Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The New DD

The New DD

I bought this 84 with intentions of a wheeler to stop messing up my dodge. well plans have changed since i cant afford to drive it anymore. I bought it for $1000 with a hole in the block, a set of extra american racing wheels and husky toolbox. bought a "rebuilt" engine from an acquaintance for $400. the engine was from an 83, some differences but mostly the same. bought a new clutch, turned flyweel, new radiator. on the list is new A/C pump as the one with it is locked up nd need to weld up an exhaust. still have to get some some small things sorted out but atleast its all together now. seats were already recovered so they look snazzy, rubber foor and manual windows. interior panels look new, rear was turned into a shelf/speaker box, dash is cracked in two spots. I got a pioneer/MB Quart system waiting to be installed. I also need to build a rear bumper(cutting out rollpan), thinking 2x4 steel tubing, tich, lights, and d-rings, and a spare tire carrier for the bed. maybe a front bumper.

anything else i should do? trying to keep it somewhat sane and not go too far.

pics:1. old engine at old home, 2. new home, 3. new home, 4. as of 1 hour ago, 5. old home

close enough to maroon for you boys?
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Eckert; 06-13-2007 at 11:00 PM.

looks good, what are you going to do with the dodge?

I didn't see if you mentioned sliders, but definitely add those. Pretty simple to build and they are really needed if you do even mild wheeling

If you decide to lift it, let me know and I'll explain how to put together a nice flexing suspension for very cheap. Also, if for some reason you want to replace that cracked dash pad, I have a website bookmarked somewhere with them for cheap. I was going to redo the interior on mine before I decided it wasn't worth it.

savvyaggie
    Quote Originally Posted by bcolman
    looks good, what are you going to do with the dodge?

x2

Quote Originally Posted by savvyaggie
    x2
    You're on a roll!!

savvyaggie
    Yeah!!!

ive thought about sliders. i might build some later in the summer, but not right away. right now its staying stock height. I think it has a good stance with the 31's on it and if i go any bigger i lose the mpg factor. the tires still have alot of tread left also. Ive also toyed with the idea of locking F&R or maybe just front. i want to keep the street manners as comfortable as possible. so no welding/spool in the rear.

as for the dodge. its pretty much getting parked and maybe driven once a week. plan is to bring both up to CS when i get back. depending on how much i like the toyota, i might just bring it only.

when a tamorite says something is cheap... it has to be. how much and where do i find a dash pad?

my carrier bearings is shot. anyone know where i can find one less than $125?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert
    ive thought about sliders. i might build some later in the summer, but not right away.

when a tamorite says something is cheap... it has to be. how much and where do i find a dash pad?

my carrier bearings is shot. anyone know where i can find one less than $125?

Thanks
    I would do the sliders before you take it out, especially if you keep it stock height, just to keep the body from getting mutilated and not being able to open doors. I think eric learned this when he put some pretty large dents in his truck out at alto.

The dash pad was 50 bucks I think. A little expensive for what it is, but cheaper than most places sell them. I have to see if I still have the site bookmarked on my computer back home.

Carrier bearings in your diff? You would be better off just grabbing a new third member. They normally sell for 50 bucks or less and are not hard to find. As far as the locker thing, toy diffs are cheap and easy to change, so if you're interested in saving cash, try welding up the rear and just see how it handles. If you don't like it, pull it and keep it as a spare and then pony up the cash for a real locker. As for the front, I wouldn't lock it until you ditch the push pull type steering and upgrade your birfs.

i figured i might be ok staying stock and locking it. but ill take your advice. Im not going anywhere with it this summer, so i have plenty of time to think about it.

and carrier bearing as in i have a 2 piece rear drive shaft. theres really no bearing left and just a few pieces of rubber.

go to a parts store. i work at advance

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

I may have that part of the driveshaft you need, but I don't know if mine is in any better shape. Best be is to hit the junkyards. Maybe one from a tacoma will work, or if you have to have the driveshaft lengthened and just run it without the bearing

i sold the toolbox and rear bumper so i tomorrow im ordering a new carrier bearing, manifold gasket, and other odds and ends.

Im buying a new(er) radiator tomorrow too. so hopefully ill be driving it this weekend. Was there a year change from 2 to 3 core? the one im getting is from an 89 4runner. owner swears up and down the earlier ones were 2 core and this is 3. i really dont care. it looks brand new and he only wants $30.

get a header. I have a heddman and it's been worth every penny
    also aussie locker for the front and build a new spring pack for the front. Those stock front springs suck. You may be able to get by using rear mains and boomerang shackles with the stock steering if you drill your perches to keep the axle in the same place
    Last edited by uglyota; 06-19-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

took all the emissions crap off the engine tonight. I now have about 5% of the vacuum lines i started out with. Built some 1/4" alumium plates for where i took the EGR stuff off the block/intake. still need to make some steel ones for the exhaust manifold. I love computer controlled plamas. Went to go start it and all i got was a loud "click" when i let off the key. taking off the starter tomorrow and see if i cant fix it, if not im buying a new one along with the carrier bearing i need to order.

I also took the seats out so i can hose down the interior sometime this week. should have it driving by this weekend...

Since im a student i can get it inspected in CS come august right? i hope so.

anyone need any EGR/AR/vacuum stiches?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

who the hell has a cnc plasma?
    1988 Blazer...RIP