Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Find Brandini a Project

If thats the case, try to talk that guy down to 4500 for the built toy, and go get it. Its pretty much exactly what you need, and it'll cost you every bit of that to get another rig to that point. Think of it this way, you spend a little more now, but you end up with alot more truck that you can either sell off or part out later

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN

As for toy efi being ghetto, that seems kinda funny to me considering stock toy engines are some of the most reliable and longest running engines on the road or trail today.
    I don't think they're are as grand as everybody claims. serviceble? yes. parts are cheap, engine is simple. A flat head continental 4 cyl is as reliable.

you have the same problems as anyone else. If they are so reliable I would think rebuilt ones would be expensive b/c there would be no cores, or aftermarket support b/c they never breakdown...who would wanna make OEM replacement parts if they never needed any, right? I know, I know, they came in everything....so did SBC's....yet you can buy a toy short block for around $300. that's cheaper than rebuilding a throw away aircooled VW motor.

Kevin Collins (use to be in the club) had a Lexus LX470 (landcruiser). this dude has owned more cars than most will own in a lifetime. He said he has never spent as much money on a car as he did that one. He hadn't even hit 75k and he had spent over $5000 on scheduled maint. I think he bought it w/ 40k or so. He said he figured out why Toyota's are so reliable...you replace everything before it goes out. When he sold it, it was due for another service that was $1600.
    He said he hasn't spent that much on services or fixes total since they have owned their '95 Range Rover classic from 2000.
    take for it for what it's worth.

A SBC can be just as reliable if maintained....anything can. Hell, the guy that came to fix my couch was driving a astro van w/ a 4.3, bought it new and had never opened it up, all hwy miles, drove all over the US for JC Penny warranty, had 525,000 miles on it. He contacted chevy to see if they were interested and they said no.

I just think toys are hyped up, anything will last a long time when it is only making 50 hp.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 12-30-2007 at 04:04 PM.

all good points, but what happened to the couch that required a repairman?

Get toyota carb, replace with propane. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman

eat granola, date girls with hairy legs

and take up playing the bongo's and get one of those cool crocheted rainbow hats to keep your dreds all bundled up. don't forget the hemp T-shirt.

throw away all deoderant in medicine cabinet, vote democrat
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman

and actually have a working rig, unlike the three posters above

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I don't think they're are as grand as everybody claims. serviceble? yes. parts are cheap, engine is simple. A flat head continental 4 cyl is as reliable.

you have the same problems as anyone else. If they are so reliable I would think rebuilt ones would be expensive b/c there would be no cores, or aftermarket support b/c they never breakdown...who would wanna make OEM replacement parts if they never needed any, right? I know, I know, they came in everything....so did SBC's....yet you can buy a toy short block for around $300. that's cheaper than rebuilding a throw away aircooled VW motor.

Kevin Collins (use to be in the club) had a Lexus LX470 (landcruiser). this dude has owned more cars than most will own in a lifetime. He said he has never spent as much money on a car as he did that one. He hadn't even hit 75k and he had spent over $5000 on scheduled maint. I think he bought it w/ 40k or so. He said he figured out why Toyota's are so reliable...you replace everything before it goes out. When he sold it, it was due for another service that was $1600.
    He said he hasn't spent that much on services or fixes total since they have owned their '95 Range Rover classic from 2000.
    take for it for what it's worth.

A SBC can be just as reliable if maintained....anything can. Hell, the guy that came to fix my couch was driving a astro van w/ a 4.3, bought it new and had never opened it up, all hwy miles, drove all over the US for JC Penny warranty, had 525,000 miles on it. He contacted chevy to see if they were interested and they said no.

I just think toys are hyped up, anything will last a long time when it is only making 50 hp.

You're basing your comments on one vehicle. I've personally owned 6 running toyotas (not including parts rigs), and other than very minimal maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs), I have never had to drop a dollar on any of the engines. This includes a buggy that averaged a roll every time I took it out. Overall toyota engines are some of the most reliable (albeit underpowered) engines out there. I know you may not feel that way (rover fag )

And whats wrong with parts being cheap? It seems kinda a stupid point to argue. Parts get ****ed up and wear out, why run a engine that is going to cost huge amounts of money to repair, especially on a trail rig. I don't think you're cheap remanufactured parts = crappy engine theory really holds water

did you read what you quoted? key word: SCHEDULED maintenance. This means that it is not one car, it's every car produced, period, no arguing that.

you have never had to drop a dime b/c you never put any miles on them..trail rigs, and the ones that you did drive you got rid of before the first oil change was due.
    I think every toyota jimmy has had had some kind of issue. the one he bought was on its 2nd motor, his Dad's had some kind of timing chain issue and some other stuff IIRC.
    same problems other motors see...no difference, no better.
    what makes it worth to keep them going is the cheapness of parts...that's why so many are rebuilt and kept on the road.

PS you're a toy

feller, you actually read all that grayson babble, then took the time to rebut it?

You don't want a V6 (3VZE) Toy, so the 1989 is out.

55s and 80s are cool, but not what you're after.

The 1988 4Runner looks like a good deal, but by the time you get it fixed up, you may as well buy the built truck (assuming you can fit in the cab) if you can talk him down some. It's ready to go. You might want to start pricing out parts so that you know what it's going to cost to get them installed. I'd put numbers to these but it's been a long time. Feller can probably help since he's been doing it. Rodney, Scott, and maybe even Cody could also.

gears - probably not necessary
    lockers - weld them
    tires -
    wheels (+bead locks?) -
    SAS -
    axle -
    shocks -
    spirings -
    mounting hardware -
    brake hoses -
    drive shafts (+longer after lift?) -
    bumpers - probably not necessary for a while unless unless + winch (~$200)
    extra t-case (+gears?)-
    hi-steer (+hydro?) -
    winch -

If you're going to spend $2k, $3k, $4k, or $5k AFTER the purchase of a stock 4x4 22RE, that would be good to know for your upfront decision. It might make some of the already built deals look more attractive.

Assuming the doors will get taken off, the added side windows on a xcab are a huge target for breaking glass. Something else to think about. You wouldn't have that issue with a 4Runner body. Search Pirate FS for 4Runner deals. Whatever you do, don't buy one of these POS models:

http://4by4runner.com/images/4runner%20016.jpg

Although I hear one of those locked at both ends with some 33s can hit the trails just fine.
    Last edited by davido; 12-30-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Last edited by davido; 12-30-2007 at 09:33 PM.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Grayson, thanks for the input but KK experience with new cars in not the issue. I am not shopping for a new car for the wife, but a trail rig. I have already decide on Yota, now I am looking for educated advice on how to build it.

It also seems 4runners are easier to find, pretty much looking for a late 80's one with a 22re.
    Last edited by Jackasic; 12-30-2007 at 10:56 PM.