Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Shop Setup

that first one is dumb. I picked up two powered dryers both have 110v fans that blow across the condensor plus...as bonus a I got a 10 hp compressor and a 5hp compressor. all of it for $100. that was the deal of the 1990's! My Dad's setup consist of copper pipe ran up and down on a piece of plywood about 4' X 4'. at the bottom of each dip is a ball valve to drain the moisture....works ok. for lines the best way is to slope the line. away up from the compressor..I think it is dumb to slope it that much only has to be an 1/8" every so often. then when you branch off for your air tool supply lines just drop a piece down "t " off of that and extend the "t" w/ a ball valve. there are plans on the net somewhere. black pipe is the way to go. do not use PVC. it can and will shatter. gets brittle as it gets older. if someting knocks it it will blow. One thing I have heard that is newer is using a type of pex for airlines...there are kits for these. super easy to install b/c it is flexible....I wonder if the gray pex would work? the kind w/ the aluminum inner layer.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 12-28-2007 at 09:06 PM.

i've heard that about pvc too, but I've seen many shops use pvc without a problem.

I used copper because soldering is easier than threading, but that was before copper became expensive.

I have seen the results. wasn't there but the guy showed be the shrapnel.

like this. this stuff is kinda stiff. it will bend and hold it's shape says 125psi @ 180 degrees...fairly cheap for 300 ft fittings are like $1-$2 a pc. I could borrow the tool from my plumber...hmmm
    http://www.pexsupply.com/categories....D=225&brandid=

we used copper at BMF because it was free before our plumber took the great white flight to Mizzou.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Did he piss in your bucket of nails before he left
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    I guess that's eaton like diffs/superchargers/etc? I know they cover a pretty broad selection of products.
    They take over everything. They took over a New Jersey based filtration company called Hayward a couple of years ago and it's still fawked up. I would rather take a hammer to my bathing suit area than sell it. EVERY order is fawked. I hope the plant blows up and they are forced to shut down. minus the and add a
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

OK, on to the next section of the USS. What about lifts? What brands? Types? etc...
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Rotary two post. with height extensions. symmetrical or not, not sure on the pros and cons there. 10 or 12 thousand lb cap. Run you 5 grand? Now stop dreaming about your "shop" at "the land" and reply to my PM! I could be a poster child for NOS energy drink today!
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

http://www.gladiatorgw.com/home.jsp

This whole setup is pretty nice. I'm sure there are better things out there, but for a complete garage system that would cover all your bases the cabinets and boxes hold up pretty well. The cabinets, workbench and the toolbox that fits under it are in my office and it's all pretty sturdy. I couldn't really justify Lista cabinets and drawer systems to my boss... Besides, everybody knows diamondplate is almost as good as glitter paint to a redneck.

If you cover your walls with the GearWall stuff you can hang all of the wall cabinets to it, and they sell hooks and such to hang hoses and bikes without finding studs in your garage. You can get a matching refrigerator and trash compactor, too.

We had Rotary brand at Eaker's also. They were nice lifts. Easy to set up and use. I prefer the non-symetrical setup as it can be easier to get short wheelbase vehicles on... though it does get a bit nerve racking working under a long wheelbase vehicle since the rear end hangs farther from the posts. If you just happen to be cool enough to have two lifts, I would get the other as a four post drive-on. They are just so easy to work with, especially if you have the accessory jack that trolleys down the center of the lift.
    BDR

BDR - you gotta get two of the bridge jacks. But then you hardly need the two post.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

Ya, bridge jack was the word I was looking for. I would still get a two post first though. It's pretty hard to pull an axle on a drive-on.
    BDR

I'm at work right now and a few things just hit me. Seem like they are relatively inexpensive for a permanent shop setup.

Plumb for permanent heaters. Having ours right now is badass. We have more than a one man shop would need, because our doors are open and closed fairly regularly. The radiant ceiling mounted ones, or even a wall mount.

Lighting and light colored walls/floors/ceilings. Makes all the difference in the world. Kind of like when you are looking at something and think you are seeing it all, then put a droplight on it and it makes all the difference in the world. Just this is an all the time thing. Not sure what the price jump is from flourescent to sodium etc, but you do see them surplus pretty often. Skylights and multiple doors for nice days. Also eliminates the dungeon feel.

If steel construction, I would have a trolley crane.

Fans, keep it simple. High volume, low velocity. Keeps noise down. Exhaust fan(s) also.

Something I'm betting you could get cheap would be a set of exhaust hoses. I don't think you would need the entire vacuum setup.

Keep as much as you can off the floor, any place something touches the ground, dirt etc seem to gather.

Plenty of dedicated table space, and seperate tool storage space. Close together.

Good tunes. Doesn't need to be much, cheap reciever and two old speakers. Aux input. (tv and dvd if you are named brune)

Pisser, and big shop sink.

Good vice, grinder on a stand,

Outdoor lights, one place for all fluids to go.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    Good tunes. Doesn't need to be much, cheap reciever and two old speakers. Aux input.
    Dont forget super glue for the station knob if you have to share the work space
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"