Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dual marine batteries

lowballing someone

dual marine batteries

if i were to pick up a pair of these batteries could i use them for dual batteries? they are marine batteries and i can get them cheap and want to know ifit is worth it. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

lowballing someone
    i will be running electric fans on the trans cooler and radiator, rock lights, winch, sterio, cb and tbi efi. i think that is all that will draw power
    also i'm going to upgrade to a cs144 alternator in the cj 7
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

those should work good except they are not sealed and will leak when off camber and make a big mess
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

from what I was told long ago deep cycles are not the best for running winches.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    im think deep cycle marine batteries are only supposed to take a trickle charge. dont think running them in an automotive application would be ideal.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

they are dual purpose, and yes i have heard as well that deep cycles are not good for winches because they don't like to supply the high amp loads that a winch draw, instead a starting battery works much better
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

lowballing someone
    well i guess as long as the auction stays cheap enough, (righ now its at 5 bones) i will get them but if not then i will look for a pair of optimas, those things are expensive tho, i wish i had a rich uncle about this time

Quote Originally Posted by colman
    well i guess as long as the auction stays cheap enough, (righ now its at 5 bones) i will get them but if not then i will look for a pair of optimas, those things are expensive tho, i wish i had a rich uncle about this time
    I've burnt up three optima in the last year.

optimas only take trickle charge too.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

**** optimas, they suck.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

lowballing someone
    well then in your expert opinion what are the best battery?

Probably interstate, but I dont have any brand preference these days. I do prefer the gel-cell design but my first optima died for good after 3 years (normal red top) and the second one I had was a group 71 yellow top and it died within the first month. I am running a red top in pigpen right now but I intend to move it to backup duty whenever I can afford to get 2 new normal batteries from napa.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

lowballing someone
    my first red top lasted for 2 years before I sold it and my yellow top has lasted for 8 mos now and ive draned it a couple of times and it still works fine. but i do agree that interstate does make a great battery, just not cheap. but then again most things that are expensive usually are worth it

I have a red top from 1997 that is still being used to start my f150 everyday. It's had periods where it hasn't been touched in 6 months in our barn and still started the blazer like a champ. It's been in boats, my blazer, our tractor, and now my truck.

I also have a yellow top from 2000 that still performs very well also.

Maybe they were made better back in the day?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Maybe they were made better back in the day?
    That seems to be the general consensus.

I went down to the san jac river out of crosby last summer, shot strap through my radiator and transcooler then had the battery die on my buddies truck. When we got back he gave me the battery (optima redtop) and said he hated optima and will never use another. I went autozone and got a brand new one and since them have somehow killed three. I only went to alto twice last year and maybe drove once a month.

The last optima autozone tested for me didn't have enough volts under a load, even though I had it trickle charging over night. They said since it didn't have enough volts it wasn't charged so I let them charge it. When I came back it had over 13 volts under a load and they gave me a new one.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!