Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bigger tires + Hummer wheels = worth it?

Bigger tires + Hummer wheels = worth it?

I know I'm going to get **** for this, but I want some opinions anyway. Right now I have new 40" IROKs on H2 wheels on my 4runner. Well I want to go with a bigger tire, and would like to switch to stock backspaced H1 wheels (16.5 rim) in order to narrow the front up some and give me double beadlocks. On my last 2 rigs I always seemed to be losing a bead, even at higher pressures on narrow wheels.

So I guess my question is whether it is worth it to go through the trouble and expense to switch to bigger tires and H1 wheels? I feel a little weird about it because I have yet to even run the rig with the 40s I have now, but I also know that I can sell them for a lot more right now when they have no wear or damage to them. I've always been one of the kind of people who are never happy with what size tires they have, but even my girlfriend remarked that the 40s just don't look big enough on the 4runner. Here are some pics

As you can see I'm really wide in the front, which I hope the H1s will help alot. I think I can get away with running 42"s with just a little more trimming, if even that. 44"s would be sweet, but I'm guessing that is way overkill and would need alot more work.

How much up travel do you have? I think the 40's look good, but the wheels look to have not enough back spacing.

I've got it setup so that I can adjust the uptravel. Right now, its about 5 inches in the front, but most likely it will be set at 3-4 inches when I flex it up and check for clearance. I prefer to limit uptravel in order to keep it low.

As for the backspacing, that is one thing I want to change. With the H2 wheels and SRW hubs, my tires contacted the springs, but with the DRW hubs the damn thing is wide and my scrub radius is pretty bad. I'm hoping H1 wheels will help while also giving me beadlocks

what about using srw hubs and some wheel spacers?

I'll run the H2 plus DRW combo before I go back to SRW and spacers. The width isn't a huge deal for me. I would prefer narrower, but its not a deal breaker. What I do want is beadlocks, and for H2s the cost is prohibitive. For my original intentions, the H2/40" IROK combo worked well, but since my plans have changed I think I would be better off with something else

i have heard of people running h1 rims on a tire for a 17 inch rim, you may want to check that out, i am not sure exactly why they do it, but i saw it a while back on pirate, this may be an option for you

I am a fan of the H1's with reg hubs. whatever tire.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    I am a fan of the H1's with reg hubs. whatever tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    With the H2 wheels and SRW hubs, my tires contacted the springs...
    I don't think SRW hubs and wheels with more backspacing would work out too well.

yeah, if H2s plus SRW hubs wouldn't fit, there is no way H1s plus SRW would work

wheel it before you go changing it
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    I've got it setup so that I can adjust the uptravel.
    How'd you do that with a leaf spring set-up?

Also - bigger tires don't really help that much
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

lowballing someone
    if you want to see how the h1's bolt up i have a set here that i haven't recentered yet with 37" tsl's that you can test fit, i know they are't as huge as you want but it is an option

i have also heard the 17's will fit on h1's
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

ill be your pickup man
    IMO, the 40s look good, but yeah it is a little wide. I have recentered H1s and have only wheeled them twice, but they did not give me a problem.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I would think that you could pretty easily swap the H2's w/ somebody that had a set of H1's. Even make a few dollars possibly. You will like the H1's on the drw as that is what is on the beast. The fowty fo's still rub a bit on the springs, although that can be fixed w/ a little adjustment of the steering stop bolts on the C's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH
    I would think that you could pretty easily swap the H2's w/ somebody that had a set of H1's. Even make a few dollars possibly. You will like the H1's on the drw as that is what is on the beast. The fowty fo's still rub a bit on the springs, although that can be fixed w/ a little adjustment of the steering stop bolts on the C's.
    yeah, I have been trying to work some sort of trade, but haven't had a decent offer. What I have had is alot of people wanting to buy my set. As for the H1s on a 17 tire size, I'll believe it when I see it