Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear Break-in Problem

LilToy

Gear Break-in Problem

Yeah so I installed some 5.29's several months ago, and the rear is almost done with the break-in. But the problem I am facing here is the front. I haven't really driven with the front axle locked due to the fact I would kill myself on regular roads because of my welded diff, which makes my turning radius worse than a Bus. Does anyone have any idea how I could break these hoes in? I dont want to do some serious wheeling and break the front due to the fact that they arent broken in. Suggestions/comments?

either drive around with just the hubs locked in but not in 4wd, or engage 4wd but don't lock the hubs - I'm not sure which would work, that would require some extra thinking

aggielr
    with spider gears welded, i would recommend t-case engaged, and not the hubs

there ya go, that's logical - the gears would be spinning, but not the shafts, so there's no bind when turning...

aggielr
    the shafts would be spinnin, but not having any affect on the wheels, so it shouldn't bind, i have no personal experience with this, so i'm just goin on what seems logical, maybe someone else knows first hand

BigRedFord04
    last time in llano when we left i drove a good 15 miles w/ the 4wd engaged but hubs unlocked and didnt notice 'til i got to my grandma's. Couldnt tell a difference.

aggielr
    i've driven w/ just the front engaged (rear end let loose), but that was with open diffs, it ain't bad, i just don't know if anything w/ the welded diff would change that, doubt it would, but i'm not 100%

Ouch should have sprang for the locker up front. I've seen a couple of welded vehicles on the trail and everytime they have to turn any where near sharp, they have to get out and unlock the hub. Just seems like i would wait till i could get a locker!

LilToy
    Yeah I did that for about 5-10 min (in 4wd no hubs) I can drive around town with it like that but my front drive shaft went through a beating and is slightly dented.... the cover for the shaft that is and it does give a good shake at about 40, but nothing i couldnt deal with. I just wasnt sure if it was enough pressure to do any good on the gears. Appreciate the help fellas.

LilToy
    Yeah when i get the cash for a locker next year i will probably get a Full detroit or Ez in the rear and just put the Tru-Trac that i have back there now up front. So far the weld has held up and have been on several good wheeling trips. The only downside is the turning, i just have to give it more peddle is all. But when i get crossover steering it should help a ton.

Yeah, the t-case in, hubs unlocked worked for me, but then again my truck is open in the front.

So you don't really like the welded front, huh? I want to lock the front on mine pretty bad, but I just don't know if I want to weld it. I know the steering sucks, and if the welds break they could chew up my gears. But its hard to beat being locked for free.

Originally posted by LilToy
    But when i get crossover steering it should help a ton.
    Hey man, that spare IFS steering box of mine is calling your name. Come on, you know you want it

LilToy
    Man its all about the Benjamins baby, let me asses my financial status and i will let you know if i'll take it.

And for the welded front you just gotta make sure whoever does it knows how to weld. You said that Busa will most likely do it for you and well mine has held up well for over a year. And since you have cross-over that will aid in the steering, and you cant really match the fact that you have total lockage in the front, unless you get an ARB or something. Its just he poor man's locker, and actually All Pro sells a spool as well but thats $200. I would check on your warranty for your gears and make sure you have an extra set of spider gears and go for it.

Yeah, I've been considering the spool idea. What I would probbaly do is throw that in the back and the detriot up front.

This weekend I saw something that really shocked me. Did I tell you about my friend with the busted up early bronco? Well we swapped in a D44 in place of the d30 on saturday. So out of curiosity I stripped the 30 down to see what was wrong. Total damage to it was one blown hub, a snapped u-jiont, and get this, his carrier was torn into pieces. The crosspin was sheared off, and the gears were toasted. So the lesson learned is don't weld up a D30 (well, duh ).

LilToy
    His first mistake was keeping the D30 in the first place, i took a good look at the D30 under Lynda's jeep and was amazed at how small it was. I am just hoping that my axle doesnt suffer the same fate as his. I think my birfields would give before the weld would, but in your case you said you had Longfields so thats tricky.