Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Car hauler questions

Car hauler questions

I'll start this thread so I don't snake John's

What do you look for in a good car hauler? I'm planning on buying a trailer by the end of next month, and I'm trying to figure out what best serves my needs. So far this is what I have:

- Brakes on at least one axle

- Wood deck since it doesn't get as hot in the sun and doesn't get slick when its wet.

- A bull dog coupler, preferably 2-5/16"

From there, I'm not so sure.

- To begin, is a 16ft trailer going to be enough for my 4runner (110" wheel base, 40" tires, ~4500-5000lbs)? Edit: this question has been answered in the other thread

- Is a dovetail worth it? I can see it being easier to drive on the trailer without getting the ramps out, but I can also see me dragging it going to the places we wheel.

- What sort of construction as far as the frame and crossmembers is the best?

Is there anything else to watch out for that I'm missing? Any manufacterers to stay away from?

a dove tail is good if you plan on hauling a car as the trailer type name suggest.
    I like trailers that have double frame. bracing-closer the better 16"OC, if wood deck make sure it is pressure treated. winch plate is nice. I like jimmy's floor lights. floor storage is good. get a long trailer tongue. I think ours is 5' most are 4'. built in tie downs and some kind of spare mount, good HD trailer tires...not radials

I really wish I had a flat deck (no rails). Very limited in what work I can do on the rig with it on the trailer (can't remove a wheel).

What I've heard is that channel construction is better than angle. You might not be able to find one without rails that is made with angle. Mine is angle and I have never seen or felt it flex.

Wish I could fit truck tires (245 or 265) on mine. All that mine will fit are like 205 car tires, and I would rather be using used cheap truck tires than car tires (heavier duty).

Finally, I would rather have a longer trailer than 16' for hauling whole joints of tubing, bigger rig if you need to, rig+jobox, etc. Maybe 20'?

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I really wish I had a flat deck (no rails). Very limited in what work I can do on the rig with it on the trailer (can't remove a wheel).

What I've heard is that channel construction is better than angle. You might not be able to find one without rails that is made with angle. Mine is angle and I have never seen or felt it flex.

Wish I could fit truck tires (245 or 265) on mine. All that mine will fit are like 205 car tires, and I would rather be using used cheap truck tires than car tires (heavier duty).

Finally, I would rather have a longer trailer than 16' for hauling whole joints of tubing, bigger rig if you need to, rig+jobox, etc. Maybe 20'?

So far most I've seen have been angle frame, though I did find one earlier in my searching that used channel, but can't remember who it was. If I can afford it I would like to get a longer trailer, but its all dependent on cost. I don't want to cheap out on something like this, but I can't afford to go crazy either.

wtf was wrong with the other thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

a few more questions.

I assume two 3500lb axles will be enough for me?

Also, what other costs are will I be looking at on top of the trailer price (tax, title, license, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    wtf was wrong with the other thread?
    he seemed to know exactly what he wanted and just wanted manufacturers. I'm more interested in what to look for in a trailer right now

fbronco86
    I dont think there is a need for the 2 5/16 ball. The standard 2 inch is just fine.

I would stay with a 16 or 18. A 20 footer is hard to get around with in the gas stations etc and I had a single cab truck.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota

x2 This really limited us in our last trailer. Hate those side rails...

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    I dont think there is a need for the 2 5/16 ball. The standard 2 inch is just fine.

I would stay with a 16 or 18. A 20 footer is hard to get around with in the gas stations etc and I had a single cab truck.
    learn to back up!

I would like the 2 5/16 simply because the other little trailer I use is that size, so it just means less trouble

Get brakes on both axles, knowing you you will be pulling it with some midsize metro import so you need more braking power. Other than that, as said, no rails and try to find one with the same lug pattern and tire size as your truck so you only need one spare. This will probably not be an option for you because 6 lug trailer axles are typicalls 5200 lb'ers but its a nice thought.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Get brakes on both axles, knowing you you will be pulling it with some midsize metro import so you need more braking power. Other than that, as said, no rails and try to find one with the same lug pattern and tire size as your truck so you only need one spare. This will probably not be an option for you because 6 lug trailer axles are typicalls 5200 lb'ers but its a nice thought.
    you do realize I bought a 07 chevy 2500 a few months ago, right?

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    learn to back up!
    Maybe I can get your mechanic to teach me.

Maybe I can get your mechanic to teach me.
    Some of us don't have the place or the time to work on trucks.

I don't want to pull third members, I don't want to set gears, I don't want to work on our 40 for free when I work 60 hour weeks. I want to camp and wheel and get married and if that means going halves paying someone to work on a truck while I live in an apartment and don't have a garage I think I am justified in doing it. Especially if the truck is going to be trail ready in a month compared to getting it done over two years.

When you come to the realization that you would rather just have it done, come see me. When your time becomes more valuable to you and you would rather spend the small amount of it with the woman you love, because time is limited, then come talk to me. Until then keep wrenching, keep working and keep on doing what you want

Different Strokes for different folks. I love to wheel and camp, I like to wrench. If I wanted to be a mechanic I wouldn't have gone to A&M.

No matter what I grew up on a horse ranch and was towing horses and hay bales to and from vets and land in high school while you were picking your nose thinking about going to your college classes