Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow/Ice "Wheeling"

Registered

Snow/Ice "Wheeling"

So I was up at 6:30 this morning and decided to check out the weather. About 1-2 inches of snow accumulated on the roads in some areas, as well as a ton of ice. My roommate came along and snapped some pics of the undisturbed snow (kyle field, the big ring, etc) to send off to the Eagle/Battalion. It was pretty cool being the only vehicle on the road for awhile, and even as traffic got a little heavier it was funny to see some of the idiots trying to drive on the snow/ice. One girl got her civic stuck slipping up the driveway to starbucks... she just left it there to go inside and get her coffee. Just got back to the house and I have to say I wouldn't advise anyone driving out there anymore, all of the snow has melted and re-froze into ice. Even locked and in 4-low I had zero traction on some roads and gave my ABS a good work out; the curb still stopped me a couple times.

P.S. There's no way any school happens today....
    Last edited by 96beast; 02-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Registered
    Some crappy pics from my phone:

We got about 4-6 inches in places in Waco.

This weather is really ****ing up delivery of my Saiga 12.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209 View Post
    We got about 4-6 inches in places in Waco.

That's what she said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

I've read reviews of how bad BFG all terrains are in this type of weather (small amounts of snow and/or ice on the roads) and I didn't really think it could be that bad but my suburban has no traction anywhere right now. Once it starts sliding there's no hope for it, even with the smallest touches on the throttle, it loses the rear end and starts sliding. I think the ABS got more work last night then it has all together since it was new. Tommys tires on his jeep worked pretty well I thought, whatever they are.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Had 2 of my 20 employees show up today. We're running production either way, but the VP is springing for everybody's lunch and breakfast. So that's sweet.

On a side note, Duramax + locking diff + ice = fun. Haha.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I've read reviews of how bad BFG all terrains are in this type of weather (small amounts of snow and/or ice on the roads) and I didn't really think it could be that bad but my suburban has no traction anywhere right now. Once it starts sliding there's no hope for it, even with the smallest touches on the throttle, it loses the rear end and starts sliding. I think the ABS got more work last night then it has all together since it was new. Tommys tires on his jeep worked pretty well I thought, whatever they are.
    interesting I have BFG AT's on the 4runner and have been driving on ice the last 4 days and have never had a problem. Sounds like you can't drive.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    maybe he just needs to air down a bit
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    maybe he just needs to air down a bit
    or this.

60 lbs of pressure = no traction.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    interesting I have BFG AT's on the 4runner and have been driving on ice the last 4 days and have never had a problem. Sounds like you can't drive.
    I can drive fine. When I was driving to get somewhere I got there with no problems, but when I drove just to drive in the snow, I was sliding around a bit. Just out of curiosity, how old are your bfg at's? My tires are probably at ~30 psi
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

all terrains are generally bad in the snow. M/ts and snow tires are usually the best.

goodyear mt/rs are pretty good in the snow btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I can drive fine. When I was driving to get somewhere I got there with no problems, but when I drove just to drive in the snow, I was sliding around a bit. Just out of curiosity, how old are your bfg at's? My tires are probably at ~30 psi
    About 10 months I would say.

I have run them on other vehicles also. Had them on the FJ Cruiser and drove it on a couple of snowy passes in Colorado to visit family and never had an issue in the 60K miles I ran them then.

No matter what any tires is going to slip and slide on ice.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I've said it before. I live and die by the BFG A/T. If they made it in a 40x12.50R17, I would have my tires picked out for the offroad rig that i can't afford to build. I love the 35" A/T's on my scout.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by 96beast View Post
    So I was up at 6:30 this morning and decided to check out the weather. About 1-2 inches of snow accumulated on the roads in some areas, as well as a ton of ice. My roommate came along and snapped some pics of the undisturbed snow (kyle field, the big ring, etc) to send off to the Eagle/Battalion. It was pretty cool being the only vehicle on the road for awhile, and even as traffic got a little heavier it was funny to see some of the idiots trying to drive on the snow/ice. One girl got her civic stuck slipping up the driveway to starbucks... she just left it there to go inside and get her coffee. Just got back to the house and I have to say I wouldn't advise anyone driving out there anymore, all of the snow has melted and re-froze into ice. Even locked and in 4-low I had zero traction on some roads and gave my ABS a good work out; the curb still stopped me a couple times.

P.S. There's no way any school happens today....
    Dude you're not supposed to get into four lo in snow and ice. Haha bad idea. I was out around ten this mornin and saw some chick in a mustang spun completely around. Drove around her effortlessly while some dudes spun her back around on the ice. Not bad at all if you take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    all terrains are generally bad in the snow. M/ts and snow tires are usually the best.

goodyear mt/rs are pretty good in the snow btw.
    Are you talking ice as well? Just curious, i'd like to know. The Coloradoans always know best haha no joke.
    Last edited by MR.ZAP; 02-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.ZAP View Post
    Dude you're not supposed to get into four lo in snow and ice. Haha bad idea. I was out around ten this mornin and saw some chick in a mustang spun completely around. Drove around her effortlessly while some dudes spun her back around on the ice. Not bad at all if you take it easy.
    Ha yea I figured that out pretty quick. The best was Hi with the center locked. Only thing was I couldn't turn very sharply...