Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chevy 350 Help!

Chevy 350 Help!

Hey guys, my DD chevy 3/4 tons motor is running like ****. I went to fill up one day and since then it has been running like ass. It misses real bad, backfires from both the intake and exhaust only at take off. It is extremly sluggish and reaction time is horrible. It also does not want to idle and dies occasionally when driving. The idle also fluctuates from 500 all the way to 1500 rpms. I have changed everything that i could think of that might be causing this problem. I ran all the "bad" gas out of it, changed fuel filter, didnt change the fuel pump cuz it seems to be workin fine and only has 25,000 miles on it. I also changed sparkplugs/wires, O2 sensors, Tp sensor, ignition coil, and new cap and rotor. I am running out of ideas on what could be wrong. My check engine light is fully functional but has not come on. If yall could put in your 2 cents about what u think might be wrong i would greatly appreciate it cuz it has been runnin ****ty like this for a few days now. Fred any ideas? Thanks

Danny

Is your battery ground tight?
    if it is backfiring it should have a "misfire condition" check engine light.
    Take it to vatozone and have them pull the codes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    did you adjust the tps when you put it in, to where it reads a certain amount of volts? i know on a ford you are supposed to do this.

Any exhuast leaks?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    did you adjust the tps when you put it in, to where it reads a certain amount of volts? i know on a ford you are supposed to do this.

Any exhuast leaks?

his style doesnt haven an adjustment

there's also, crank and camshaft sensors. Like hippie said, take it to vatozone and let them see what codes it is throwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

i didnt adjust the tps, i dont think on chevys u have to, and i dont believe there are any exhaust leaks.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Check the mass air flow sensor? I know the f.p. is practically brand new (I remember helping put it in) but your description kinda sounds like one going out. It'd be a pita but at least it should be under warranty.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Are you SURE you put the cap on right, it was the right one, wasn't cracked, wires right, etc? what did the old one look like?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

lowballing someone
    check the firing order/wires ive gotten them off before (2 backwards and it did that)
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    What year is this thing?

edit*
    Just saw the signature...nevermind.

I would say either cam position sensor, vaccuum leak and or intake manifold leak at the heads. Also, check to make sure your distributor hold down is tight. Has it been losing coolant lately? Check the oil for water too.
    Last edited by Fredo; 10-30-2007 at 02:43 PM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by colman
    check the firing order/wires ive gotten them off before (2 backwards and it did that)

you saying they switched themselves around at the gas station?

Quote Originally Posted by HULK-1
    Hey guys, my DD chevy 3/4 tons motor is running like ****. I went to fill up one day and since then it has been running like ass. It misses real bad, backfires from both the intake and exhaust only at take off. It is extremly sluggish and reaction time is horrible. It also does not want to idle and dies occasionally when driving. The idle also fluctuates from 500 all the way to 1500 rpms. I have changed everything that i could think of that might be causing this problem. I ran all the "bad" gas out of it, changed fuel filter, didnt change the fuel pump cuz it seems to be workin fine and only has 25,000 miles on it. I also changed sparkplugs/wires, O2 sensors, Tp sensor, ignition coil, and new cap and rotor. I am running out of ideas on what could be wrong. My check engine light is fully functional but has not come on. If yall could put in your 2 cents about what u think might be wrong i would greatly appreciate it cuz it has been runnin ****ty like this for a few days now. Fred any ideas? Thanks

Danny
    not to be gay, but did you check your oil. I had the same truck with the same thing happening. Its been said on this board tons of times, but the intakes leak. i ignored mine. The coolant leaked into the oil, the gear on the distributor got eaten up and wouldnt hold timing, and of course the motor was toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    Them things have been known to jump right off them plugs and switch around! Like little snakes them boogers are difficult to keep down. I recommend zip-tieing them to your engine block, apparently the heat keeps them relaxed and on their plugs....

it could be mexicans

lowballing someone
    Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    he did say that he changed the cap, that could have fixed the original problem but putting wires on in the wrong order would have a similar affect and created a new problem. simple mistake... and don't forget about the little engine gremlins they can do all kinds of wierd things when noone is looking
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come