Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Detroit vs. lunchbox locker

Gearhead61
    The R&P in the D44 is 3.73. I guess all I'm thinking about the 12 bolt is that I've got it, so I might as well run it, since I won't be able to sell it for anything. I may look around the yards in Dallas though and see if I can find something for a decent price.

How much should I expect to pay for 8-lug outers? Will only the ones off a D44 work?

How many lugs does an Isuzu 12 bolt have? And which vehicles could I find a fullsize axle under?

all isuzus are 6 lug. I'll find the width info for you later

it has been said on every page, got a 60, or some other axel
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449731
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399904
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=539429&page=2
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504895

this is all related to the 12 bolt. I think this axle will increase in popularity if more people knew about the different versions of it. The reason I like this axle is that since no one knows about them, they are cheap, even free. Like I said, most versions are disk brake, and all are 6 lug. They have flanges that will make it easier to attach your sammi driveshaft. There are widths ranging from 58 to 63+ inches. And don't worry if you're front axle is a little wider than the rear axle, thats normal. The axle housing is alot like a toy, so it should be very easy to shave for more clearence.

The only drawback I know of is there isn't much aftermarket support. Your locker options are welded, ARB, or lockright for the older (smaller) version, and welded only for the late model (bigger) version. For the older version, 4.56 gears are normally stock, and there are 5.38s available, but may not be for long. For the newer version there is only 4.30 stock, with no aftermarket gears. I would grab the widest version of the older diff, and regear your D44 to match (4.56). BTW, the pics in link 2 show the older style diff in comparison with a toy diff (smaller of the two), so you can imagine how big the late model axle is.

edit: more info here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232723
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 03-30-2007 at 11:01 AM.

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah but how plentiful are these axles to find
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Gearhead61
    I did some searching on carpart.com for the isuzu axle... Most of the ones I found in the area (either Houston or Dallas/Ft. Worth) were in the $150-$200 range. Which years of truck should I search for a Dana 60?

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    yeah but how plentiful are these axles to find
    I've seen several in the yards here. I mean basically every isuzu that is not a rodeo has one. That place out on 21 with all the foreign cars probably has several. I just missed getting a free one a few months back when greg grosz hauled one to the scrap yard.

And don't do the car-parts.com thing. They way overcharge everything. Go to a yard, make sure they have what you want, and then go haggle. So far everything I've stripped off an isuzu I ended up getting free

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    weld the rear, lunchbox for the front. Keep the gears you have, and therefore skip changing carriers, and just regear the t-case really low. It would be much cheaper
    I used to like this idea but from experience, the welded rear pushes the front straight and that is what screws up the turngin radius. Put the locker in the rear and weld the front.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    I used to like this idea but from experience, the welded rear pushes the front straight and that is what screws up the turngin radius. Put the locker in the rear and weld the front.

ive heard this a bunch and totally believe its possible, but ive never noticed it in the scout

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    you have a boat anchor ontop of your front axle though that surely helps to keep traction on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

My old truck had a detriot rear, welded front. My buggy had a spool rear, detriot front. I could barely make the truck turn on the rocks in katemcy, and it pushed like crazy. The buggy always turned fine, even before I installed the hydro assist. No real pushing that I noticed

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I don't think that it was the welded front that made your old truck hard to turn, it was probably that you had to be on the gas while turning. Best was to turn with a Detroit in Moab or Katemcy is to bump the throttle to let it unlock the rear. The front tires will already be turned the way that you want them to go, they are not the cause of the problem.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

say what you will, but I never had the problem until I welded the front, and even on low traction surfaces when giving it gas, I couldn't get the thing to turn. I mean it was a fight with the steering wheel. I don't know how it would have been with hydro assist, but without it, it sucked

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I kind of noticed this in the Jeep at Katemcy back in February but really didn't give it much thought since I'd just stretched it. I had the front welded and a powertrax locker in the rear but when the locker started to disengage randomly due to missing pins Ryan and I just welded it up no problems since. It's pretty hard to say whether or not I can tell since I change things on the Jeep so much.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I just use the twin sticks makes it turn real nice
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?