Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Shop Setup

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    We have a porta-cool in our shop/barn. It kicks arse in the summer. The barn/shop/shed building structure was built by Morton.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    We have a porta-cool in our shop/barn. It kicks arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    We have a porta-cool in our shop/barn. It kicks arse in the summer. The barn/shop/shed building structure was built by Morton.
    ya don't say....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Fixed it. I meant to edit the first post but accidentally posted twice.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    And running 3 phase to a normal house is economical?

sorry, i forgot that "ultimate" meant "cheap redneck"

i wouldnt call it "cheap redneck", more economical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

alright help me figure out a shop on a "30 stones" type budget.

I am thinking about buying this house. Great place, but the attached garage has been turned into a room. Sucks but it can't have been much of a garage in the first place and it will make a kickass movie room. I digress.

So I am eventually going to put a detached garage in the back yard. Thinking deep 1 1/2 car, with no intention of ever "parking" a car in it. But not yet. Guessing that'll probably cost me $20k that I won't have for a little while, so in the interim I need a place to work on vehicles where I won't get splinters in my back, and a place to store tools and bikes where I can access them easily and feel comfortable leaving them for a week at a time. So I need a slab and a shed.

Thinking about a 3" self-poured slab with no reinforcement, with dimensions about 2' wider and longer than a suburban (to keep stuff out of the dirt/grass), and a kustom shed that is real wide and not very deep, with a sturdy roll-up door? Maybe spend the money on a door I could re-use on the garage eventually?

Input welcomed and appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I'd say go ahead and pour a good reinforced slab that you can still use after the garage is built...maybe even pour the slab that you intend to build the garage on. No sense in spending all that money on concrete if it's going to crack and have to be dug up when you're ready to build the garage.
    BDR

I agree don't waste your time onsomething that you are going to have to redo later.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Don't you usually have to have the building planned out before pouring the slab, to incorporate anchors and conduit, etc?

Maybe I just need a small sea container right now
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

You don't have to have the entire thing planned, just make a plan on where you want the walls/doors so embed plates can be installed in the floor. Even then, for the size you are wanting to build you probably don't even need those*. Any plumbing you may want can be added later through-wall.

*This is just an opinion, I am not a civil engineer nor am I licensed to practice as a civil engineer in the States of Texas, Colorado, or Inebriation. All advice may be accepted at advisee's own risk. Advisor is not responsible for injury, loss of limb, or increased hippieness as a result of structural failure. Always wear a seatbelt. Have your pet spayed or neutered.
    BDR

I was also thinking maybe I could just figure out where the apron will go on the finished product and pour it well so it could be kept.
    Anybody got experience with those metal carports? Better/cheaper to just build a small pole barn?

please drink responsibly
    Last edited by uglyota; 05-29-2008 at 09:11 AM.

I would look into the sea containers, I'm thinkin bout gettin me one or two. they can be had for cheaper than a similar size tuff shed, they are sealed real well and can really take a beating.

The only thing you would really need to be concerned about is underslab plumbing or electrical, if you're going to run it that way. I think you would be fine just mapping out where you want to have the eventual garage, pour a nice slab with mesh, and when you go to build, you can just use tapcons for attaching to the slab. Wiring can just be ran in conduits outside of the garage and burried.

You'd probably need a permit for pouring that though, maybe a bigger PITA than it's worth. You could always do concrete pavers for a temporary surface.

Do the container for now, then keep it for extra storage after you build the garage. I'm thinking about getting a midget one for my ranch to keep **** in down there.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

rebar is cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!