Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Less Nasty...

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I'm down here now with all of the snowbirds. You need anything?
    From Alamo (had a fire at a compressor station...)
    Scott
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

True Hollywood Stry
    Well i finally picked it up today from my buddy and will be making the trek with it back to h-town tomorrow. i ahvent had a lot of time to really look it over, but all in all it seems alright.

Good things
    Motor started right up after sitting for over a year, and ran really good. A new motor was installed in '94 and currently has 80,000 miles on a new cluster that was installed with the motor. New fuel pump, and a few other assorted goodies. Interior is not as good as it was the last time i saw it 3 or so years ago, mainly because of the driver window falling down, but with some shampoo and vacuum it will be alright. No rusty floorboards, and the motor/tranny doesnt leak a drop. The front end also seems to have all new bushings, and it has a hidden kill switch. Other good things- factory roll bar, ac was replaced 2 years ago or so.

Bad-
    Two spots above the front windshield have about 1 1/2-2 1/2 in. rusty patches that have gone all the way thru in some spots. there is one other bad spot in the passengerside door jam, and the tailgate has some very minor spots as well. There is also one small dent right behind the rear bumper.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

True Hollywood Stry
    alright ill try to get some pictures some time in the week. So far i have cleaned up most of the interior. Put on the 315/s and fancy wheels that karl was so gracious and mounted forme. It runs and drives great. There are lots of little things to do. Mainly i am stoked to have a ride that you jump in turn the key and drive.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

whats the word on the bronc there kev

True Hollywood Stry
    will update with pictures and giant twist to this story tonight, im assuming will knows already
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 07-25-2008 at 06:07 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    Part one
    South Texas bronco
    Replaced the window tracks so they crank up easy now, replaced a started solenoid, some light signals and stuff.

Then I started putting the 4 inch lift on. I sanded, repainted, cleared the coils that i got from cook as well as cleaned up the add a leaf and other parts. I made a trac-bar drop down. The drop pitman arm i got from cook was keyed incorectly for the 78-79 box, and i havent ordered shocks yet. Here are a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

True Hollywood Stry
    Part two

Well about 3 weeks ago i was doing my usual search of off-road board classifieds and i run across a 78 bronco in dallas. The guy needed money and needed to get rid of it even though he didnt want to. The bronco had 6 in lift, 4.56's f/r with a full detroit in the rear all installed by 4wp. It was sitting on 37x12.5x15 inch mtr's with 90-95 percent tread on some cheapo chrome spoke wheels. Then it also came with a brand new never touched the ground fullsize mtr's spare on a white wagon wheel. It was for sale for a good price but the guy was fairly hard to get in touch with. Well i stayed with it and jewed him down enough to cover the gas from houston to dallas to pick it up.

The problems he listed: cracked dash bezel(have new one), dented door, broken rear driveshaft

When i get there to pick up the truck last saturday i saw what i was getting for the price, and loaded it up as fast as i could before he changed his mind.

What i got was a bronco that had no rust holes like the other bronco does. He was the second owner and owned it for 11 years. It has the original 351,tranny, etc. The lift has 6 shocks, twin steering stablizers one for the trac-bar and one for the draglink, extended sway bar links, and new driveshafts front and rear.

The bronco started right up the first time. The broken rear driveshaft turned out to be a u-joint so for 14 bucks and 20 minutes i had it fixed before i unloaded it from the trailer.

Everything works on it all, lights interior and exterior, brakes are good, it drives better than the other bronco. It also has a cd player. The a/c blows barely so i think it needs a re-charge.

I think the 6 inch and 37's is growing on my rather than 4 inch and 36's. I think i am gonna sell the bronco i got first and build this one since it is in so much better shape. Im pretty much gonna take the best parts from both and make one nice bronco.

The only thing that sucks is the rim size. i love the 17's i have on the other bronco, so right now i am trying to decide if i want to sell the current 37's and get some 36-37 iroks on 17's and keep my wheels, or sell my wheels and get some nice 15inch wheels.

So far i have changed out the dented front bumper, anteana, outside door handle, inside door handle, beat part of the dents from the door, and greased the tailgate.

True Hollywood Stry
    more

sweet. Why does a trac-bar need a shock?

I like your trailer. How long is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    it is karls trailer

The trac bar thing is a new one to me. In all of my bronco knowledge a trace bar must be dropped just like a draglink to maintain proper geometry well this truck has a dropped pitman arm and no trac bar drop. Yet it has a stabilizer that bolts onto the trac bar and then onto the tierod. that is the reason i think it still drives fine

good find kev. its pretty much what you were looking to do to the other one but already done right? i thought about callin that guy too but i dont need something like that yet. if you decide to part out the other bronco. which i doubt you will. i'll buy the shafts from you for some spares.

man you stole that thing. The track bar shock is not a fix, if you are going to drive it match the angle of the drag link. I didn't do that and went through a steering box a month.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

True Hollywood Stry
    anyone heard about what kind of milage people are getting out of irok radials? i think i am gonna post these tires up for sale on the net in a few places and see what response i get. It would pretty much be a wash i either have 5 tires to roatate thru and wheels i like for a couple hundred bucks or i get 4 tires i like and wheels i like for a couple hundred

I know they aren't sexy, but those wheels actually look decent on that truck. Kind of an old-school 80s cruise truck look...

True Hollywood Stry
    alright after driving it around quite a bit, and cruising to the beaumont cruise. I am unsatisfied with the power. I got 10.3 mpg with some town driving and to and from the cruise. I think that the mileage isnt gonna be to much worse than the 351.

So on to what i need to do to the 460 from big nasty to put it in this bronco, so i would like some help from the motor guru's. Also this is gonna stay a carb so if efi swap is what you have in mind then this isnt the post for you.

What big nasty's motor has
    huge cam i think this is the cam i used i am away from my house and dont have the cam card with me-
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku
    straight up timing gear set to get rid of the factory retard
    bored .030 over
    factory pistons i believe
    stock intake
    1 inch carb spacer
    k&N
    motorcraft two barrel carb i think it is a 500 or 550cfm it is the motorcraft one that is so good, and most people like maybe 5125 model number?
    truck's exhaust is stock manifolds to a 3 inch system with a flowmast 80 series i believe
    msd blaster coil

Bad/things that need to change:
    The cam has a power range that is 2000-6000 which is way to much for a street driver it took all of the ass out of the motor at low rpms and take off. It also robbed all of the vacuum from my brakes which is not an option on this truck. It sounds bad ass though(thanks highschool friends dad who helped me pick it out(who coincidentally built stock cars).
    Needs a aftermarket intake
    I am also gonna do some dremel work on the exhuast ports on the heads to remove some of the casting pieces and what not that these motors had.
    Change carb

I would like some help picking out a cam and intake like i said 85 percent of this trucks life will be on the street. I have a brand new stock cam but would like something to compliment the intake and give a little more power.

intakes-
    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294822065

looking at one of the top two most likely

cams-
    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294887637

i am kind at a loss at picking a cam since it has been so long since i did my 460 research knowledge, should i just get a matched cam/intake combo?

Carbs-
    the motorcraft ran great off-road but is starving the motor.
    i have an edelbrock performer 1406 600cfm that came off a parts truck that i will prolly rebuild and put on there, and i have a q-jet also but i am leaning towards the edelbrock. I am open to other carb options

so give me any info or help you gots.