Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Toyota guys

Toyota guys

I was looking at Marlin Crawler's website and saw a Landcruiser t-case. Both outputs are on the passenger side. Tell me more about it. What years, how strong, low gearing. etc.

TIA

and whats this about them being 3 or 4 speed?

are they twin stick compatible? gear drive or chain?

3 or 4 speed means the tcase was behind a 3 or 4 speed trans. From what I understand, the 4 speed cases are stronger. They have some extra meat/ribs around the intermediate shaft bearing. The weak point on these tcase seems to be the case itself. I think most people say they're not good for much more than 300 or so hp, and that's if you're not a leadfoot. There are also aftermarket cases available which are supposed to be stronger, one is the Orion, and the other I think is just a "case saver" you add to your oem case.

I don't know much more off-hand...I haven't messed with a FJ tcase since I pulled the busted one out of mine in 2001.
    BDR

Like BDR said, the 3spd and 4spd just means what transmission they came behind. The 3spd is geared lower then the 4spd, can't think of what it is off hand. The 4spd case is stronger, specifically the "split case" which I believe is usually found in FJ-60s. They are gear driven.
    The orion is a blingity billit case that is just like the stock toy case but with a lower gearset. The case saver that BDR mentioned is just a bracket that bolts to the top of the case to try to keep the case from cracking down the center like they are none for. You can twin stick it as in have a seperate stick for hi & low and a seperate for 2wd & 4wd but you cannot twin stick it to have front dig...not would you probably want to. I have had 2 of the front output cones crack but luckily you don't have to drop anything to replace them besides the driveshaft.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

i researched it some. the 3 speed is 2.31 and the 4 speed is 1.96. no font digs sucks. how do they compare in strength to a toy truck gear driven case?

The mini truck tcase will be stronger along with having a lot more options such as lower gear sets and upgraded in/output shafts and dual cases.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

why not just get an lt230 out of a land rover....3.31 low, both outputs are pass side, if that is what you are looking for...already set up w/ driveline e brake. gear driven and has center lockable diff..can also made to be a part- time case w/ a aftermarket mini spool. this is the one thing LR made fairly well and strong..also there are gears now available to make them 4:1 and I think 5:1 low or lower is now available...high range is generally 1.22:1. There is a higher numerically high range (I think it is 1.4:1) available on some... and there is the harder to get 1.00:1..I don't think ashcroft makes these gears anymore...Google ashcroft transmissions in UK and you can find all the offerings for them.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 06-10-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    are they twin stick compatible? gear drive or chain?
    I have a chewed up main gear from my old FJ-40s t-case that I use as pencil holder/paper weight. As its been said, I don't know if there is any real benefit to using one unless you allready had it.

offset rear output is the only cool thing about them from what ive found out. i guess they are probably light weight too huh?

yeah, they're pretty lightweight

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    why are you looking at Toyota stuff again???
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

i decided the stak was too heavy

for what? If you want to cut the total weight of the rig, do it somewhere else. Chop the body or use a lexan hood and drill some speed holes. It's not worth loosing weight at the tcase for a potentially weaker setup that will also have less options. A full bodied jeep won't be light so why try to make it. Stak does have their after market d300 case, maybe it is lighter?
    Mini truck stuff will be pretty strong and light weight but since you are going to probably spend just about the same if you do lower gears or doubler and upgraded in/outputs then why not just stick with the strength of the stak and the option of doing a front dig?
    A friend I wheeled with at the cruiser roundup has a tiny buggy that runs a toy fi 4cyl with 5spd manual backed by dual mini truck cases. He has busted cyo'd shafts and gears along with broke the case itself at the roundup. This is a tiny buggy that weights probably half the weight of your jeep and half the hp. Another cruiser guy runs one in his pig of a fj-40 behind a turbo'd 2f and has never broken it. Not sure what Scott's record with them is. I just don't see it being worth it if you can shove a stak or atlas in there.

I think John sucked you in...again.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.