Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Folding ramps on a trailer

Folding ramps on a trailer

Are there any downsides to running fold up ramps on a trailer versus the normal slide in the side types that you have to lug around?

I've always found the fold up ramps alot more convienent, and would like to convert my trailer to that style. I was just wondering if there were any cons to it.

Only thing I could think of off-hand would be that if you ever load something on there that hangs off the back of the trailer you would have to strap the ramps to it to hold them up...or remove them.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67
    Only thing I could think of off-hand would be that if you ever load something on there that hangs off the back of the trailer you would have to strap the ramps to it to hold them up...or remove them.
    yeah, so far thats the only con I could think of as well.

Here is my basic plan right now (picture below). I have these things that look like D ring mounts that were leftovers from a job here at work. I'm going to use them as the tabs to weld to the back of the trailer. Then I'm going to run a piece of 1" round bar (red) through them across the back of the trailer. The ramps will have a piece of pipe welded to them, and will fit over the round bar.

Originally I planned on just welding the round bar in place, but I could make it removable by simply adding a set of pins on each end to hold it in place. Then to remove the ramps I simply slide the rod out and the ramps come off. The downside is if the bar bends any, it probably won't slide out
    Attached Images Attached Images  

no one should ever bust my balls about the garage thread ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Ramps are overrated. The only benefit I can see in ramps like that is that you can put supports on them so your truck's suspension doesn't get all jacked around when loading and unloading.

Shouldn't you worry about getting your rig together first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    Ramps are overrated. The only benefit I can see in ramps like that is that you can put supports on them so your truck's suspension doesn't get all jacked around when loading and unloading.

Shouldn't you worry about getting your rig together first?

Like you're a good one to talk. How long has it been since the uglytruck went wheeling? Or what about that hoop for the flatbed we bent? Its been what, 2 or 3 years since we did that? The 4runner has been down for less than a year, and hopefully after this weekend it will be pretty much done.

As for the ramps, most of the time I never use them, but they are handy for when your truck is busted or dead

I made mine slide in the back.

All of our trucks and trailers have fold up ramps. See if I can explain:
    piece of solid round
    thicker pipe that will fit snugly around solid
    weld tube to frame and then one to ramp
    ^put a piece of 1/2" plate behind tube to frame
    they work great just make sure you get some springs that will fit around the solid-easier to lift up and down

this pic may help-http://tamor.us/members-rigs/album140/P1250009
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    Like you're a good one to talk. How long has it been since the uglytruck went wheeling? Or what about that hoop for the flatbed we bent? Its been what, 2 or 3 years since we did that? The 4runner has been down for less than a year, and hopefully after this weekend it will be pretty much done.

As for the ramps, most of the time I never use them, but they are handy for when your truck is busted or dead
    so you never use the ramps, but you find it necessary to permanently affix them to the back, i see the logic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    Like you're a good one to talk.

I can't make much sense out of Clayton's post or camera phone pics but I am pretty sure his idea is better than your pipe that slides out the side. That sucker is sure to get bent and no longer slide out
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    so you never use the ramps, but you find it necessary to permanently affix them to the back, i see the logic here.
    well none of the trailers I used before ever had them. I'm going to use them now that I have them

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota

I can't make much sense out of Clayton's post or camera phone pics but I am pretty sure his idea is better than your pipe that slides out the side. That sucker is sure to get bent and no longer slide out

If I understand him, I think what he described is pretty much what I wanted to do. What I described with keeping the solid bar removeable was just an idea, but like I said it would probably bend and be worthless anyway

If you have some time I can get a real picture of how ours are setup. I knew I wasnt making any sense with that!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

I think they are overkill for a car hauler and will be in the way.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

and look ghetto hanging off the back of the trailer. (sorry forgot to add that)
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.