Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Rig Sleds (The Trailer Thread)

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I have tried to tell yall Rowdy has moved on up in the world.

(Val is gonna gomer outa one of yall if you don't knock off the fat girl jokes. )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

realized that I never posted my sled here. Bought in Hempstead for $500, pulled it to CS like it was on fire to beat sundown since it didn't have lights. Bought $200 worth of garbage pressure treated from Home Depot and re-decked. Lights from Harbor Freight, left the farm trailer tag on it and pulled it to Denton to pick up a toyota for the family property (the ugly-er truck). Got the toyota, pulled it back to CS and parked trailer (with toyota on top) for a couple of weeks until I had a chance to take it to Mississippi. If you've read this far you may be thinking that I've omitted some details, like repacking bearings, etc...the kind of maintenance you generally do when you buy a trailer that's nearly 20 years old and been hauling hay its entire life. Nope, only thing I've done at this point is source a spare wheel/tire for it and checked/added air every time I use it. One of the tires wouldn't hold air for more than about 2 days. So I pull it to MS with ugly-er truck on top, pull it back empty, park for a couple of months. I think at this point I got a set of new (to me) tires for it. $100 take-offs that really weren't in great condition. But at least I didn't have to drive 5mph to the gas station with a flat every time I picked it up out of storage. Next trip to Mississippi I pulled it out there empty and pulled it back with the gem you see below. That is one heavy-ass piece of chevy, if you were wondering. Sharpe and Kopecki can attest that the trip went down without event, however. The next big trip for this trailer was from Houston to Denver. Thank God it has a 2 5/16 hitch on it, because that's the size that Penske trucks have on them. Right under the sticker that says "Only Penske trailers may be pulled with this truck" (or something to that effect). Checked the air, loaded up uglytruck, and let er rip! Every fuel stop on that trip I did do a little once-over to make sure that it was, in fact, still there, and sure enough, she didn't leave me! She's now made a few short trips pulling uglytruck to a buddy's house to wrench (and even once to wheel) but now mainly serves to decorate my backyard. I don't really have any desire to move her out of the backyard right now because, to get it in there, I had to take a sawzall to my fence, unload uglytruck and unhitch the trailer, then comealong the trailer on in. It was a pain in the ass that I don't want to be subjected to every time I want to go wheeling.

now I'
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by uglyota; 02-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Eric's Trailer Blog: page 2

So I want to get rid of her and buy or build another. I know, I know. I've rode her hard and put her away wet, yet she always puts out with nary a whimper, but the backyard issue really is irreconcilable, so I've spent some time thinking about what I liked/disliked about this one and what I might want in the next.

First: of course the length. But turning radius is as important or more so. So I am thinking a shorter tongue length (really tire-to-hitch length). I know it won't pull as well but what good is that if I'm too lazy to use it?

Second: the rails drive me crazy. Tough to do anything axle-related with those rails in the way. Tough to open the doors or crawl under the rig with the rails in the way. No rails

Third: I think I like the angle construction (versus channel). It pulls like a dream and that may have something to do with the frame flexing. Not sure you can eliminate the rails without going to channel construction though.

Fourth (random ideas): Next one I want to put stake pockets and build removable sides for hauling brush/garbage/whatever. Make it a utility trailer when the need arises. I also think I might make the floor out of diamond plate treads and use 3/4" plywood between them. Think that will make things cheaper, and if I want to work under the truck with it on the trailer (i.e. change clutch on a trip) it may give a little more head room. Like a mechanic's pit! Lastly, I'd like to put a couple of receptacles for a hoist on it; so I could have a swiveling crane that I could put at 4 or 6 positons around the trailer. Do you know how much people out here pay for rocks?!

last edit: /blog. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by uglyota; 02-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Tell me again why it's hard to get out of the backyard? Looks like that whole back fence can open up?

PS, you're post are ****ed up, unless you're editing them.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

yes I'm editing them
    The alley's only like 12 feet wide, I might could swing it into the far side fence if I put a hitch on the front of my truck, but backing it ain't happening

is that your dog?

how much of your man card is left?

that picture of my Sanford and Son backyard and you question the validity of my man-card!? Buster was going to be my dog after my dad adopted it and decided after 6 months that he didn't want it anymore, but he gave him back to the rescue before I could get him. Kind of a touchy subject between us.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    that picture of my Sanford and Son backyard and you question the validity of my man-card!?
    it just looks like a pit bull would be more fitting for that yard

Soon. I'll take a picture of coletrain back there this weekend if that will make you feel better

is there any way to put a gate in your front yard to gain access to the back?
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

What about a front hitch on one of your vehicles?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

lot is 25 ft wide, house is like 20. Front gate is 2' wide. I really need to get in touch with the guy that owns the lot next door and buy it and fence it all in.
    I want to put a bumper on the tahoe, so maybe I'll find one that has a receiver and problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I want to put a bumper on the tahoe, so maybe I'll find one that has a receiver and problem solved?
    Exactly, I'm sure you've hooked a trailer to the front of something and seen the results of how much sharper you can turn.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I actually haven't...but I walked around in my alley making vroom vroom noises and turning a mock trucker steering wheel, so I can imagine what it'd be like!

I could sell you jeep hauling trailer. You're not gonna make anything much more maneuverable than it. The sides can be cut off, the frame is 6" channel. You could even shorten the hitch some.

It works well but I keep thinking I might want to take jeep and a quad on trips so I'd need an 18'.