Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Detroit vs. lunchbox locker

Gearhead61

Detroit vs. lunchbox locker

Is there any advantage to running a detroit soflocker over purchasing a new carrier and sticking a lunchbox locker (aussielocker, lockrite, etc) in there? I think the detroit comes out to be like $200 more expensive. Are they really THAT good?

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    what are you putting a locker in? for stegnth yes the full replacement carrier is best, but it all depends on how hard you are gonna beat on it and what its going in. Personally i dont waste money on lockers, i just weld the **** out of my diffs, its virtually free, easy and depending on who welds it its strong; and if you break it you arent out any cash just reweld it!. For vehicle that rarelly sees the road (unless i feel like getting tickets that day) you cant beat it.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

For a sammy? a lunbox locker ought to be fine, I'm probly going to use one when/if I build my bronco II. I have my front 44 welded right now with chromoly shafts and only 35's and I brake something everytime I go out. Its also in a full size and my right foot gets heavy sometimes.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Gearhead61
    It'll be for a sammy. I've got a D44 front (fullsize) that it will be going in. Ultimately I think I'll run ~37 or 38" tires. I thought about welding, but I've heard that REALLY kills your turning radius? I'll probably weld the rear though.

weld the rear, lunchbox for the front. Keep the gears you have, and therefore skip changing carriers, and just regear the t-case really low. It would be much cheaper

Gearhead61
    Well the rear gears are toast, so I'll have to get some new gears back there one way or the other. Might as well do the front while I'm at it. I was planning on 6.5:1 transfercase gears, which will also give me about 20% reduction in high range also. I just think that little 1.3L needs all the help it can get to turn the bigger tires. It'll be a little extra money, but the cost to regear the front/rear axles is about the same cost as regearing the tcase.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    what do you plan on doing to the wheelbase on this thing, with fullwidths and 38's it is going to be much wider then it it long and look dumb. if it were me ide sell the d44 get some yota axles and 33-35's and lengthen it a bit and call it good, kinda like Jess'...http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.p...0&page=7&pp=15
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Gearhead61
    The wheelbase will end up being around 100" when all is said and done.

if the rear is bad, go ahead and move on to another type of axle. The 12 bolt is only a good deal if you left it stock. Otherwise its just a turd your polishing. And regearing can get expensive, especially when you factor in carriers and so forth (believe me, I wish I had stayed with the stock gears on the 4runner instead of 6.16s). Plus it makes finding replacements alot easier. The zuk t-case is cool because regearing it not only regears the low range, but the high range as well, therefore lessening the need for lower axle gears. Plus it seems like the sky is the limit as far as how low you can go with zuk stuff. Aren't there kits out there in excess of 7 to 1 gearing?

what you should do is go buy that ford D60 that was mentioned in the for sale section, spin it around and run it in the back, and have 4 wheel steer

I think there is an 8.**to 1 i think out there.

Gearhead61
    Yeah they make up to 8.11:1 tcase gears now for zuk tcases. They're like 1000 bucks though. 6.5:1 kits can be had for $475 though, and that's what I'm planning on.

I won't have to change carriers for the 12 bolt though will I? I thought it was just the D44 that needed a different carrier? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to slap some new gears in the 12 bolt, weld it up, and run it than finding a new axle and putting it together? What else could I get for a decent price that'd have matching ratios with the front 44? I don't have much experience working with all this stuff, so I'm looking for simplicity right now I guess.

That D60 would be fun, but I don't have that kind of knowledge or money!
    Last edited by Gearhead61; 03-28-2007 at 03:56 PM.

I'm unsure on the 12 bolt, but most axles require a different carrier at some point when jumping to deeper gears.

Gearhead61
    I haven't seen anything... I will keep looking.

what gears are you planning for the axles?