Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 4 runner

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert
    damn, talk about a hateful hijack! continue *****ing at eachother though. its more fun/interesting this way.

anyways. i didnt know the thrifty nickel had a website, thanks. whenever i go somewhere im always looking around for anything cool. im conviently going to be 20min from the red 4runner this weekend, so im going to stop by and take a gander, cant hurt. Ill inspect it and if the rust isnt bad and it drives/runs good, ill pull out 1000 cash and see if they want to deal. if not o-well.

also, was there a new law passed that makes it expensive to transfer a title? something about paying tax on full value possible value and not what you paid? or did i pull this outta my ass?

sorry about how my little rant on TG kinda took over the thread. There was discussion about passing a law requiring payment on the bluebook value of a vehicle, but to my knowledge it never went into effect. I transfered my title in september, and it didn't cost much.

As for the 4runner, just be careful. I know I hate rusty rigs, but I have cut up alot of toys, and the rust on that one just looks bad. I mean when a smittybuilt bumper is rusted through as well, that is a warning sign to me that there may be unseen problems. The problem is the worse place for rust is not easily accessable unless you drop the gas tank. If the tank is sitting up against the frame (no gap), and there is alot of rust overall, I can almost gaurentee you may have a weak frame, if not a big hole rusted through there. Since its a 4runner, try to get him to let you pop the cover above the gas tank and look down at the frame. Its underneath the rear seat. And don't buy it just because its the first one to come along. Take your time and look for the good deal, especially if you plan on driving it for a while.

thanks about the info on checking for rust. i knew the rear of the frame by the rear hangers liked to rust out. what it looks like in the pic below is that there is a hole in the hanger. the only time ive seen that is if the rest of it is rust out. im going back home tomorrow will pass through caldwell, exactly were is the 4runner you where speaking of? is it easily visible from the road? bout how far outside of town is it? I keep calling my old boss and asking him over and over "is this a deal"? hes telling me the same thing. be patient for the right deal. I guess i dont want to pass up something only to regret it later on.

anyways, does this mean POS?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the hole may not be a problem, as there are holes built into the factory hangers. Its really not the hangers that are the problem, but the frame a few inches forward of them. Water gets in the frame, and seems to sit in that location for some reason. Also, the gas tank has a lip, that catches mud and stuff and holds it against the frame on the inside. This quickly causes rust, and the frame is only a 1/8" thick there. This combined with the stress that portion of the frame sees because of its location, and you have the possibility of folding the vehicle in half. I have one in the trash pit at my parents house that had exactly that happen when I hauled it off, and my cousin and me broke his in the exact same spot jumping terraces in a field

ill probably still go look at it to compare against others, but this whole rust issue has got me worried. at first it looked like it was only the fenderwells. but i guess if its that bad there, then it could be hiding problems else where, like you mentioned.

i just checked my e-mail and he sent me more. looks rusted around the coss member, but its late and i dont quite know where im looking at.

so...
    Attached Images Attached Images        

oh yeah, other than the info given earlier, I can't tell you where exactly the 4runner in caldwell is. But I'm going home sunday morning, and will try to get the exact location on it then.

I thought the Japanese invented ripping off designs? Ever heard of Microsoft?

Fred/Brett, you know anything about having to deal with ****ty Chinese reproduction parts of American "manufacturers" (That's in quotes because Americans manufacture less and less each year and it's going to be the death of this Country)

Can I still forge signatures on titles, or is that going to be outlawed too? "John Liebowitz didn't sign there? Well hell, hold on I'll be right back, I think I saw him in the parking lot. I'll go chase him down." My favorite when I flip something is to never take the title into my name, learned that from the Great Brandini. I don't think he's had a car in his name since the Nixon administration.

I thought I told you earlier to buy American, Toyota trail rigs are Busa went American, Joseph/David got rid of most anything that was foreign, Danny's Scout is b!tchin, take after their example

This thread sucks!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

That truck looks rusty, but look at the outside of the frame in front of the rear fenderwells. If it's not perforated it's good. Mine is perforated and hasn't broken. The parts you weld to are all double-thickness anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Danny's Scout is b!tchin,
    If Danny's scout is "*****in" what does that make your's and Fred's?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    oh yeah, other than the info given earlier, I can't tell you where exactly the 4runner in caldwell is. But I'm going home sunday morning, and will try to get the exact location on it then.
    I would appreciate if you would. Thanks

okay, here is what we have toyota wise coming down HW 21 through caldwell. The first is a beatup first generation truck near the railroad tracks. As your leaving town you pass a set of blinking lights near a church and the school. Just past this on the right hand side is a house out in the middle of a field. The 4runner is white, and is sitting to the right of the house. Just past this a mile or so is a county road, also to the right. There is a house just off the highway on that county road with another grey first gen truck sitting by the fence.

theres an blue 86 ifs efi at auto star auto parts on hwy 21 east that they said runs and the body is good shape the interior is trashed $1100. clear title
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!

is it new? there was a black one there as well, but the engine was gone allready

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    okay, here is what we have toyota wise coming down HW 21 through caldwell. The first is a beatup first generation truck near the railroad tracks. As your leaving town you pass a set of blinking lights near a church and the school. Just past this on the right hand side is a house out in the middle of a field. The 4runner is white, and is sitting to the right of the house. Just past this a mile or so is a county road, also to the right. There is a house just off the highway on that county road with another grey first gen truck sitting by the fence.
    guy didnt want to sell the 1st gen truck by the fence since he was going to use it as a ranch truck. said it ran but had no title. if its still sitting there in 3 months ill probably bother him again. Stopped by the house with the white 4runner, no one answered the door. it has a SFA, its lifted, but looks rough and is missing the motor and who knows what else.

if you find a truck that is missing the motor, and can get it for a decent price, you may want to research the 3rz swap on pirate. Its the 2.7 4 cyl that came in the tacomas, and is alot more powerful than the old 22re. The thing is its nearly a bolt in swap, with the wiring being the only real difficult part. And even that has been extensively documented, and ready made conversion harnesses exist. The nice thing is these engines are not that hard to come by, are fairly cheap, and will easily run 70 mph with 35s while still making 17+ mpg. Yes, it may stretch your current budget somewhat, but I think several people have done the swap for under 1500 dollars, with great results. Just something to think about in case you find something nice that is missing an engine