Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Decade Of Tamor Party/Wheeling Trip - 3/1/08

The mall meeting in 2000 for me. Scott's "badass" toy, lotsa rigs, some women, burbach on a hood, and higgs' saleen convertible. Man what a front.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I remember seeing that Saleen and thinking, Fred's 'vert would dust that piece of ****! It was a cool car though.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    best conversation in the camaro that jimmy and flem can confirm:

"That thing got an LS1 in it?"
    "No, an LT1"
    "****, that's what I thought. My buddy with a saleen told me to watch out for a green convertible camaro running around here."
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    koppe bridge sounds awesome to me. let burbach show the new blood how a meeting should be conducted
    you mean not show up and make scott do all the work?

1st Gathering: Sonic on University (Where Brake Check is now. Met Mark, Andy, Brandon, Scotti, and a few others)

1st Meeting Place: Dogs n Such (It was where Shammy Express is now.)

Most People's 1st Meeting Place: Koppe Bridge Porch (Back when it was the edge of town and they had no business. Before they got too big for their britches and later closed in the porch.)

1st Wheeling Trip: March 7, 1998: 1st Time For Everything (37)

1st Clayton Trip: May 20-22, 1998 Scouting Trails (49)

1st Spring Break Trip: March 16-23, 1999: Spring Break in Moab (40)
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

I thought the first meeting was at McDonalds by the hochi trail on university?

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I thought the first meeting was at McDonalds by the hochi trail on university?
    Wrong, n00b!

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout

Ash House, Dexter St, story telling stump, Being at the meeting when Andy showed up and they announced he was going to Detroit (and thinking it was badass that there was a football player in our club, only to find out later he was a giant douche!) haha, just kidding Andy, don't crush me! Flem's hairbrained projects (that could be a thread in itself)
    Man, I don't even remember that!

I met Troy and Burbach at the first truck show at Rudder Fountain. When was that, spring '97? That was my intro into the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    best conversation in the camaro that jimmy and flem can confirm:

"That thing got an LS1 in it?"
    "No, an LT1"
    "****, that's what I thought. My buddy with a saleen told me to watch out for a green convertible camaro running around here."

I am still not quite convinced of the fastness of said roofless camaro, looks pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Wrong, n00b!

it was my idea for a club anyways! I saw burbachs jeep w/ the texas A&M Off-Road sticker on the windshield at Walmart. I left a note w/ my phone number and asked if there was a club, if not let's start one! He called me up and said som guys in his dorm and him were considering it... Davido, troy, ??,[pirate4x4 gayness: on] So F' off Noob! have you seen my post count? do you know who you are talking too? [pirate4x4 gayness: off]

it was my idea for a club anyways!
    Oh boy, here we go.

That would have been Spring '98 Andy. I didn't track Burbach down until the beginning of that semester. We had eyed eachother in the parking lot before. I was in Moore, he was in Crocker. I can't find the writeup, but he was in some pictures of Ft. Hood. I saw his Jeep in the picture on this page:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/readersri...lay.asp?ID=155

He had hooked up with some Hummer guys and was there checking it out that weekend. It was muddy. But Rockcrawler.com had the writeup with his name on it so I looked him up on the TAMU phonebook. We hooked up. Troy had left a note on his Jeep so we called him. Ryan Vance from our dorm helped also. He went to Hood with us that first time out. We met up out there with Brooks Harkey (Black CJ7), the Broone Family (Bobbed Yellow CJ8), and Scott Havis (FJ40). But backtrack a little...

Troy met us in the dorm parking lot. Cells weren't as rampant then, but I think we all had one. We didn't yet have his number so we waited. We planned on 6:00AM and I remember we had to wait a while. When he got there and we all wanted to go eat, it made sense to just meet at McDonald's from there on out.

In the "old days", we met at McDonald's and left at 6:30. If you weren't there and fueled up, you got left. We were pretty militant about it. It was funny because it didn't matter how late you stayed up drinking the night before, everyone was ready to go the next day. Reminiscent of cut.

[uphill in the snow, story]We were poor college kids beating the hell out of their daily drivers. There was no hotels. Hell, not even camping at Hood. No tow rigs. No trail rigs for that matter, just DDs. We drove 2 hours there, wheeled, ate at Fuddruckers, and drove home. Hopefully nobody broke so bad that we couldn't limp them home. Many drove home with broken axles and/or spider gears. We wheeled 1 or 2 times a month for a couple years straight.[/uphill in the snow, story]

It was good times, much like today. Here are some old pics and trip reports:
    http://highlift.com/trips/index.html

Ah yes, let's not forget the weekend ths Scotti's met: http://highlift.com/trips/041099/index.html

Mark did have Bluto and Norm setup early with the flat tow, so he probably had the first tow rig/trail rig setup. I guess Greg had the first tow rig/trailer rig setup.
    Last edited by davido; 12-28-2007 at 10:53 PM.

when was it that everybody almost got plowed on the side of the road on the way back...I can't remember who broke down. I can't remember who told me the story of the guy going off the road and into the grass on the shoulder almost hitting everyone.
    Off-road rigs were funny back then compared to today. We all thought 33" tires were huge! Trucks were the norm and you have better had ordered the Z-71 pkg! I seem to remember a lot of dodge trucks wheeling. Vans, Andy's and the dood w/ the V-10 that ended sinking it in a stock tank later.
    Others:
    Adam Lopez lifted 3/4 burb 35's and a 454.
    K collins wheeling the **** out of a brand new 1998 tahoe. ripped the torsion bar off the front! nice! ratchet straps to the rescue. scotti sinking his 4runner in the creek. pics of scott and mark falling in the crack... nose bleed and chicken foot...remember those trails?...remember crazy ray!? When he flooged the **** out of his chevy stepside up chicken foot and left pcs of his drive shaft all down the trail...that was awesome!
    Last edited by Graystroke; 12-28-2007 at 11:22 PM.

when was it that everybody almost got plowed on the side of the road on the way back...I can't remember who broke down. I can't remember who told me the story of the guy going off the road and into the grass on the shoulder almost hitting everyone.
    That was Clark Findley. This trip: http://highlift.com/trips/102598/index.html
    I still talk to him also. He lives in Houston. He's a Realtor & Reserve Sheriff. Has a big Harley F-250.

Ben was the V10 one that sank in the pond. C'mon Andy, got a little story for us Ags?
    Last edited by davido; 12-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.

tell the strap story!

some things just never change! ha ha

from your trip report on highlift.com
    "Chris Scotti has a near roll at Kyle's Step after taking a dangerous line."