Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my Power Stroke

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar

Problem with my Power Stroke

So here is my problem, If anyone is on TDR post this up there and see what brilliance they come up with.

I have an early year 1999 Powerstroke with the 7.3L 6speed. It is bone stock. I have done regular maintenance (oil, filters, front axle bearings, etc…) The only major work done to it was a clutch job and transmission rebuild. So the other day I was pulling my car hauler with my friends Scrambler on it (5000 to 6000 lbs) and the truck stumbled. By stumbled I mean it was like the engine cut out for a second or 2. It was raining at this time. It did this several times and eventually the “Service Engine Soon” light came on. Upon turning the truck off and on the light would go off. I went by my friends shop and we hooked a scanner up to it, there were no codes in memory. We drove it around and got the light to come up. The scanner would show the light was on, but it still showed no error codes.

To me the stumble felt like a knock sensor on a gas engine or perhaps the cam sensor. I have heard these trucks have issues with the cam sensors, so I went and bought one at O’reilly’s. Installed it and assumed everything was ok. This was last Sunday. Monday I had no problems. Tuesday it was again raining and I felt the stumble several times. One time while sitting at a light the truck died. I restarted it with no problems. At this point I figured I had a connection that water was getting into and causing the problem due to it happening only when it was raining.

Well last night I was driving back from Beaumont and my Battery light started coming on any time the engine was under about 1000 RPM (while stopped at lights) My question is does anyone have any idea about these? Are they related? Or do I just have a possible bad battery/alternator and some other problem causing the stumble? Any help is appreciated.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    So here is my problem, If anyone is on TDR post this up there and see what brilliance they come up with.

I have an early year 1999 Powerstroke with the 7.3L 6speed. It is bone stock. I have done regular maintenance (oil, filters, front axle bearings, etc…) The only major work done to it was a clutch job and transmission rebuild. So the other day I was pulling my car hauler with my friends Scrambler on it (5000 to 6000 lbs) and the truck stumbled. By stumbled I mean it was like the engine cut out for a second or 2. It was raining at this time. It did this several times and eventually the “Service Engine Soon” light came on. Upon turning the truck off and on the light would go off. I went by my friends shop and we hooked a scanner up to it, there were no codes in memory. We drove it around and got the light to come up. The scanner would show the light was on, but it still showed no error codes.

To me the stumble felt like a knock sensor on a gas engine or perhaps the cam sensor. I have heard these trucks have issues with the cam sensors, so I went and bought one at O’reilly’s. Installed it and assumed everything was ok. This was last Sunday. Monday I had no problems. Tuesday it was again raining and I felt the stumble several times. One time while sitting at a light the truck died. I restarted it with no problems. At this point I figured I had a connection that water was getting into and causing the problem due to it happening only when it was raining.

Well last night I was driving back from Beaumont and my Battery light started coming on any time the engine was under about 1000 RPM (while stopped at lights) My question is does anyone have any idea about these? Are they related? Or do I just have a possible bad battery/alternator and some other problem causing the stumble? Any help is appreciated.
    Try www.thedieselstop.com thats the ford website and its free.

I will post it on there for yeah. I have an account.
    Last edited by fbronco86; 04-13-2007 at 06:38 AM.

fbronco86
    I would have totally changed the fuel filter first. I know you are cheap and dont like to change that guy.

Ok I will be nice from here on. Does your truck have a light for the fuel filter? Mine had a light for water in fuel and then there was a different light for a restrictive fuel filter. Could be your filter is just really dirty and pissing your truck off.

TDR is for dodge's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    TDR is for dodge's....
    Really

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Really
    Karl said post it on TDR, I was letting him know that was for Dodge's, just in case he's not the mental giant that you are.
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    Karl said post it on TDR, I was letting him know that was for Dodge's, just in case he's not the mental giant that you are.
    Umm I am not sure about that. Those folks at SAM are pretty smart themselves.

Umm I am not sure about that. Those folks at SAM are pretty smart themselves.
    i'm not getting in another pissing match with you.
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    i'm not getting in another pissing match with you.
    Sweet I win

Karl did you know this?

If you know someone who has a superchips programmer for Ford vehicles it should be able to scan it, the Snap On units work as well. I have a XCalibrator2 that works great, if you were close by I would scan it for you. The generic units at Auto Zone and other parts places won't read our codes. Maybe tell us where you are located and maybe a member is close by?
    So you loose, I win!

One sign of a failed CPS is your Tach will not move while cranking the engine over.
    This is on long extended cranking. Short cranking, on a good CPS will not register either
    If you have an AIC (APCM) installed, it may not registered RPM's either. The Tach gets its
    reference from the CPS sensor and if its not sending a signal, no tach.

UPDATE!
    Further reports from the field.
    Before blaming your CPS for killing your truck, you should check the following:

ICP connector. Poor connections at the ICP can cause a stall like the CPS
    Batteries: Weak batteries will crank the truck, but may not start it.
    HPOP: Check your HPOP reservoir to make sure it has oil in it
    CHIP: If your truck has a chip, remove it and clean the contacts
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    Karl per the dudes on the furd website.

Cam Sensor

Most guys won't use anything but Ford or International for this part.We have seen too many new ones bad out of the box....

fbronco86
    I really can not wait for chadnutz to post with his wealth of knowledge of fords.

Karl per the dudes on the furd website.

Cam Sensor

Most guys won't use anything but Ford or International for this part.We have seen too many new ones bad out of the box....
    my internet sources say the international one is half the price of the one from the ford parts house.

Check that tach deal, everyone says that is a telltale sign of the cps.

PS im really bored.
    So you loose, I win!

IH-woohoo!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.