Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LT1 running like A**

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar

LT1 running like A**

lately my caprice has been running really crappy. It has no balls until 2500 rpm, runs super rich, and has a really rough idle but no check engine light. It has done this before and one of the o2 sensors was to blame. I just wanna see if there could be anything else before i go replacing the other one. Fred???
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

make sure the o2 sensors have good grounds. the little clip on grounds dont stay grounded very well. i think i put worm clamps on mine.

I can scan it for you sometime, maybe tomorow evening.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

what's it do before the opti-spark dies?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    what's it do before the opti-spark dies?

why is this everyone's first guess at any problem with an LT1?

"she's running hot."

"uh oh, the opti's about to crap out on you."

Didn't yours die? Aren't they known to be problematic and don't throw the engine light like an O2 sensor probably would.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Didn't yours die? Aren't they known to be problematic and don't throw the engine light like an O2 sensor probably would.

i dont know if mine went out or not. i havent had time to look at it. yes its a problem, but really only when the pump goes out and dumps water on it from what i understand. the opti is a pretty sudden failure. like getting water in your dizzy. doesnt make it run bad, just makes it not run.

sometimes o2 sensor codes don't give a check engine light. sharpes scanner should tell you if either of them is bad. if they don't cost an arm and a leg, I'd replace both so both cylinder banks will be even.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    No, the optispark dying isn't a sudden failure. I've known more than a few to progressively get worse. A lot of times they run just fine unless it's a cool humid day, or a really hot humid day. They become very tempermental. It's mainly on the 92-94 non-vented optisparks though. The 95-97s don't seem to be as problematic as the non-vents. If I remember correctly, the 94 Caprice's and Impala's got the vented before the 95 model year. Suprising it got something before the corvette, but I think it had to do with the caprice police package.

Ryan, what I would do is if Sharpe actually has a realtime scantool and not a code reader, hook it up, see what the o2 voltages are and see where the fuel trim blm's are at. They should be somewhere around 128. If there is a large difference from the left bank to the right (15 or so) then you might have a bad o2, or a clogged fuel filter, bad injector, clogged catalytic converter, bad MAF sensonr, throttle position sensor, water in the fuel, or a bad opti.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

it took you long enough to search ls1tech for that, sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Ryan, what I would do is if Sharpe actually has a realtime scantool and not a code reader, hook it up, see what the o2 voltages are and see where the fuel trim blm's are at. They should be somewhere around 128. If there is a large difference from the left bank to the right (15 or so) then you might have a bad o2, or a clogged fuel filter, bad injector, clogged catalytic converter, bad MAF sensonr, throttle position sensor, water in the fuel, or a bad opti.
    its just a code reader i think. can't you just use a meter to read the ohms at the plug? i doubt it is as precise as your method but it should work

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

bad injectors do not make it run crappy. i had two that were frozen when i first got the scout running. other than power and exhaust note, i couldnt tell a difference. i towed my boat and all my crap to south texas before i figured out what the problem was. i used a stethoscope to figure out which ones werent working, tapped on them with a screwdriver and they broke loose and have worked fine ever since.

does the car run better under light throttle than it does if you get on it?

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    it took you long enough to search ls1tech for that, sheesh
    Yep....you got me.....that's exactly what I did
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    bad injectors do not make it run crappy. i had two that were frozen when i first got the scout running. other than power and exhaust note, i couldnt tell a difference. i towed my boat and all my crap to south texas before i figured out what the problem was. i used a stethoscope to figure out which ones werent working, tapped on them with a screwdriver and they broke loose and have worked fine ever since.

does the car run better under light throttle than it does if you get on it?
    Yeah, that is true. I've heard for 5.3's being notorious for this after sitting up for awhile. Just store that one away for later John.

my injectors havent been sitting very long