Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock sliders

BIGJIMMY

Rock sliders

I went to mack bolt and bought steel for the rock sliders, i got 1/8 thick 1 1/2 x 4 in rectangle tubing, and 1 1/2'' x 1/8'' square tubing, do yall think that will be strong enough for the weekend? They didnt have 3/16 thik rect tubing

What kind of design are you going with for the sliders? Most sliders you can buy are .120 wall round tubing, so it should work depending on how heavy the truck is and how well its gusseted. I personally would want something a little thicker and probably a little larger than 1.5", but thats just me. Katemcy does have a way of grinding away metal. If you can it wouldn't hurt to put some plates on the frame and mount the legs of the sliders to them to help distribute the forces.

BTW, make sure to add the cost of the steel to the steel thread so we can keep that as up to date as possible

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJIMMY
    I went to mack bolt and bought steel for the rock sliders, i got 1/8 thick 1 1/2 x 4 in rectangle tubing, and 1 1/2'' x 1/8'' square tubing, do yall think that will be strong enough for the weekend? They didnt have 3/16 thik rect tubing
    Do you care about the body of your blazer? If not you should just cut out the rocker boxes and weld in 3/16ths box. It actually looks decent.

If you were planning on welding to the frame it won't be strong enough without attatching it to the body somehow. The frames are too narrow... 1/8th is a waste of time if you want it to last.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BIGJIMMY
    I got some plates from them precut by bargaining with them, i believe they are 1/8'' also, i could weld those to the frame and weld the legs onto them, but i could maybe make a mount that is welded to the leg and bolts onto the body mount bolt, would that make a difference? I really just want survive this weekend, and not spend a butt load of dough doing it. This is my first time to rock crawl and dont if ill be able to do it again for a long time.

BIGJIMMY
    and how do fullsizes suck by the way?

I got some plates from them precut by bargaining with them, i believe they are 1/8'' also, i could weld those to the frame and weld the legs onto them, but i could maybe make a mount that is welded to the leg and bolts onto the body mount bolt, would that make a difference? I really just want survive this weekend, and not spend a butt load of dough doing it. This is my first time to rock crawl and dont if ill be able to do it again for a long time.
    I'd suggest doing nothing if you don't have the time to do it right. If they aren't strong enough they'll just dent your body easier since they decrease body clearance.

I'll just sell you my body and you won't have to worry about denting it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

and how do fullsizes suck by the way?
    Wheel one for a couple of years and you'll figure it out.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BIGJIMMY
    i got the time, i just want to know if it will hold up for sat and sunday, and i can do it right

well spend the time and do it and see if it works! I know I've bent my 1/8 wall on my bumper very easily and it doesn't hit that often.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

is this a fullsize jimmy? **** in that case go get some 1/4, you're gonna need it. listen to krebs, he knows what he is talking about

do it right, once. If Mack doesn't have it, go to bryan iron & metal. They may have what you need. Depending on where you go when you are at katemcy, you may not even need the sliders. Just avoid places that will tear stuff like that up. The first time I went to katemcy, I really tore up my DOM sliders and bumpers (all .120) and this was on a sub 4k pound Toyota pickup, but most of it really depends on what trails you run

opps, forgot the reason I quoted you. If those plates are the little square ones with 4 holes in them, and they are only 1/8 inch, they are probably not up to the task
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 04-26-2007 at 02:12 PM.

73bronco
    I wouldn't use anything less than 3/16 for sliders. I've managed to even bend my 2x4 3/16th bumper at katemcy so 1/8" definatly isn't big enough

I'll take you down looney tunes and show you why you need thicker metal for the sliders.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I'll take you down looney tunes and show you why you need thicker metal for the sliders.
    Trust him, his e-wang is HUUUUUUUUUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    Trust him, his e-wang is HUUUUUUUUUGE!
    ???
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"