Thread: Trailer Wiring

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar

Trailer Wiring

I had some trouble w/ the flatbed on the trip down to the mall meeting the other night so I decided to do a little upgrade on the connector. I have a 7-pin socket installed in the bed of the pickup (it also came w/ one at the reciever hitch) for the travel trailer. I have been using an adapter (gooseneck style 6-pin to RV style 7-pin) to hook up the flatbed. The trouble I was having is the brakes were not getting power. I have had this problem for a while, and it seemed to be fixed when I bought another adaptor. When it popped up the other day, I figured the best bet was to replace the 6-pin on the trailer. I went ahead and picked up a 7-pin connector from Advance and wired it in yesterday. I ran into some trouble wiring it up as the diagram I had was not right and the color codes on the back of the actual connector were wrong too. I broke out the volt meter and got to checking the truck socket and it was correct. I then made sure I had a good ground on the trailer wire and "hot wired" the lights w/ a little alligator clip jumper. Once we were sure of what wire went where I put it all back together. One thing that seems to help is putting ring terminals on the end of the wire before you wire it up. It keeps the ends of the wires clean and unfreyed and just makes it alot easeier to put the wires on.

Here is a diagram of the 7-pin. It shows how to wire it up as if you were looking at the back of the socket/plug. I try to keep these diagrams in the glovebox incase I ever need them. You never know when you will need one when you are miles away from the internet and stranded because somebody didnt put the plug in right and it got drug on the asphalt at 80 mph and there is not much other than a little bit of plastic left and you have to make it work somehow.

Here is the 6-pin. I believe it shows it on the face of the socket/plug, so you have to "reverse" the picture when you look at the back of the plug.

I have a simple way of remembering the wire colors. There are 4 basic colors that are used on a 4-pin connector (Brown, White, Green, and Yellow). When you get lighting wire from the parts store it comes in a roll w/ these colors on it. I will start w/ these first.

Tail Lights/Brown - Tail lights=tail end=butt=poo (color of poo is brown)
    Ground/White - I don't know why they used white when everyone knows black is the color for ground on 12V systems.
    Left Turn and Brake light/Yellow - Left=Liberals=cowards.
    Right Turn and Brake light/Green - I just remember that green and yellow are the turn signals and once I remember which yellow is, green falls into place.

Now onto the 6-pin. I would do a 5-pin, but I have never in my entire life seen one on a trailer.

12V(Hot wire)/Black - Again, I don't know why they used black. Guess who ever was figuring this out snorted and extra line when they got to the ground and this one.
    Electric Trailer Brakes/Blue - I usually have to look this up to remember, but I guess you could use "Blue Brakes"

The last wire on the 7-pin is the Auxillary or Backup light wire. It will usually be orange in a 7 strand lighting wire. These and the 6 wire usually come in a wrapped cord like an extension cord and not like the flat 4 wire. If you ever have any questions on this, feel free to ask. If you havea question I don't have an answer to on this, then I probably need to figure it out for myself anyways. G-pa always said you learn something new everyday.
    Last edited by DRAGOONRANCH; 09-08-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Are you using a "Hoppy" brand adapter. A lot of them are wired weird. They usually have the brakes and the auxillary switched on the 7 pin. Makes everything work except brakes on a regular trailer.

I had a Hoppy and a Hopkins, both were fubar'ed.
    'Cause if she don't,

Oh, and both had worked at earlier dates though. eh.
    'Cause if she don't,