Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 4 runner

IFS rigs are better platforms to start with, actually, since they are easier and cheaper to come by, and have better parts

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert
    i tried that route, bad idea. bank still had the title and he needed money quick. plus i was in a hurry to get the hell outta there. I dont plan on heading east for any of my purchases again. however, i did sell the samurai for $800 to some guy out of east Texas. so i guess it goes both ways. think a running IFS rig is worth 1200? from what i can tell, ill spend a little more to preform a sfa, but much better parts. I cant find where a decent 85 anything was sold for less than 2K. or is my logic way off?
    Nah your right, all the 85's that are half way decent get snatched up by the toyota cult. I (and this is only my opinion) would rather save the money now and get a late model 1st gen 4runner and get all your ducks in a row and do the SAS right with a good axle. I don't know what else you want to do but depending on the size tires you wanna run, and with either the 22re or the 3.slow v6's that were in those 1st gen 4runners if you put any kind of good size tire you are going to want to regear and then you know if you put anything over a 34" tire on stock toyota axles you WILL break something, so I say get everything lined up now, what size tires, gears, lockers(welded) and lift you wanna do to a runner and then make the decision to buy an <85 model or just go ahead with the IFS and put the correct axle and gears under her.

Again I have ****ty opinions so take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    As for the all poop kit, skip it. You can build a SAS kit for a fraction of that cost
    Not to mention their customer service is far from stellar...

I stay clear of anything All-Pro (that is untill they start selling better gears for my FJC, THEN I might start going crazy on the FJC...)

when i checked the vin it was registered in central cali for the first ten years and central texas for the latter ten. the front end doesnt look bad, neither does the tailgate? Im susposed to get pick of the rear portion of the frame by the front hangers and under body shots too. seems to be a common problem with the fenderwell rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    Nah your right, all the 85's that are half way decent get snatched up by the toyota cult. I (and this is only my opinion) would rather save the money now and get a late model 1st gen 4runner and get all your ducks in a row and do the SAS right with a good axle. I don't know what else you want to do but depending on the size tires you wanna run, and with either the 22re or the 3.slow v6's that were in those 1st gen 4runners if you put any kind of good size tire you are going to want to regear and then you know if you put anything over a 34" tire on stock toyota axles you WILL break something, so I say get everything lined up now, what size tires, gears, lockers(welded) and lift you wanna do to a runner and then make the decision to buy an <85 model or just go ahead with the IFS and put the correct axle and gears under her.

Again I have ****ty opinions so take it or leave it.
    what i have in my head for a baseline is 35-36in tires, dual cases, and either detroits or carrier lockers (depending on funds). like i said, i not going to go balls deep all at once, but progress over the next few years. but first thing i would do is a SAS to have the good base to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert
    what i have in my head for a baseline is 35-36in tires, dual cases, and either detroits or carrier lockers (depending on funds). like i said, i not going to go balls deep all at once, but progress over the next few years. but first thing i would do is a SAS to have the good base to go on.
    Like I said the old toyota axles sucked at anything over 35's. I would go IFS and do it. I would talk the 4runner guy down to a grand and buy it.

like I said, that thing looks abused and rusted out. I'd keep looking, or take a little time and save some cash for something better. If you could get 3k together, your options would greatly improve.

Marlin, Front Range, Sky Mfg, and Inchworm are good toy vendors to support. After some bad experiences with All poop, I won't deal with them anymore. And we won't even start on trail gear

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    Like I said the old toyota axles sucked at anything over 35's. I would go IFS and do it. I would talk the 4runner guy down to a grand and buy it.

only the birfs sucked, and there are fixes for those which can be had for much cheaper than the parts needed to beef many other axles

...And we won't even start on trail gear

Can you say stolen designs, cheap chinese manufacturing. bad businees ethics, back stabbing bastards...there is a lot you can start on trail gear...

But I second Marlin and Inchworm, good companies, good people.

trail gear represents all that is wrong in todays business world in my opinion. What they do really sickens me. But everyone keeps on supporting them because they sell a part for a little cheaper than thier competitor. It doesn't matter that every part they make is a copy of someone elses part, and that they produce the part in china. All anyone cares about is that they saved 10 bucks or got a t-shirt. Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.

I dont want to spend 3K on something that i know i will eventually screw up. Id rather start off cheap and work my way up and start from scratch, rather than picking up where someone else left off. Im not dead set on this 4runner in a anyway but im not going to spend over 1500 for a vehicle. theres alot i can do with 1500-2000. im trying to keep an overall price cap at 5k.

i was thinking marlin for all the drivetrain needs, so thats good to know they're not criminals.

Shaggy
    good luck keeping it under 5k.... it never works out that way

looks good on paper though, doesnt it. haha. thats basically the reason for me wanting to start out cheap. that way im not in over my head before i know it. i will eventually pass the 5k mark (4link F&R, full cage, etc). but for now, thats what i want to keep it at.

trail gear represents all that is wrong in todays business world in my opinion. What they do really sickens me. But everyone keeps on supporting them because they sell a part for a little cheaper than thier competitor. It doesn't matter that every part they make is a copy of someone elses part, and that they produce the part in china. All anyone cares about is that they saved 10 bucks or got a t-shirt. Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.
    that has got to be the wierdest outlook on outsourcing I have ever read. the person that can produce it for the least can can also sell it for least, therefor they will probably sell the most. seems to me the easiest way to production is to cut out the R & D time and use a unpatented existing part not the most ethical but niether is alot of other business practices. If these companies were smart (or very concerned about product identity) they should get patent's on the pieces. I think there are plenty of other companies doing the same thing and a few even come to mind. yukon and professional products are 2.

Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.
    You'd really base whether or not you'd help someone out based on what parts are on their truck?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.