Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: The Barn Burner

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Since the Alto trip I've been doing quite a bit of wrenching and made some changes in preparation for Clayton....

Back in November, I dropped by 4WheelParts and they were having some kind of grand reopening event with good deals. I picked up a CB radio, onboard air setup, and new shocks, the guy at the counter tells me they're selling XRC 9,500 lb winches for $200 today only. Couldn't pass up that deal.... Been wanting to get a winch for the car hauler for a while, this fit the bill.

The stock HEI distributor that I had added an MSD cap/rotor/module to when I built the 383 has worked okay for now but had started to go south even after adding new advance springs/weights. It also caused quite a bit of noise/interference with the Fast fuel injection even with using their module to convert it to a "clean" signal.

I picked up an MSD pro billet distributor, digital 6AL box, coil, and wires. No more ignition issues...

I had gone through a couple fuel pumps over the past few years when fuel cell foam had broken up and gotten into the pump. So I rebuilt the fuel system, removed all of the fuel cell foam and added a pre-filter. Also went to a new Holley HP efi pump and ran the return line to the top of the cell instead of the bottom to prevent any chances of cavitation. (BTW- That's not a rat's nest of wires, they're just coiled up unused spares.)

After 4 years of running the Fast gen 1 ez efi I have come to the conclusion that it works great for street cars but is not really meant for hardcore offroading. The ecm went south a couple years ago in Marble Falls and I had to ship it back to Fast. They fixed it and over the last couple years it's been running fine until going to load up for Alto. I could go on and list all the troubleshooting/changes/tech department calls that I've made but I digress. I'm having to send it back to Fast once again, problem is that it's a month turn around time.

So... I damn sure ain't missing Clayton. I had considered throwing an LS setup together with all the parts I have but the timeline, converting accessory brackets/pulleys, etc halted that. The bolt on efi market has really expanded and made big advancements in the last 5 years since running the Fast ez 1.0.

I decided on an MSD Atomic efi setup.... It's badass, fired up on the first try and with literally 10 minutes of idle/driving it runs better than it ever has. Once the Fast system returns from getting repaired I'll sell it or worst case get stuck with it and end up using it on something destined for the street/strip.

Last edited by CheapJeep; 12-10-2014 at 03:11 AM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

The front driveshaft has seen better days and is now retired for spare duty. I picked up a new end yoke for the splined side and welded it up, also got another high clearance pinion yoke from WFO. So now I have a complete spare front setup from end to end if ever needed.

Comparison of a spicer 1350 yoke and WFO high clearance 1350 yoke. (Now I have 2 spare yokes in case someone else needs one)

Called up Jesse at High Angle and ordered a new front driveshaft. Still an 18" long splined slip, 1350 cv flange at the Stak but went with a 38* 1410 pinion flange at the dana 60.

Had a new hood for a few years but hadn't gotten around to putting it on until now.

Old shocks were toast, new Fox 2.0's all around. Built new shock mounts all around as well.

Picked up a 50" double row light bar from OZ lights for $280, it's bright as fawk....

Finally got around to installing the new winch line, Busa's splice in the old one has held up and makes for a great spare. Also replaced the old school headlights with some new KC's.

Last edited by CheapJeep; 12-10-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Overall view of the new work/swag....

1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Badass Robbie! See you in a couple of weeks!
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Sweet, I think you'll like the 1410 u-joint.

I think as long as you have a red box labeled mad, you'll have ignition problems.

Where's the NOS?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

The adjustable rotor for the distributor arrived the other day, needed it to control ignition timing through the Atomic efi. Had to pull the distributor, remove the mechanical advance springs, weights, bushing, etc., lock out the advance then put it back in with the new rotor. Now I can change timing advance with the touch of a button, pretty sweet.

It also has a built in nitrous setting that allows you to control timing, AFR's, and fuel. So I pieced together a little wet plate system to replace the dry shot from before. Picked up an edelbrock plate and solenoids for cheap, sourced everything else from my parts inventory.

Just gotta finish wiring it in over the weekend.

Also welded a couple spare tire mounts to the trailer and put all new tires on.

1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

True Hollywood Stry
    I'm sure you've checked, but I would imagine your going to have some trailer tire/truck bumper issues when turning tight.

Everything else looks great.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Nice work Robbie!
    BDR

Wonder if you should throw a lock on those tires, seems like they would be easy to steal. I want to do the same thing, so I am curious to see if that setup jack knifes
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Looks good, want to drag race on the air strip?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

For the record, I formally approve this NOS installation.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I'm sure you've checked, but I would imagine your going to have some trailer tire/truck bumper issues when turning tight.

Everything else looks great.
    Thanks. They serve as bump stops if you ever turn too tight.

Come to Clayton so you can inspect and provide approval.

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    Nice work Robbie!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Wonder if you should throw a lock on those tires, seems like they would be easy to steal. I want to do the same thing, so I am curious to see if that setup jack knifes
    I have locks for them but pack heat as well for anyone who wants to try.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    Looks good, want to drag race on the air strip?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    For the record, I formally approve this NOS installation.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Finished wiring up the nitrous. I pulled a wide open throttle switch and digital window switch from my parts pile and wired them into the system. Got it setup to only activate at wide open throttle and above 2700rpm/below 6000rpm. Of course all of this is intended more for the Down South and Alto trips but what the hell, it'll still be a good time.

1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Looks good, except for that coil. Mine would arc through the insulator to the - post and eventually kill the icm

the tfi style one is the way to go