Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: a new motor swap

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    ah, the other shoe drops on "Blue Devil"/"Corvette SS", whatever the else they are calling the "super vette"
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

sucks that there is a pic of the intercooler, but not of the screw setup. Must be something fairly interesting looking at how short the blower is compared to the intercooler.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    sucks that there is a pic of the intercooler, but not of the screw setup. Must be something fairly interesting looking at how short the blower is compared to the intercooler.
    prolly just a twin screw whipple type. whats cool is that its in the lifter valley under the intercooler.

Interesting. Looks very leak/blowout prone.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

yeah, I always thought that was odd that ford slapped the intercooler in the lifter valley. I'm betting your right that it just sits low inside the valley, didn't really think about it that way from looking at the way the pic was taken.

the northstar in the xlr has the intercooler under the blower, similar setup but reversed. what do you think, 600 hp?

well, a bone stock 5.3 with an intercooled radix kit makes like 425-450, so I'm betting 600-650 isn't at all out of the question. The better question is how much more power will a set of full length headers and a different pulley make?

600hp is conservative for what that combo could make. Mast is making 540ish hp out of that same basic engine, NA. they probably be putting out 1000hp when they get some of these LS9 set-ups next year.

here is their newest 427, non VVT, LS3 dyno chart. i guess they just forgot to take the VVT off of the chart title.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey look its a 6.2L
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

This reminded me of the new GM diesel. I couldnt find the article to scan it until just now.

GM's surprising new diesel has no manifolds

General Motors recently took some of the wraps off of its 2010 Duramax diesel V8, revealing clever design features and technologies that clearly push the state-of-the-art in Vee-type compression-ignition engines.
    Unveiled during a media briefing at its Milford, Ml, Proving Grounds, the new 4.5-L powerplant will be one of the most powerful, lowest-emitting, and package-efficient light-duty V8 diesels in the marketplace, company engineers claimed.
    The new Duramax is scheduled to enter production in late 2009 at GM's Tonawanda, NY, engine plant. It will power GM's full-size pickup trucks and utilities, among other potential applications.

Rated output is targeted at more than 310 hp (231 kW), for 68 hp/L (51 kW/L), and 520lb-ft(705N-m).
    The Duramax was designed to fit within the ultra-compact envelope of GM's small-block gasoline V8. Its NVH profile also targets the gas engine. These aggressive requirements drove many of the engine's innovations announced to date.
    The new engine's aluminum cylinder heads' exhaust ports face inboard, toward the valley of the cylinder block. This allows the single variable-geometry tur-bocharger, exhaust-gas recirculation (EGR) cooler, and close-coupled oxidation catalyst to reside within the valley. The layout negates the need for separate exhaust manifolds while reducing overall width.
    The reversed-head orientation also means the new diesel does not use a conventional intake manifold. Its intake ports are internal, rather than arrayed along an exterior face of the head as in common practice. The ports are fed pressurized charge directly through the tops of the intake camshaft covers.
    The heads' unique two-tiered internal construction segregates the intake route, the chain-driven DOHC valvegear, and water jacket. (The fully dressed engine on display was not sectioned, so no internal details were revealed.)
    Compacted graphite-iron (CGI) optimizes the cylinder block's strength and mass. The block's cylinder banks are splayed at 72° to achieve a narrow overall package with even firing, but the narrow vee requires a balance shaft for smooth running. GM studied aluminum block castings but determined that the light alloy would not deliver sufficient long-term durability and could not cope with the cylinder pressures planned for the new engine.

Right side of the new V8 shows lack of exhaust manifold. Intake route is straight into the top of the intake cam boxes.
    Chief Engineer Gary Arvan (left) and GM Diesel Engineering Director Charlie Freese with their latest baby at Milford.

Cast-aluminum intake plumbing on the current prototype engine may be superceded by reinforced plastic before the program reaches production. The ultra-compact diesel V8 has its turbocharger hidden between the cylinder banks.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

That is gonna rock some Bubba mechanic's worlds, as if the new diesels hadn't already.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Hey look its a 6.2L
    just because its well-dressed, don't automatically assume it's gay
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I wonder how serviceble it is? what happens when you get an exhaust leak...by the looks of the pic it would be several hours to just get to the problem. Cool ideas...almost seems like a design excersise that is being produced which many times may not be practical.

I still can't figure out why someone can not produce a 180-200 hp diesel for sport utes small trucks that will give you 25+ mpg.
    Whats the point of having a 310 hp diesel that gets 18 mpg(inflated...I doubt it would get that in a burb) @$3.40 gal w/ a probably $4k+ (I would guess $5K maybe more) buy in premium when you can get a 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 that get 16, 12, 12 mpg @ $2.80 gal w/ around a $1000 buy in premium for the 8.1. I know some will say the 520 ft/lbs of torque..well the 8.1 has what, 480 ft/lbs? and will probaly cost $4k less.
    operating cost:
    fuel only
    Gas $2.80 @ 12 mpg= $0.233/mile
    Diesel $3.40 @ 18 mpg = $0.19/mile...again I doubt it will get that..friend of mine has an '06 Dmax that gets 13.5 mpg
    $4k initial cost diff $1k for the 8.1 $5k diesel =$4k
    100,000 miles of driving before you break even. I know diesels have a higher resale. but gas trucks really don't drop that much before a 100,000k so you get about the same percentage drop in resale...especially if it is an HD.
    what is the D-max now? a $7k option?
    other downsides: a diesel is a lot more expensive to repair. oil changes are expensive, fuel filters and fuel quality has to be closely monitored
    I like them, wish I could afford a new one and wish Diesel didn't cost so much. I bet the new burbs are 60k+ w/ the diesel maybe even pushing $70k. I'll keep the quadrasteer a couple of more years and do donuts around them until one comes up used.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    That is gonna rock some Bubba mechanic's worlds, as if the new diesels hadn't already.
    i wouldnt own one.