Thread: Best aftermarket axleshafts/u joints?

Best aftermarket axleshafts/u joints?

I've been looking hard at replacing my 35 spline D60 shafts and u joints due to the added weight of the 44s, and especially after reading up on running water in the front tires. I think that with just the 44s it's only a matter of time until I break something up front, and I'm going to have to try water now.

Any opinions? I'm looking at the Alloy USA 4340 inners/outers and either CTM or Longfield 300M joints or the Longfield CV shafts. Are the CV shafts worth the extra money?

I don't think the longfields are much more expensive when you put the whole axle set together, the longfields cv's also turn more(45 degree), don't jerk, and are 300m i think (stubs pretty sure). that being said I am setting my steering up for them and hopefully will get a set sometime soon

I'd go with the longfields if I could afford them. Like its been said, more steering angle, smoother running, and I like how its sealed. The shafts are 300M, the bell 4340, and the inner race is 300M. I've run longfields of one sort or another in all my toy axles, and bobby makes a quality product and is a good guy to talk with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    I've been looking hard at replacing my 35 spline D60 shafts and u joints due to the added weight of the 44s, and especially after reading up on running water in the front tires. I think that with just the 44s it's only a matter of time until I break something up front, and I'm going to have to try water now.

if you really want to add weight that badly. why dont you just get rid of that big block ford and put a 345 in there?

ide say for strength run either CTM shafts and u-joints or the Longfields

ide go with longfields because they will turn smoother
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    if you really want to add weight that badly. why dont you just get rid of that big block ford and put a 345 in there?
    I'm fairly certain I'd give up some power in that swap.

It's not just weight, it's sprung vs. unsprung weight and how it affects weight transfer when climbing. There's a pretty good thread on Pirate in Gen4x4.