Thread: spring hanger idea

spring hanger idea

On F-toys its common to inboard the springs in order to gain more flex since they must use leaf springs on a relatively light weight vehicle. Its also common to use a johnny joint as the frame mount for the rear shackle, in order to let the spring move more without binding. I was bored (and drinking), and started thinking about what would happen if you combined these two ideas, but took it a step farther. Run the johnny joint in the back, but build the inboarded spring hanger for the front of the spring so that it could allow a bit of twist as well. Something like the attached drawing. It would allow the spring hanger to rotate side to side a little, allowing the spring to move more freely without binding. I guess this would be somewhat similar to the hinged spring perch setup you see from time to time, but in my opinion this should be alot more stable, and much easier to beef up. Anyone think this would work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

you'll need a panhard bar, possibly eliminating any real gain.

why does it really need a panhard bar? To counteract the side to side movement? For some reason I don't think it would need it.

you would definately need a panhard if you want any semblance of lateral stability. ever drive a vehicle with worn spring bushings? maybe you wouldnt care if it was a trail only rig. andy's rear end danced around alot off-road with the JJ's but i never heard him complain. the new fiberglass leafs have JJ's at both ends...

edit: also, think about what your front axle will do when you turn the wheels without a panhard.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-16-2007 at 09:02 PM.

what program is that? inventor?
    Nick
    '76 F250 High Boy
    '87 Wrangler

its the google earf build a city program. free stuff

Quote Originally Posted by nickas
    what program is that? inventor?
    http://www.sketchup.com/

Like flem said, its a free program. Definitely not the best, but it works okay on simple stuff. I downloaded it yesterday, and that picture above was my first attempt. Took about 40 minutes to do while trying to get the hang of the program.

I also found this free software, and plan on giving it a try http://www.alibre.com/

And if you're a student you can get free student versions of autodesk software here http://students6.autodesk.com/?lbon=1