Thread: 94-97 powerstroke opinions needed

94-97 powerstroke opinions needed

Alright so im looking for a new truck. I found a few 96-97 'strokes in pretty decent shape but i dont know a whole lot about them. I'm fairly familiar with the 99-03 powerstroke. How does the 94-97 compare with the later model? Any input is appreciated

True Hollywood Stry
    from what i ahve been told from people that have had all of the turbo ford diesel's the 97 had the most power of the 7.3's and least emissions, but i could be wrong
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    late 94 - 97 powerstrokes are the best years in my opinion. kopecki will tell you they are pieces of crap from his experience with the 94s. i was looking at these year models when i was looking for my truck. the problem i had was finding one in good shape, low miles, and a decent price.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

thanks guys, i found a 97 crew cab short bed, 4x4 with the 7.3 and 113,000 miles for 8950, seems like a good price to me, interior looks perfect and the body is pretty damn good too, if i ever get a break from school ill go check it out. Is that a good price or just average?

ill be your pickup man
    To me that should be average, but to everyone selling on eBay, it is hella cheap
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

True Hollywood Stry
    thats areally good deal from the trucks i had looked at for a while. there was a guy in c/s selling a 97 with 113,00o with an imaculate body and interior, same description as the one you listed and he got like 13,000 for it
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

the 97 is a good truck, we have had some problems with the radio amplifier, door locks, power windows and a door that only opens when it feels like it. but the motor and transmission are great.

Oh make sure that it doesn't have 4:10 gears, they pull great but the suck the diesle down
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Yes. Get 3.55s at all costs.

That truck is an F-250. They have the twin I-beam crap in the front and that setup is notorious for sagging and chewing up tires. It's going to be hard to find one with low mileage like that, but you'd rather have a 350.

The 97s have 10 more HP than the earlier ones, but that can be remedied pretty easily.

Since you want opinions, I say they are crap, and that's not only the 94s. Although the numbers say the 97 has more power, all the one's I've driven were slower and got worse mileage than the 94-96. Same goes for the 94-96 that were flashed with the 97 program. Now if you just want power, I think they pull better than a dodge, when they run. Actually didn't have any problems that disabled them, I don't think we had to trailer any of them to the dealer. My best mileage making one had 4.10s and 35s, even better than the 2wd with 3.55s. But other than that the 3.55 trucks got about 2 mpg better than the 4.10s.
    Last edited by eight; 07-25-2007 at 08:08 AM.