Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much for a Chevy 4.3L?

Gearhead61

How much for a Chevy 4.3L?

I've been thinking about doing this swap in the sammi. Fuel injected for sure, but I'm not sure about the CPI vs. TBI versions of the motor? Anyways, what should I expect to pay for one of these suckers? And how about with a tranny? Most people recommend either a TH350, 200R4, or 700R4... any of y'all have any input on that?

lowballing someone
    i'm picking up a tbi 4.3 with everything for 100, found it on craigslist. ran when pulled tp put in a race motor, we will see if it runs or not but if id doesn't it is worth it for all of the accesories and the tb and starter and such. i am going to put it in front of a 465 in the new 7 that i am gathering parts for.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Gearhead61
    Damn sweet deal. I found a 95 astro van for 700... says it runs but needs a new flywheel. I think it's got the 4L60E tranny though, which'd require more wiring and crap than a 200R4 or 700R4. Is that a good deal? I could probably scrap the body for a few hundred once i'm done, right?

do you need fuel injection? Is this for a trail only rig? If so, one option would be to buy a 4.3L and sell the fuel injection system, then set it up for propane. Very simple to do, with very little wiring, making the swap much easier.

Personally, I would like to find a 4x4 S10 with a 4.3L, a NV3500 (standard transmission), and a NP231 T-case. Convert the 4.3 to propane for simplicity, then cut the t-case in half and adapt a D300 up to it like crieghton did in his jeep. Good horsepower, lots of gearing, twin stick front dig capability, and should be pretty stout, yet lightwieght and relatively short overall

True Hollywood Stry
    leave the fuel injection, it wont be that hard to figure out, and is better than propane.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Gearhead61
    Propane kits cost like $500-800 don't they? I'm not worried about the wiring, I can probably figure it out, and if not I can get help. I think it'd be easier to stay with the fuel injection.

what axles are you planning on running uner the sami?

Scrapping a working fuel injection system to go to propane b/c you are scared of a few wires would be uber-ghetto.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

lowballing someone
    i just did a tbi swap on the cj and it wasn't bad i could help you out if you needed it but the internet should be plenty. there are step by step instructions
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by colman
    there are step by step instructions

got a link? ive got a friend thats putting tbi on a 400 sbc and cant get it to work quite right.

Gearhead61
    Quote Originally Posted by william_ace
    what axles are you planning on running uner the sami?
    I think I'm planning on running a D44/12 bolt for now. I may end up swapping to a 14 bolt/D60/D70 rear and upping the front D44 to 8 lug if the 12 bolt turns out to be less than I need.

have any of you who are bashing the propane run it? No, but I have and loved the simplicity of it. Not just in setting up, but it requires just a few wires to run, so there is very little for water or mud to damage. The kit on my buggy came from a guy in dallas and cost less than 200 bucks total

Clayton '05...didnt your propane tank freeze or something b/ it was so f'ing cold. I personally wouldnt use propane, seems like more trouble than its worth to me.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

no, it did not freeze. The chevy ignition module got wet when the radiator line busted and quit working. The problem with the freezing was that the hose was not screwed on all the way, so when we turned the tank on and liquid propane leaked out and iced it up for a few seconds. I screwed it on all the way and it worked fine after that

I also kinda find the whole propane being to much trouble thing kinda funny considering how many problems you've had with you diesel engines, yet you stick by them