Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Shop Setup

That's what I was looking for Ryan, good stuff

Seth (aka "Mr. Start Threads About Obscure Stuff That Has Nothing To Do With Wheeling Nor Do I Intend To Pursue This Decade"). Fawk off.

The last 4 people I have talked to about this project have said to get the slab poured and buy the materials plus brats and beer and we'll build it ourselves. Is this retarded or doable? One of them has spent a couple of years framing houses.

Are full engineer-approved plans (that I could get building permits for) available for reasonable cost anywhere? Could I just pay a CE to make me some (again at reasonable cost)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

google is your friend.

http://justgarageplans.com/83/plan-detail/2413.php

its doable, but make sure you have a dedicated crew that will not fag out halfway though.

Also, do you have to go to a big city for permitting. I know that getting plans approved in Houston bigger ordeal than a smaller city like Spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I think I'm in the city and county of Denver, but no HOA, so permitting may or may not be a PITA.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

You doing a wood framed house style garage or a metal building. If you need engineered plans on the metal building buy a kit. Will be way cheaper. If engineered plans are not required I can tell you how to do it. Check on the permitting before you plan too much.

Have fun with this..

http://www.denvergov.org/residential...1/Default.aspx

It says what work you can do, and what you must pay someone to do. Interesting.
    So you loose, I win!

looks pretty straightforward but the inspections process could be a PITA. Wonder if I could get the inspector to hang around all day and maybe swing a hammer if I offer a couple of beers and lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    looks pretty straightforward but the inspections process could be a PITA. Wonder if I could get the inspector to hang around all day and maybe swing a hammer if I offer a couple of beers and lunch?
    straightforward....bureaucracy....someone hasnt dealt with the city before
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    Seth (aka "Mr. Start Threads About Obscure Stuff That Has Nothing To Do With Wheeling Nor Do I Intend To Pursue This Decade"). Fawk off.
    ???
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I thought the repetition of brett's post was you suggesting that I take my homo-wner talk elsewhere.

no no, I read to the bottom of page 2 and thought that was it, missing a few posts including brett's. That site is pretty wild.

homo-wner. nice.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

eric, look into hiring a third party inspector if denver uses them. they are not pricks that couldn't get a job anywhere else and you only have to wait a day at the most to get an inspection. I can usually get the people we use out the same day if I call them early enough. It usually cost more but saves a lot of headache (and lots of time) and they will usually help you out and answer questions rather than just showing up and looking for a red tag item so they can collect more $ on a reinspection fee. I have had the our 3rd party company show up at my jobsite and he told me something wouldn't pass, said he would be back later in the day. He came back and asked me if I fixed it and handed me my green tag.

how about make the concrete pad off the back an enclosed porch? That way you could have more room and lock stuff up but wouldn't have to tear it out when you move?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

actually you can see in the aerial view that it was like that at some point recently, I guess that's the pile of lumber in the yard. That pad is going to be covered with a huge farkin wood patio. With things moving a little faster now, I think I am going to see if there's enough lumber there to build a small shed, and pour an even smaller, thinner (2"?) slab to put it on. Nail gun and compressor cost $60/day to rent, so expect a BDR-esque compressor thread shortly

wtf hippie im thinking of adding 128sf of 4" and its not even 2cy, dont be a joo and do 2" that's dumb.
    So you loose, I win!

When I'm looking at something disposable at $100/yard it's major joo time. Hmmm maybe I need to build a shed with a floor and put it on blocks