Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 PSD dually

Hybrid View

99 PSD dually

Dad picked up my new DD today I wont get it till saterday.

1999 PSD, drw, crew, cab, ZF6, 200,000 miles (high miles but price was right)
    4x4 with manuel shift tcase and I think the duallys have the d60 but I'll check.
    3.73 gears with limited slip, front and rear replacements, leaf added to front
    It seems to be well taken care of and not been towed with.

What is needs:
    Gooseneck hitch
    trailerbrakes
    tires fairly soon, thinking 255/85/16 bfg mts (33.3x10.2) but open to sugestions.

Plans:
    Touch up paint in a few spot
    center consol top (where they allways crack)
    cut out air box and replace with filter
    re work exhaust, probably straight pipe till I can afford a system.
    DP tuner that I have heard so much about
    gauges
    hope to get another 2-3 years, 100,000 mile and 18-20 mpg out of motor.
    This aint going to be no black smoking race truck either.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

my suggestion is no tuner, maybe exhaust keep it simple and keep it stock you will have alot less problems

The 3.73s will be nice, ive got 4:10's in my 97 srw and they suck the diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    x2 what creighton said. had 4.10's in the '04 and it wasn't too good either. Pull a house down though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

ya I'm figuring and hoping for some decent mpg with the 3.73, 6 speed, 33's and a good econo tune. He said it was getting 15.5 mpg and its got them little 235's on it now. Its sad to say but all I could get out of my half ton was 13-16.6 mpg and about 7 with an empty trailer.

I'm just glad I dont have to drive to houston any time I need to haul anything.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I would not put a chip on it with that many miles, you will find that the high pressure oil pump will not like it, and it sucks to get to replace cause u gotta pull the tranny back to get to it

didnt that year model come with JB Weld Transmissions? Or is that just the 250's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    didnt that year model come with JB Weld Transmissions? Or is that just the 250's?
    Yes the '99 F250's have a special "race modified" JB weld transmission

Cool truck though, I had seen on Houston Craigslist I think. I think the guy was asking 15k if memory serves.....

If you ever have to remove the tranny you better eat your wheaties and have a big pocket book. The tranny weighs about a billion pounds and has to be removed with the T-Case Additionally a new clutch typically comes with a new fly wheel cause Ford boofed it up so bad, so take a normal clutch job and multiply by 2.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld
    I would not put a chip on it with that many miles, you will find that the high pressure oil pump will not like it, and it sucks to get to replace cause u gotta pull the tranny back to get to it

ya I wasn't thrilled about that, but most people I know that have had problems came from a ****ty chip, and driving with thier foot in it all the time. I figure a chip would be worth it for daily driving and stock for any load but I'll probably hold off on the chip for a while untill I do everything else I want.
    Born to Kill

I'd put a chip in it. It's a 7.3, they like chips. Haven't found any that will actually give better mileage though. 255/85/16 BFG MTs will fit fine. We ran into some trouble with a different brand of the same size of tires on my dad's old dually, they were a little wider and would rub sometimes. 15.5 would be pretty good mileage for that truck, but not really more than you can expect. My dad should have a programmer to sell. I think he's got 2 and soon to have only one 7.3 truck. I think he'd be selling the hypertech one, 60hp.

One thing you need to do on those 6 speed trucks:
    There are little plastic bushings in the clutch linkage, replace them. You have to get them at the dealer but they're a couple bucks each. I think the main reason of the transmission ever giving problems is because the bushings are worn out and damage the gears. I had a 94 with a bad transmission because of this and my dad's 99 has troubles from the same cause.

Straight pipe on those trucks isn't very loud. The turbo knocks out most of the noise. It's only really loud if you go to a larger diameter.
    Last edited by eight; 12-05-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I'd put a chip in it. It's a 7.3, they like chips. Haven't found any that will actually give better mileage though. 255/85/16 BFG MTs will fit fine. We ran into some trouble with a different brand of the same size of tires on my dad's old dually, they were a little wider and would rub sometimes. 15.5 would be pretty good mileage for that truck, but not really more than you can expect. My dad should have a programmer to sell. I think he's got 2 and soon to have only one 7.3 truck. I think he'd be selling the hypertech one, 60hp.

One thing you need to do on those 6 speed trucks:
    There are little plastic bushings in the clutch linkage, replace them. You have to get them at the dealer but they're a couple bucks each. I think the main reason of the transmission ever giving problems is because the bushings are worn out and damage the gears. I had a 94 with a bad transmission because of this and my dad's 99 has troubles from the same cause.

Straight pipe on those trucks isn't very loud. The turbo knocks out most of the noise. It's only really loud if you go to a larger diameter.

Thats how I was thinking. We have had some pretty good milage increases 2-5 mpg, but thats entirly how you drive it. Striaght piped to start and will more than likely stay that way.

I have heard about those bushings I will deffinently chack on that.

I would like some wider tires on the front, just because I hate it when you park and come back and the front has sank about 4 inches. Although I will probably just keap the same size all the way aroung for simplicity. We normally run 285's on the front of 2wds and rarely have problems (using common sence).
    Born to Kill

I am with all these guys on the chip, but I wouldn't personally drop the money for BFG Mt's. Why put a mud terrain on a tow truck? get the look you want out of some aggressive AT's and get more mileage and a better ride. Those beasts didn't have a great ride to begin with so I wouldn't do anything to make it worse. Good Lookin truck tho.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    I am with all these guys on the chip, but I wouldn't personally drop the money for BFG Mt's. Why put a mud terrain on a tow truck? get the look you want out of some aggressive AT's and get more mileage and a better ride. Those beasts didn't have a great ride to begin with so I wouldn't do anything to make it worse. Good Lookin truck tho.

255/85/16 is about 170 a tire and the last set we got lasted 60k miles (on a srw)
    Trucks ride like trucks and thats fine with me,

edit- Every truck we get, gets mud grips this is just going to be the first that gets them on the front too.
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 12-05-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo
    255/85/16 is about 170 a tire and the last set we got lasted 60k miles (on a srw)
    Trucks ride like trucks and thats fine with me,
    Damn didn't realize they were that cheap. Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    Because sometimes at places like Alto your tow rig needs 4wd and fairly aggresive tires to maneuver around the loose, sandy campground with 7k or more of trailer attached. That and filling feeders, livestock, etc. at the ranchito.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Because sometimes at places like Alto your tow rig needs 4wd and fairly aggresive tires to maneuver around the loose, sandy campground with 7k or more of trailer attached. That and filling feeders, livestock, etc. at the ranchito.
    Nonsense. I had an 89 GMC Dually with the 454 that was 2wd and I used that around my ranch for 3 years clearing property in the east texas sand. Maybe got it stuck a total of three times pulling brush around on a 25' Gooseneck in some sand but thats what you have the tractor and chain for. You think I had expensive mt's on it? Hell no!

besides he aint on the ranch he is driving around College Station.