Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado - Spring 2008

Anything-Left-&-Up-of-Texas - Spring 2008

Just to get some interest going...

I bought a truck with the intentions of having it ready for Clayton this year, but I'm quickly running out of time with the sun setting so early and my new project getting started, so I'm pushing back the completion date to early next year. Plans are to definitely have it ready by TCC, but I've also been talking with the lady friend about making a CO trip in the Spring to do some scenic wheeling.

I know John Brown and Scotti have been recently, so do either of you guys have some tips on places to visit? I'm thinking about a 5 or so day trip, with 3 days on the trails. Don't want to do anything extreme, just looking for somewhere to wheel to a scenic area, do some camping and back country type stuff, then wheel out.

Any of you interested?

Branton? Scotti? Schubrings?

I've also been thinking about Farmington or other areas in NM or AZ since I have yet to visit either state for wheeling.
    Last edited by JeepPhisherman; 11-28-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Moab isnt that far. Go there! ~15 hrs from here is Farmington and its on the way to Moab, another ~3hrs. Penrose is ~12hrs and Buena Vista is ~14hrs...
    Last edited by agjohn02; 11-27-2007 at 11:13 AM.

I was thinking of making a trip up there in late May right after my girlfriend graduates. I was thinking of trying to hook up with the hippy and do some of the harder trails, then spend a few days sight seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    Moab isnt that far. Go there! ~15 hrs from here is Farmington and its on the way to Moab, another ~3hrs. Penrose is ~12hrs and Buena Vista is ~14hrs...
    I've thought about that, or maybe just hitting up Farmington, but the lady is a big fan of CO, and I thought it'd be a good trip to hook up with the hippy and get him out on some trails.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    I was thinking of making a trip up there in late May right after my girlfriend graduates. I was thinking of trying to hook up with the hippy and do some of the harder trails, then spend a few days sight seeing.
    I could be down on bumping the trip out past TCC, only problem is we'll be comming up out of the ground in early April, so I'll get pretty busy from then until August 2010

colorado is pretty useless before mid june. all the high, pretty stuff is still snowed in.

That was going to be my next question. Maybe I should rename this "Not-Texas - Spring 2008"?

I am with Cox on this one. Black Bear is one thing I wouldn't miss if going to colorado and it normally isn't open until July.

What about Tennessee?

I grew up in the East, I'm heading West wherever I go.

"Eduardo" - The Pink Jeep Lynda's Avatar
    Arizona....we'll go with
    Lynda
    Project "CJ" in the works: http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&highlight=lynda

August is safer yet to make sure everything is open. I went mid August and there were still areas w/ snow drifts along the trails. I just read an article where everything was blocked by snow @ the high elevations in July and they had to do some turning around... not fun on a slipery road carved out of the side of a mountain.

plus, its hot here in august and cool up high

I have been thinking about doing Moab in the spring so maybe be up for joining you if you go that route... I concur that most of the CO fun stuff has to be done in what we call "summer" here... I still want to go do the trip a friend & I planned (but ultimately got snowed out of). It was in southwest colorado going from Telluride to Ouray and a few other small towns via the old passes and camping up in the mountains in between.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

I hear the good time to go to Colorado is when it's too cold to do anything, but before they get any good snow. Maybe something like this:

http://keystone.snow.com/info/keystone36.asp
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Runner
    I have been thinking about doing Moab in the spring so maybe be up for joining you if you go that route... I concur that most of the CO fun stuff has to be done in what we call "summer" here... I still want to go do the trip a friend & I planned (but ultimately got snowed out of). It was in southwest colorado going from Telluride to Ouray and a few other small towns via the old passes and camping up in the mountains in between.
    Well if we can figure who all would be interested in a big trip, we can talk amongst ourselves on where we'd like to go. I'm really open for anything in that general area up and left from here...

Places I had tossed around were: Colorado, Farmington, Las Cruces and Moab.