Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new Gems

My new Gems

Got my new project(s) this weekend. an 82 and 83 SR5 longbeds. finally sometihng i have zero regard for and can trash. taking the engine/trans/t-case that came out of the wrecked tan on and placing it in the blue one. The tan one has a bent frame and front crossmember from a telephone pole. Since i have the title for the blue one im keeping it and parting the tan one to pay for it. now heres the fun part, im currently referring to them as gems, jewels, etc becuase of their awesome condition(pretty rust free). so yall need to come up with a name for it. also havent decided which way to take it. it currently has a 3in body lift(boo) that i dont know if i should take off or leave on to make it easy for a flat belly. also have some 34" tires that came off a C303 for it.

right now it looks like pigpens prettier/smaller cousin.

So:
    Doors- yes? no? tube? boatside?
    Front clip- fenders? tube? dove nose?
    bed-bob? flat bed? fawk it?

now for the pics to do the talking

my dad thought he needed a new truck too

Registered
    nice you wanna sell the axles in the wrecked yota?? for my datsun project

she's a beaut Clark!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Sorry to disappoint Tyler, but you gotta respect the original bedless blue wonder, The Uglytruk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

fill up those oxygen and "sedaline" bottles, looks like you've got some work ahead of you!
    are there enough parts between both of them to make one semi-complete rig?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yeah. the tan was running and the guy only pulled the drive train to put in the blue one. im basically filling in where the previous owner left off. who said anything about having a complete rig? if i dont, i have enough parts to make something happen.

doors: half
    bed: sell
    front clip: leave it alone

there's a sweet build buried somewhere in the depths of Pirate where a guy took a 1st gen toy and basically used it as skins for a cage. Had the tubework go right underneath the fenders, join into the cab cage, then fastback bars from the B hoop through the back window (no glass) into the tube bed. I think it was on propane, and 60s (that doesn't narrow your options much). This is straight trail rig, right?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota

there's a sweet build buried somewhere in the depths of Pirate where a guy took a 1st gen toy and basically used it as skins for a cage. Had the tubework go right underneath the fenders, join into the cab cage, then fastback bars from the B hoop through the back window (no glass) into the tube bed. I think it was on propane, and 60s (that doesn't narrow your options much). This is straight trail rig, right?

one of these builds maybe?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435014
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598025
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476550

nope I think it was an arizona guy, but was similar to your first link

im a fan of the "Hilux TT" build by fishmouth myself

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota

yeah, trail rig only. wouldn mind it being somewhat streetbale though. who do you think i am... robbie? im keeping this build on the cheap. im not going to go buy out marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    im a fan of the "Hilux TT" build by fishmouth myself
    yes, but something tells me a rear engined, rockwelled rig on coilovers may be a little beyond the scope of this build

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert
    yeah, trail rig only. wouldn mind it being somewhat streetbale though. who do you think i am... robbie? im keeping this build on the cheap. im not going to go buy out marlin.

How tall are you again? How well do you fit inside these first gen toys? You say they are rust free, but have you dropped the gas tanks and looked at the frame right there by the spring hanger? That is a bad spot and often hidden from sight.

Here is what I would do. Swap the drivetrain into the blue toy and do dual cases. Keep the stock gears, weld the rear diff, Aussie lock the front. Build a new front crossmember and mix the rear leaf packs together to build a front spring pack. Grab some stock 90ish model F150 springs for the rear and run them short side to the back. Ditch the bed, and build a small flatbed. Do sliders, but don't bother with boatsides because they are not easy to do on a toy due to the location of the cab mounts. Square driveshafts front and rear. Ditch the bodylift, and cut the floorboard to do the flatbelly. If you plan on beating the thing, build a roll cage or exo.

The 303 tires are for a 16 rim right? Be careful when grabbing junkyard rims, because most of the time 16 rims came off of IFS rigs, and the offset is to much to run with toy straight axles.

hey i got one of those somewhere
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by J Cooper; 12-11-2007 at 08:32 AM.