Thread: question welding on an axle

question welding on an axle

Can you weld (flux core) on an axle that is fully assemblied or does it have to be stripped down to a bare housing. I would think it would have to be a bare housing otherwise the arch would pass through bearings and seals, and would this kill them? am i right?

you can weld on the axle just place your ground as close to possible to where you are welding and make sure there are no bearing in the route between the weld and the ground clamp.

i like to use a c clamp and hook the ground clamp to that that way you can put it anywhere you want to
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ok if anyone can fully understand what i'm talking about by the picture more power to you, because it is crappy. Anyway i'm wanting to build a truss for the amc 20, and had seen a cheap and easy one build from 2x4x3/16 box tubing just run from flange to flange on top of the axle. Does anyone think this will work? ideas? and does welding this pose any problems to the beaings within. I know there are wheel beaings by each flange as well as seals, as well as pinion, spyder and ring gears with an assortment of beaings and seals in the pumpkin. wouldn't running a bead alone the entire length of the axle mess things up regardless of how close the ground is?
    Last edited by 85cj7; 12-25-2008 at 12:35 AM.

no, as long as you put the ground clamp on the housing and not on a shaft or anything it will be fine

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

you plan on taking it off some sweet jumps?

i wouldnt worry about it. you'll warp the housing quicker than you'll do any good. plus, in the end, you'll have a crappy looking truss made out of box tubing.

ok, its always good to here it from someone else, somehow it sounds more convincing. Should i at least stitch weld the tubes to the pumpkin while I have the opportunity, i've heard they are the most succeptable on the amc 20?

lowballing someone
    definatly weld the tubes to the pumpkin, once that is done and one piece shafts are in the thing as as strong if not stronger than the d44
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

What's the best technique to use when making this weld? I've heard that u shouldn't make a continous bead but instead a series of stitch welds. What exactly is a stitch weld is it just tightly placed tack welds?

Gearhead61
    A stitch weld is where you weld about one inch at a time. Say you start on the tube and weld at the 12 o'clock position. Let it cool, then weld at the 6:00 spot. Then do 3:00, then 9:00. Keep welding a small bit at a time, move to different spots on the tube, and give it time to cool in between. This will help minimize distortion due to the heat from welding.