Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 Runner

Sweet, 3 days into the new year, and already discussions of FJkid's finances. I think Grayson had that in the pot
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

So in march I will be running skinny 34" LTBs until I can find some 37's to wrap around my 15" wheels.

How hard is it to regear a transfer case from you folks that have done it before. I am going to let a shop up here install my lockers and gears all at once but I don't plan on doing the second transfer case until the summer. I already have the second t-case and am buying the IFS steering box on Sunday for the hy-steer.

I think lift, steering, gears, lockers, and a little protection and I should be wheeling.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    So in march I will be running skinny 34" LTBs until I can find some 37's to wrap around my 15" wheels.

How hard is it to regear a transfer case from you folks that have done it before. I am going to let a shop up here install my lockers and gears all at once but I don't plan on doing the second transfer case until the summer. I already have the second t-case and am buying the IFS steering box on Sunday for the hy-steer.

I think lift, steering, gears, lockers, and a little protection and I should be wheeling.
    I haven't done it, but after reading up on it, it sounds like a pretty simple job. I'll let you know first hand here in a couple of weeks, or you can come lend a hand and we can hit up 4th street.

Ok I have a weekend lined up to do a WAT. I still need to figure out what to do so I need input from people who actually value money and not just telling me to get the best and think i have no cap on my funds. The reason I am doing a lot of this in kits and new and not sourcing from the Junk Yards is the WAT is set up for the weekend of the 2nd and I need to get parts lined up now.

I need a lift kit that includes Hy-steer. I already have the IFS PS Pump so I was looking around and the amount of money people want for a leaf spring lift kit is unbelievable. I want to do this thing right, but All-Pro and Marlin are at $1600 plus shipping and Trail Gear is at $999. I hate Trail Gear but for $700 I don't hate them that much do i? What are ya'lls recommendations?

Next is Locker and Gears. I am going 5.29's and Lock-rites, I don't want to drop money on gears and then just weld them. I was piecing together the diffs and I am looking at at least $600 for each diff with new gears and lockers and master install kits and shipping, OR I can just order a whole drop in Diff for $760 from Marlin. Since I know jack diddly squat about setting gears I dont want to attempt it myself and I really don't want to take the time to run it over to Baertrax to have them install a damn lockrite. What do ya'll think, have someone set them or drop-in a diff? Where do ya'll suggest purchasing said parts?

Finally I am going to run some 34" skinnies I have for now, but I would like to run around a 37" tire on a 15x10 rim. This is going to be a trailer queen for now and I would like to know opinions on tires, favorite brand and tread pattern for about a 37x12.5. Also does anyone make a skinny 37" cause I kinda like the tall and skinny tires?

Thanks guys for the input, and Cox and Jerry lets keep this on topic and off the topic of Faggie and my financial position for at least a couple of days so I can actually get some opinions. Thanks gentleman.

Don't MTRs come in a 37x12.5?

I would vote for the drop-in diffs since that will mean you have a couple of spares to keep on-hand in case you need another one down the line.

If you want to go 37's you might want to look into 17" rims. I have found that most tires coming in 37" and taller are made for 17's. If your stuck on the 15's I know that MTR's come in a 37 12.50 15....... 12.50 is probally the skinniest your going to find. But i think i saw some 38 11.00 boggers, but they looked funny. IMO

WAT? wrench a thon?

dropping money on gears and then welding is ok. you dont weld the r&P, so you can put in lockah latah.

drop ins are cool.

go military tires.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale87 View Post
    If you want to go 37's you might want to look into 17" rims. I have found that most tires coming in 37" and taller are made for 17's. If your stuck on the 15's I know that MTR's come in a 37 12.50 15....... 12.50 is probally the skinniest your going to find. But i think i saw some 38 11.00 boggers, but they looked funny. IMO
    super swamper does make a 38.5/11 bogger that would be wierd looking though.

see i keeps it clean.
    Last edited by jerryg79; 01-24-2008 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale87 View Post
    I have a set of those boggers at the house, they are peemp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Piece the lift together. Do what everyone else does and get some 63" chebbys and throw the rears up front. Or find something for the rears and I've got a set of 4" marlin fronts I'll sell you.

I went with Marlin for steering, I bought it on sale so it was like $10 more than trail-gears ****.

Check PORC for gears/lockers/install, but I'd got the drop in route for ease and the availability of spare 3rds.

Didn't they start making a 37" LTB?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams View Post
    super swamper does make a 38/11.50 bogger that would be wierd looking though.

see i keeps it clean.
    Thank you sir.

I will be running my 34's on 17's. I have a set of 17x8's and a set of 15x10's.

I would prefer not to spend MTR money if i can help it.

You say military tires? I know nothing of these, don't they normally come in a 16.5" and how aggressive are they? Can they be ballanced worth a damn for possible road use?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    WAT? wrench a thon?

dropping money on gears and then welding is ok. you dont weld the r&P, so you can put in lockah latah.

drop ins are cool.

go military tires.

Yes sir, Wrench-a-Thon.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman View Post
    Piece the lift together. Do what everyone else does and get some 63" chebbys and throw the rears up front. Or find something for the rears and I've got a set of 4" marlin fronts I'll sell you.

I went with Marlin for steering, I bought it on sale so it was like $10 more than trail-gears ****.

Check PORC for gears/lockers/install, but I'd got the drop in route for ease and the availability of spare 3rds.

Didn't they start making a 37" LTB?
    I would do the chevy springs but I wont have access to a welder that weekend to redo spring hangers and the such.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    I would do the chevy springs but I wont have access to a welder that weekend to redo spring hangers and the such.
    Do it before then? The placement of hangers is well documented on POR.

What are you doing about d-shafts?

edit: (I wanted to just say "shafts", but I didn't want to give you the impression that I was comming on to you.)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman View Post
    Do it before then? The placement of hangers is well documented on POR.

What are you doing about d-shafts?

edit: (I wanted to just say "shafts", but I didn't want to give you the impression that I was comming on to you.)
    Haven't thought bout it yet, that was next