Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pinche' Burro!!

Pinche' Burro!!

It all started with a $250 1990 Pathfinder advertised in Craigslist. The only problem was it was buried up to the frame and had been vandalized out in the Wylie Lake bottoms. I gave the guy $200, and he gave me the title, now we just had to extract it.

This happened on a Monday. It monsooned that Monday afternoon and rained lightly on us while Fred and Lurch winched it out of the hole it was in. That is all we got done on Monday night, it was raining and the mosqitos almost carried us off. That night was a pain in the ass.

We let it dry out until tonight, Thursday. When we first got out there tonight everything looked pretty dry walking in. Then when I turned the corner I was relieved to see that it had not been further vandalized. The weird thing I noticed is although it hadn't rained in 3 days, there was more standing water than on Monday the monsoon night. As I walked out to El Burro, as we have dubbed it, I noticed that where the water was, the ground underneath was still cracked like it was dried out. I then noticed that the water was actually moving. That's right, it's been a record drought, the lake was 16 feet low, haven't opened the gates on the dam in well over a year, but they chose tonight, I would say around 6:30 or so, to open them. Panic set in on my part, and dissaproval on Fred's. I believe his exact words were, "No fawking way are we getting this out now." It reminded me of the Johnny Cash song, "How high's the water momma? I said it's 6 feet high and rising..." Anway, I toss a new battery in El Burro and she fires off. I don't even think about putting air in the tires b/c it's time to go, NOW. Throw it in drive and hammer down. Holy ****, she's moving! I think Fawk yeah, I'm driving this ***** out of here. 20 yards later I found a hole. Fred positions the Scout (Who's power steering belt let go on the way over there) onto higher ground and starts yanking. There was some more drama, like all 4 tires de-beading on burro, and Fred damn near rolling on an embankment, but Lurch comes through and gets us the fawk out of there. Good thing too, because we looked back after we got out and the water was just getting deeper and deeper. Showed up at 7:00 and had it on the trailer by 8:30 or so, 4 flat tires and all. The whole time we are loading it we are adjacent to HWY 78, so people naturally thinking I did this to the poor burro, are honking and laughing. I laughed all the way to Scoutfourk, her new home.

Would I do it again, fawk no! It's there though, and should make a good "Ranch" truck/Alto Cruiser. I had thought about replacing the glass and tires, cleaning it up and turning it, but I don't think I could come out ahead by that much. This will be much more fun. It's a ways down on the list, so it may be awhile.

It runs pretty good at idle, but when I hammer it, it acts like it's hitting a rev limiter. Does anyone know if these have a rev limiter when they are in 4-low? It would make sense, so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Here are some pics of the first night, our photographer had to go to guard duty this weekend, so no pics from tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Just checked the army corps website, releasing 5136 CFS. That is information that would have been good to know yesterday!
    Boats and hoes

How many cupholders?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    How many cupholders?
    Yes, along with Jerry I also would like to know this. Also he and I do not care about lift, tires, etc... What is your on-board refreshment system going to be? I know they make gyroscopic cup holders for motorcycles, this makes it very hard to spill your drink, I think this could use a set. What type of cooler space will it have?

Also, consider mounting some seats on the front of the truck. That way people could ride up there and shoot rabbits and such at Scoutfork. Also make sure they have cup holders.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

It will definitely have an adequate amount of cup holders. Also, I think it has a discardable roof. Unfortunately, I know it was smoked in because I found an empty pack in the backseat floorboard. You can never get that smell out. (Even if you smashed out the windows and left it in a field for a week.)
    Boats and hoes

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    It will definitely have an adequate amount of cup holders. Also, I think it has a discardable roof. Unfortunately, I know it was smoked in because I found an empty pack in the backseat floorboard. You can never get that smell out. (Even if you smashed out the windows and left it in a field for a week.)

"IT'S BEEN SMOKED IN KARL!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Oh man you got screwed....
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Here's one of my friend Elliotts' pathfinders, use it for buildup ideas
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Wish mine was 2DR! Dang that's sweet. Flem switched sides and now worships rovers. I'm going Pathfinder from now on, Scouts are dumb!
    Boats and hoes

BTW in the first pic the ***** is STUCK. We were doing about 30-40 and Elliott was going to jump that sand pile but it turns out the sand wasnt quite dense enough to support the weight of the truck so we just plowed into it and went from 35ish to zero in about 2 feet and got sand in parts of my body I didnt know I had. The second pic is the pathfinder with a truck campershell over the front. It was raining and muddy as fawk so his dad strapped the shell on the front. It kinda looks like a redneck hummer if you squint your eyes and tilt your head just right.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    got sand in parts of my body I didnt know I had.
    Sharpe, thats called puberty, you'll find lots of parts of your body that you can put things in and out of that you didn't know you had. Ahh, our special guy is growing up.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    you'll find lots of parts of your body that you can put things in and out of that you didn't know you had.

i think we all know more about karl now than we ever wanted to know. surprising? no. disgusting? extremely!

can you make the first pic a little bigger?

It needs to be more open air. Here's a blank canvas, post up how you'd hack it.
    Boats and hoes

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    It needs to be more open air. Here's a blank canvas, post up how you'd hack it.

im getting pretty good at this photoshop thing
    Last edited by agjohn02; 06-08-2007 at 04:30 PM.