Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Possible tow rig. Suggestions?

I was not saying those axles are bad I was just stating what the truck came with. For your aplication that d60 would be fine or you could sell it down the road and still get a lot of money for it.

Doug why whould use loose your rim and tire if you blow a u-joint? and the axle is nothing like having a d44 it is stronger even with the ball joints.

I can tell you about as many problems with dodge and chevy as
    I can with ford. They all have problems and all the parts are expensive on a deisel compared to a gas engine.

My truck has 100000 miles on it and all that has gone wrong in the last 2 years is a water pump and now the hydroboost is leaking.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

Krawler68
    By losing a tire and rim I was talking about how blown U-joints tedn to destroy Balljoints and make the knuckle fall off on D60's... the ball joint just isn't that much bigger than the D44 ball joint.

Thanks for all of your input guys. I offered $7,800 which is in the middle of the trade in and the retail value. I told him I didn't like how it was a company truck and all. He didn't argue with me. He simply asked if I'd like to drive it to Pick-Ups plus.

I don't think I will pay more than $8,500 for it, but I'm leaning towards $8,000. I will keep demanding service reports on it. He is selling it for the company, so he has to be the one to do the research on it. It should be pretty easy for him to find out what kinds of service have been performed on it. He said there should be some information in the glove compartment.

It really is clean for a work truck. The inside is flawless. The outside has some minor dings and some rust on the framerails. The only problem I could see was dirt/oil around the bottom of the front and rear of the motor. There wasn't one drop on the ground and it has been sitting for at least a week. My truck leaks 2 quarts per change if not more. If I keep 5 qts in it, it leaks worse than if I keep 4. Oil pan seal? Aren't all diesels dirty mofos?

Thanks again....

Moose
    i know it's a little late for suggestions, but this is my exact same problem.

i think a tow rig and a trail toy are a great idea, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

tow rig / trail toy:

- you'll be able to learn the extremes of your toy without worries of getting home.
    - if you break it, you still have something to get you from (in my father's words) "A to B."
    - you'll always have 2 vehicles. if one breaks down, you'll always have another.
    - you'll have either something very pleasing to get you around town (your nice tow rig), or a nasty loud toy to show off around town.
    - but added maintenance on two vehicles
    - and added insurance and payments

trail toy as daily driver

- be able to fix your rig as fast as you can for as cheap as you can and be able to fix it anywhere.
    - you'll never be able to have fun on the trails cause you'll always be worried of parking your daily driver due to dammages
    - but you'll only have to worry about maintenance on one vehicle.
    - plus more money for school

it's a tough decision unless you can afford it.

i can relate with some of the said problems of previous posts about F-2/350's. but i can also say positive things about other F-2/350's that have had better than average lives. i think the upper 80's to middle to upper 90's are better (as far as performance and problems go) than the newer ones. but then it's just the opposite sometimes. it's all random. you can't say one vehicle has more problems / more pros than another.

i think $9500 is a little high for a 96 F-350 4x4 w/medium miles for a diesel reg cab. that would sound a little better if the miles were lower or the vehicle was an extended cab. but cheap tow rigs are hard to find today.

joel
    Last edited by Moose; 11-08-2002 at 11:29 AM.

Got pictures?

Picture 1

Picture 2

BigRedFord04
    i havent been on the board in a few days so i'm kinda late, but i say you should buy it. you'll have problems with anything you buy used, no matter what it is...and there are always more stories of "i knew a guy once......as for having future parts, yeah...maybe...kinda hard to imagine parting out that truck to turn part of the drivetrain into a mazda but whatever. Axles in it are a D60 and Sterling 10.25" as someone has already pointed out....and to whatever doug was talking about the D60 only being as strong as a D44 ...good luck
    ...I'm going to steal your front axle

The truck looks to be in really good shape for a work truck. Like I said before if they take your offer then you are getting a good deal and will have nice truck to drive around. If something does break then you can drive the mazda while you are fixing the Ford.

Since it is a xl version I am guessing that it has a vinyl floor which is a nice feature to have in a truck.
    Last edited by Broncocustom; 11-08-2002 at 12:59 PM.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

BigRedFord04
    yes...the vinyl floor does come up nicely for a coat of durabak ...

I forgot to mention, i know where you can get a `94 F350 4x4 w/ a BALLZY! 460 for $1900 Single cab dually w/ a work box on the back. Needs some love.

It does have vinyl floors which I love. The seat is also vinyl which I don't love, but it has a cover. No CD player buy I have that. It has the digital odometer and cruise control. Stick to shift into 4wd and manual hubs are a must. The inside looks like it has never been used.

My grandma will definitely cosign. I am waiting to get in touch with this guy again. Once again, I offered halfway between retail and trade in value. My mom says to go $300 under that.

Still need maintence records and to inquire about major repairs.
    Also need to drive it to Pickups Plus.

True, I want the thing, but I'm going to make damn sure nothing is wrong with it right now or has been in the past.

Some powerstrokes are good, some aren't. You take chances.

Life's a dance......
    Last edited by Chadnutz; 11-08-2002 at 01:13 PM.

I looked at the truck since I realized where it was sitting from the pictures. It looks like a typical work truck. Ask Steven about how workers treat work trucks. I'm a little scared to drive the ones that the guys that do work for my dad drive. They don't give a **** about anything on the truck since it's not theirs. If you ever get the maintenance records, be wary - the records and the condition of the truck are only as good as the mexican who took care of it. The reason it has a vinyl floor, vinyl seat, and only an AM/FM radio is because the company knew it would end up getting crapped out. It probably cost them about a hundred bucks to get Shammy Car Wash to detail that thing to get it to look like it does now.

Do what you want, but don't whine here in a couple months when the plastic throwout bearing goes out, or when you have to pay for ~$250 injectors.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    hey nutz.....why do you not like the 4door that is sitting right beside it for the same price?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

More truck than I need and it has more miles.

BigRedFord04
    so did you buy it yet? still going to?

We're are 8 right now. Ray from Pickups Plus pointed out a few minor things like a brake seal leak in the drum and needing to replace the radiator hoses. Other than that he said it was in good shape. I am going to call the guy back today and offer him $7500. I need to find out how I'm going to get an application with my grandma's signature since she is in San Antonio.