Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things to look for on an 85 22RE efi Toy Truck....

Things to look for on an 85 22RE efi Toy Truck....

Sadly my truck is going up for sale so I can finance a new home. I am the second owner it was formerly a member's truck in CO and if anyone recalls I had he(( getting the title due to the bastards in Kommunist Kalifornia DMV, the truck now has a clean TX title that I have IN HAND. Truck is mostly stock runs great I drove it down from CO when I bought it and I took it deer hunting between sweetwater and Abilene Approx. 300 miles each way. Never died on me and starts every time even in recent snow and ice storm. It does not burn or leak oil or anything else.

4x4 solid axle
    4cylinder EFI
    190,500 miles
    4.10 gearing
    5speed manual
    tranny and transfer case shift great
    Brand new MT Baja Claws 33x12.5x15 on black steel rims
    blue and black waterproof seatcovers from ebay that look great
    Sony CD player
    4" lift springs of unknown etiology
    black brush guard flimsy but gives illusion of ruggedness
    passes inspection easily
    Earl Scheib metallic blue (but can be any other color you can think of for like $300)

Truck has been great for me as a hunting rig and mild wheeler but also has great potential for a super flexy rig with the marlin or all pro kit which is what I was going to do with it, but I gotta do the responsible thing...... I guess.
    As I said in cody's box, I'm looking at picking this truck up. Only real problem is it's in Lubbock so I can't check it out/drive it easily. Talked to the guy and he has family in Abilene, so we could meet there to check it out. But before I make that trip, I don't know **** about the older toys other than I like the way they look - so what am I looking for? Chris talked about some rust problem areas that I'm going to have the owner take pictures of to send me, but anything else?

Here's the pictures that he's sent me so far, some are older than others....

Anyone want to make that trip if I head out to buy it? If not, I'm going to have to rent/borrow a trailer and tow it with the taco...

I live between lubbock and abilene. I may run to lubbock one day but it will cost ya a 6 pack for me to look at it.

ide say go for it, it will be alot more fun to wheel and you won't worry when you roll it over cause you have a DD
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Have him take a picture of the space between the frame and the gas tank. he will have to do this from directly under the tank. Rust starts on the body in the bed, and at the corners of the bottom of the windshield, due to a bad design that allows water to collect there. Pics of the underside of the entire vehicle is a good idea to look for damage, leaks, etc. Why was the truck repainted? Rear bumper is not stock, so check for damage from an accident back there (the frame rails on the 4runner are damaged from a accident). The front fenders and hood near the lights don't look like they quite line up, so there may be some damage there. The engine is clean, maybe to clean, which means check it over well. Listen to the engine run. Many of these trucks have a normal tick, but listen for the timing chain slapping the guides, meaning it will need to be replaced or it will cause major problems.

do you just **** money?

watch out for the head gasket... about the only useful info i got right off.

i learned every in and out of a 22re and how every wire works when i swapped one in the charlie truck

... untill the head gasket blew going doing the highway

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    do you just **** money?
    Yes, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    Have him take a picture of the space between the frame and the gas tank. he will have to do this from directly under the tank. Rust starts on the body in the bed, and at the corners of the bottom of the windshield, due to a bad design that allows water to collect there. Pics of the underside of the entire vehicle is a good idea to look for damage, leaks, etc. Why was the truck repainted? Rear bumper is not stock, so check for damage from an accident back there (the frame rails on the 4runner are damaged from a accident). The front fenders and hood near the lights don't look like they quite line up, so there may be some damage there. The engine is clean, maybe to clean, which means check it over well. Listen to the engine run. Many of these trucks have a normal tick, but listen for the timing chain slapping the guides, meaning it will need to be replaced or it will cause major problems.

I'll have him take the pics. And I think he may work for a paint shop or something, because he offered to have it repainted at Earl Scheib or something before the sale.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    do you just **** money?
    No, but I did hear he wipes w/ it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

And as far as I'm concerned, buying this will save me money, this way I can use my taco as a trade in instead of keeping it as a wheeler. But I'm not sure I'm ready to loose the taco yet.

didnt you buy a tundra or was that just an idea

i was thinking you had a tundra, taco and wanted to buy this yota

and talking about buying a house with a 3 car garage straight out of school...

i was a bit confused
    Last edited by J Cooper; 03-29-2007 at 08:11 PM.

didnt you buy a tundra or was that just an idea

i was thinking you had a tundra, taco and wanted to buy this yota
    No, just looking right now. Just have the taco and the Nightrider Bike

wanna buy charlie ?

wanna buy charlie ?

Like the body style, don't like the treefiddy or the price tag