Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: swapping a 14 bolt

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJIMMY
    whats the difference in a 6 lug and an 8 lug 10 bolt for the front axle?
    the only difference it the outers.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    whats the difference in a 6 lug and an 8 lug 10 bolt for the front axle?
    two threaded pieces of metal
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Gearhead61
    I think it's just that... one is 6 lug one is 8. the 8 lug parts will swap over to the 6 lug so you can run the same bolt pattern front and rear.

EDIT: Missed the 3rd page of this one... don't i feel silly

BIGJIMMY
    I got one from my neighbor, its got 410s with a posi for $150. and its the best lookin axle out there.

lowballing someone
    is it the gov lock, ive heard really bad things about those, and if one of the others has a detroit i'm interested
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

BIGJIMMY
    what did you hear, cuz i think it is

sharpe calls it a gov-bomb. no worries, ive got an extra for you.

lowballing someone
    ive heard other people call them that and worse. what ive heard is when they go they really go, no personal experience.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

CRAP! I just had a page written out and hit some random key that erased it all... Should have done it in word. Anyways I'll simplify it....

Another downside the the gov lock is it can't accept a detroit.

I'd suggest doing disc brakes if you do any kinda of mudding or anything where crap might get caught in the brakes. Drum brakes on a 14 bolt require you to remove the axle shaft first. Then you get to remove the spindle nut and remove the entire drum/bearing hub assembly. All this just to get crap out. I did it many times...

Also, the crap caught in there will make the axle seal leak and drip onto the shoes. This makes for fun braking. I probably replaced 4 seals in the southside parking garage. They loved me there.

Disc's should be around $200 to do.

Only downside is no parking brake, but you can get a line lock which is kinda halfassing it unless you get and expensive one. You can also get the caddy calipers which have a parking brake provision, but people have mixed reviews on them.

I put a adjustable proportioning valve on mine, but I'm not sure it does much. I think I have issues other places...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Another downside the the gov lock is it can't accept a detroit.

this is how i was introduced to the gov-lock. split the case open and realized a detroit wasnt going to fit. its pretty neat how they work. i played with it while i had it open. luckily, i had an extra open carrier sitting around for the detroit.

BIGJIMMY
    well it doesnt have a gov lock, just a posi in it. i looked in the glove box and it only said locking differential. The guy said it doesnt have a gov lock in it, and he knows his stuff. Whats the best place to get a disc brake set up? and whats a line lock?

BIGJIMMY
    oh it was fun getting that out too, laying in the mud with dog crap everywhere and no air tools, it was worth it though

well it doesnt have a gov lock, just a posi in it. i looked in the glove box and it only said locking differential. The guy said it doesnt have a gov lock in it, and he knows his stuff. Whats the best place to get a disc brake set up? and whats a line lock?
    A gov lock is a posi! If it says locking differential in the glove i'm almost 100% sure it's a gov lock.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Whats the best place to get a disc brake set up? and whats a line lock?
    You buy it in pieces...

Brackets are on ebay and probably most offroad sites have a vendor for them. There are alot of different shapes/designs, but they do the same thing.

Rotors/calipers you get from a parts store, internet, whatever.

A line lock is a valve that holds brake pressure in the system. Drag racers use them for burnouts. You can also use them for cutting brakes, etc...

There are two types, electric and manual. Many different opinions on the electric one's as some say they can leak down, or if they loose power they shut off. When they are on they use current, so eventually they will run your battery down. Some people say they leave them over night and have no problems. They are cheaper ~$40.

Manual one's are supposed to be more reliable. Some people have had luck with swaglock? valves. Mico are expensive, but build very well.

I have no experience with either.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BIGJIMMY
    what r the chances of it breaking with normal abuse?