Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: prerunner type light bar

prerunner type light bar

I've been seeing these things pop up on more and more rock crawlers lately. I kinda like the idea of having a set of lights up high, yet still protected. My question is how well do you think these things would be able to survive a roll over if the bar was decently built and integrated into a roll cage or exo?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

unless you are getting some super bad ass $1000 lights, why bother? If you roll it plan on eating the cost of 4 ****ty lights.

stay off pirate, those people are hacks. Look at the top of that cage for proof

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    stay off pirate, those people are hacks. Look at the top of that cage for proof
    what do mean by that? That rig has wheeled from the PNW to the hammers to moab, and never seemed to have a problem

Maybe the circle of welded elbows holding the top of the cage together?

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    Maybe the circle of welded elbows holding the top of the cage together?
    true, but this rig and several more from that area are running the same little ring, and no failures yet. I'm not saying its thats the best way to do things, but that rig has been wheeled alot, with no problems

lowballing someone
    couldn't that be a 360 or even 180 bend?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    true, but this rig and several more from that area are running the same little ring, and no failures yet. I'm not saying its thats the best way to do things, but that rig has been wheeled alot, with no problems
    Has it been rolled a lot?

they are only cool if you add some linear actuators so you can fold it up and down with a flip of the switch
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ill be your pickup man
    I like they way they look, but really only useful if running high dollar lights.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

They're only really useful if you're running dunes or the front in line. Other than that you're just blinding the guy in front of you.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

The only place I ever found "spot lights" useful was at llano, but only when I was alone or in front. I'm sure some of the older people remember by cow pusher of a bumper that had 2 kc day lighters and 2 6x9 dick cepek lights. After that bumper got ripped off in Llano, I never put the lights back on.

I could see it useful in the desert or someplace where you were going fast and needed to see far. For our slower paced rock crawling, I think rock lights and flood lights are better suited.

In my opinion they do look kinda cool, but at the same time they look a bit poserish. I've never seen lights like that with their own little cage or maybe I just never paid attention. Obviously that light arrangement needs to be on a vehicle that fits that overall theme.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

how often are you needing to see real far ahead of you? most of the time you are needing to see what is under you and what is a few feet ahead.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    Has it been rolled a lot?
    from the pics I've seen of it over the last year, its been rolled and flopped several times

OK, I wasn't questioning you or him, just wondering since I don't surf pirate enough to have ever seen that truck before. If it works it works.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr
    how often are you needing to see real far ahead of you? most of the time you are needing to see what is under you and what is a few feet ahead.

Depends on the situation. There have been many times I wish I had more light than what the stock headlights and rocklights put out. The buggy was set up to basically see what was just in front and under you, and it sucked for driving around at night at anything faster than a slow crawl. Coming off the trails after dark in clayton was alot of fun because of it. Sure, if there is someone in front of you, there is no reason to have them on, but if you're first in line or by yourself, it would be nice to have the extra light. In my case I think I could make the whole setup removable pretty easily, and just put it on when I think I'm going to need them