Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 PSD dually

Even at 225K I have never seen a worn out clutch disk on those trucks. Not to say they couldn't have taken off in 2 every time and wear it out. If you replace it make sure to replace the throw out bearing and the $15 sleeve it rides on. That's more likely your problem anyway. While you're replacing clutch parts replace the little plastic bushing where the clutch pedal hooks to the master cylinder.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Have fun with that clutch, when you go to buy a new one most places sell you a fly wheel with it too. Apparently in 99 Ford made some really crappy fly wheels. I had to replace mine when the throwing out bearing launched into a million shiny pieces. I also replaced the sleeve kopecki speaks of. When I pulled mine the bar that connects the slave cylinder to the clutch fingers also had a crack in it. It is like everything that normally lasts forever on that transmission, doesn't....

Oh since yours is 4x4 like mine it is really super sweet. Ford made it to where you can not get the top bolt on the t-case out while installed (easily), so you have to pull the tranny and t-case together. Luckily it only weighs about a million pounds.....

What was your mileage before the tuner?
    Last edited by KrazyKarl02; 05-23-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I always pulled them with the transfercase still attached.

I think the fork gets bent because the throwout bearing binds on the sleeve. I replaced one once.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    If you have a real transmission jack it is not that bad, if you are pulling it using the Karl Crouch certifed 2X4 and a floor jack it sucks. That ZF transmission is heavy enough alone, with the transfer case it wants to rotate and do all sorts of crap.

Just my 2 cents.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I like my afe cone filter but it's really no different than K&N's, etc. I've heard good stuff about Amsoil's filters and I think they're a bit cheaper.

You said the clutch was said to be new but you can never know when buying used. Do you tow/haul alot of heavier loads? If so when you decide to replace the clutch you might look into an aftermarket clutch.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep View Post
    I like my afe cone filter but it's really no different than K&N's, etc. I've heard good stuff about Amsoil's filters and I think they're a bit cheaper.

You said the clutch was said to be new but you can never know when buying used. Do you tow/haul alot of heavier loads? If so when you decide to replace the clutch you might look into an aftermarket clutch.
    I'll probaly go with an AFE washable, oiled one not the progaurd. Is that the one you have? I have the AFE dry paper on it now but I think it won't last a whole lot longer, I can knock handfulls of dust and dirt out each time I clean it but there is some that stays permenitly trapped.

I have yet to do much haulling as we are still using a 3/4 ton truck, but one of these days I will have enough money for one of the fancy hide/flip hitches so an aftermarket clutch is probably a good idea? What do all the diesel fags run? I'm going to do some research tonight as I think I just finished it off in houston traffic today.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

oh ya I also suspect I got decent milage while not stuck in traffic but really didn't seem like much of an improvement.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I have the washable oiled AFE filter that came with the intake kit. My dad has the upgraded intake that comes with the proguard filter but other than it having a prefilter I really don't think it's much different.

As far as clutches go there are plenty of manufacturers out there like Southbend, Centerforce, Zoom, etc. I installed a Southbend in my dodge last summer and now I have no problem towing the toys or hauling horses/hay. From what I've read on forums alot of diesel "enthusiasts" prefer Southbend over other companies but I don't think you can go wrong with a different brand. Each model has different power and towing ratings to suite the vehicle so you have to do some research and figure out which one fits your needs. I went with the same model that Scott has in his dodge, I think it's the ConOFE.

As far as installing it yourself unless you are really ambitious, have a bunch of buddies on hand, and a transmission jack I would just have a shop do it. Pulling a 3/4 or 1 ton transfer case and transmission would suck.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I don't have the money to throw away at some shop, especialy with the price of a southbend clutch. Also I'm not for sure what a transmision jack is but I do have some 4x4s and a floor jack. looks like no gun purchases for me anytime soon

kopecki or karl- Do auto part stores stock the pieces you speak of? I will probably be putting one on tomorrow if I can find a clutch and flywheel

hmmm. I wonder if an ATV jack will work as a trans jack because I do have one of them.
    Born to Kill

was talking to my buddy who either goes to a dyno or track every weekend and said bel air is what everyone is starting to run. south bend is no longer the "go to" clutch.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    was talking to my buddy who either goes to a dyno or track every weekend and said bel air is what everyone is starting to run. south bend is no longer the "go to" clutch.
    Valair maybe? There are many people that say Southbend is the only way to go. To me you are paying for the name they have rightfully earned. The Organic/Feramic clutch from them is a little less then $500. It is basically the same as the Southbend ConOFE that Scott and Robbie have. Valair is relativly new to light duty truck clutches, no more then a couple years, but have been building heavy duty trucks for many many years.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone today with Valair. I will be going with them. after installing a quadzill xzillaraider in my truck, stacked with a superchips i have no problem slipping the clutch(superchips on performance-tow and the quad on level 2) when i get on it in 5th. add in that i am going to install some rv275s and i will need one soon.

as for air filters, i have an Amsoil 4510, i think, strapped in place of the factory air box. turbo is ridiculously loud.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    Valair maybe? There are many people that say Southbend is the only way to go. To me you are paying for the name they have rightfully earned. The Organic/Feramic clutch from them is a little less then $500. It is basically the same as the Southbend ConOFE that Scott and Robbie have. Valair is relativly new to light duty truck clutches, no more then a couple years, but have been building heavy duty trucks for many many years.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone today with Valair. I will be going with them. after installing a quadzill xzillaraider in my truck, stacked with a superchips i have no problem slipping the clutch(superchips on performance-tow and the quad on level 2) when i get on it in 5th. add in that i am going to install some rv275s and i will need one soon.

as for air filters, i have an Amsoil 4510, i think, strapped in place of the factory air box. turbo is ridiculously loud.
    yeah, thats it. im saving up for one so i can continue to do 3rd gear launches.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    yeah, thats it. im saving up for one so i can continue to do 3rd gear launches.
    if your wanting to do third gear boosted launches, your gonna need to save more along the lines of 1500 for a valair dual disc...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    if your wanting to do third gear boosted launches, your gonna need to save more along the lines of 1500 for a valair dual disc...

hence the "saving" part

where do yall order these parts from?
    Born to Kill