we will see how it turns out.

i like sammis with fullsizes under them. just run a lot of backspacing.