Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Less Nasty...

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    does anyone know of a good book or site to read on picking the right cam?
    yep,
    go to the junkyard and pickup a GM 6.0 or 8.1, bolt it into the truck and call it good...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

True Hollywood Stry
    ah yes the gm 6.0 piece of poo that is in my work truck that wont bolt up to my ford parts.

anyway after a little reading it is looking like i am looking for a cam with 250-264 duration,(195-210 at 0.50), and a tighter lobe seperation versus the current cam that has a wide seperation.

i also figured my rpm's at 70 and the motor would be turning 2900

i also have a new stock cam sitting in my garage
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

I assume your still using the c6? Whats the stall in the converter your running?

you could go with something like this, they even got 4x4 and tourqe in their names...
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

seriously you should be able to better judge the best compents for your motor, than me. I wouldn't go for idle and real low rpm power with a 460, build it up for a 3000-6000 powerband and I seriouly dout it would ever bog down.

as for carbs I would recomend something bigger than an 800 for power, but I think the Holley 770 truck advenger would suit you best. I am a huge fan of these carbs.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

True Hollywood Stry
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280254884943

picked up these 460 swap perches and motor mounts, the mounts and perches go for about 300 or so new, and i actually almost purchased this exact set from the guy on fsb for 230 2 months ago. im glad i waited on buying them.

As for the cam i will go with from from idle- 5000 or whatever or something similiar not to crazy. Here is one that a guy recomoneded off or fsb

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft

For the time being i will put the 600cfm on there and see what happens, then later on save up for a larger carb.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

that cam is too small imo, its similar to the one I have (same brand) and I hate how my trucks powerband peaks at like 4000. the one I posted says something like 1800-5xxx, factory stall in a c6 is like 1400-1500.

and how in the hell did you get 10 mpg? downhill?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I would put in a RV cam...fred, what do you think?

PS I like the trim on the other bronco better...you need to figure out how to mount it on that one...two tone paint is cool.

True Hollywood Stry
    sold the 37 mtr's for 1g and ordered some 37x12.5x17 irok radials should be here in the next week or two.

I used a dremel to cut out the shallow cup holders and install a set of black cup holder inserts from a 95 bronco center console so you can now use cans all the way up to whataburger cups without having to worry about spilling them.

Installed a new head unit and some 6x9's. I also replaced the bezel around the guages with one that has the fake wood finish.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 10-30-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    sold the 37 mtr's for 1g and ordered some 37x12.5x17 irok radials should be here in the next week or two.

I used a dremel to cut out the shallow cup holders and install a set of black cup holder inserts from a 95 bronco center console so you can now use cans all the way up to whataburger cups without having to worry about spilling them.

Installed a new head unit and some 6x9's. I also replaced the bezel around the guages with one that has the fake wood finish.
    what no blue lights and muffler/cat delete?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

why the switch from mtrs to iroks? just wheel size or what?

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah i am going to use the 17 in black wheels that are on the blue/white bronco earlier in the thread. it only cost me about 200 bones to switch over since i found a great deal on the iroks online.

thats what i figured. i was just wondering if you based that on the performance of the iroks over the mtrs. is this going to be more of a DD or a wheeler?

True Hollywood Stry
    dd beach cruiser. i wanted km's but they are to pricey, and mtr's are super soft. I have heard that the irok radials and a little harder than the mtr's, plus they have a better look.

i thought about going to 35's or 36's, but my problem was that with the 4.56's gears and 315 bfgs that are on there now the motor is screaming at highway speeds. The 315's measure about 33 1/2 right now mounted so i figured at 35 wouldn't be much better. With the 37's the motor stayed below 3,000 at 70-75. I think a 36 would have been optimum but the only tires available in a 36 radial are tsl's, and some off-brands. Irok has a 36x13.5 radial but that was going to rub to much on the radius arms for my liking. So thats why i stuck with 37's

True Hollywood Stry
    picked up a new reproduction tailgate shell for $200 on the list. Will make an easy fix for my dented gate that got messed up at last years Beaumont cruise.

Fred I'll prolly be calling you sometime in the next few days to get your thoughts on some body work I'm thinking of doing.

Also 37iroks kill possums like a champ! Ask hotpocket I was on the phone with him when I hit it.

True Hollywood Stry
    ready for fishing
    Attached Images Attached Images    

glad my kayaks are being put to good use

my dad was asking about them this weekend.